Sony NAS-CZ1 Network Audio System

Rate this topic

vaiofreak

Sony has introduced Network Audio System in summer of 2005. And again thanks to Sony's skillful marketing (sarcastically speaking), I learnt about it just a few days ago in February of 2006 by browsing MySony site. There was a press release in Europe and that's about it. I do not think Sony USA has ever done anything about promoting it here.

You might ask what is so great about this system?

Well, when you first look at it, the design looks kind of futuristic. It has a network function allowing you to stream your music from any PC in the house and what's more, it is even compatible with iTunes. This can be done by using your wired LAN or if you attach a wireless converter (that is my setup at home), you can enjoy your streaming wirelessly.

Another plus, it also has a WEB RADIO function, allowing a user to stream any internet radio station.

As you will see in the pictures, the unit has omni-directional speaker system which creates a wide acoustic field.

Here are some short descrtiption of the system:

Sony’s NAS-CZ1 Network Shelf System allows you to stream music from your PC to any room wired w/ Ethernet within your home network. Fitting nicely on a shelf or table top, the NAS-CZ1 is versatile when it comes to enjoying your music in various locations of your house. The NAS-CZ1 also includes a single CD compartment for playing your favorite CDs and is MP3 (CD-R/RW) Playback compatible. Rated at 40 Watts (in operation) and including 4 tweeters and 2 subwoofers, the NAS-CZ1 provides you with powerful, clear sound ideal for any single room. NAS-CZ1 supports non-secure music files in the MP3, WAV, S/B, ATRAC®, ATRAC3Plus®, WMA, and ACC formats. Compatible with playback of these non-secure music files with following jukebox applications: iTunes, Sonicstage, Windows® Media Player, and Musicmatch™.

Features:

* Stream Music from your PC to any room wired w/ Ethernet within your home network

* Create up to 5 custom user profiles

* Create 4 types of Play lists automatically

* Single Disc CD & MP3 (CD-R/RW) Playback1

* Hi-Fi Audio Driven by 360 degree Omni-Direction

* Store and play your favorite Songs with included Remote Control

* Supports non-secure music files in the MP3, WAV, S/B, ATRAC®, ATRAC3®, WMA, and ACC formats. Compatible with playback of these non-secure music files with following jukebox applications: iTunes, Sonicstage, Windows® Media Player, and Musicmatch & trade.

Specifications

Audio

* Frequency Range: FM: 87.5-108 MHz

* AM: 530-1710 kHz

Inputs and Outputs

* Analog Audio Input(s): x1 (Rear Mini Plug)

* Ethernet Port: x1 (Rear)

* Headphone jack: x1 (Side Mini Plug)

* Antenna Terminal(s): x1 (Rear FM)

* Antenna Terminal(s): x1 (Rear AM)

Power

* Power Consumption (in Operation): 40 Watts

* Power Requirements: 120 Volts AC, 60 Hz

Speaker

* Driver Unit: x6 (4 Tweeters and 2 Woofers with 2 of the Tweeters aimed to the rear)

The supplied M-Crew software that can be installed on several PCs allows to register your music with the system. When you start the Network function on the player it will search for available servers and let you choose which one you want to use. If you are like me that has several VAIO systems in the house, it can also use VAIO Media servers. You can also choose to have it automatically connect to one specific M-Crew server.

User Profile (up to 5) allows different users select their preferred server and therefore music stored. Organize your Playlists, Albums, Favorites, etc.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Nice Info Panel shows all kinds of info from network state and configuration to Music titles:

IPB Image

Top:

IPB Image

Connections in the Back:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Neat Remote:

IPB Image

Documentation and Software Sony also threw in a long thin network cable and Loop Antenna

IPB Image

Screen Shots of the Software:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Supports AtracPlus up to 256 kbps as you see in the above screen shot.

WEB RADIO set up screen:

IPB Image

So as you see it is an interesting model. You can always stream/play your music from your desktop but you cannot always place it in your living room (unless it is a pretty VAIO PC :D ) as it messes up with your decor or your Mom's decorating style.

Edited by VAIO Connoisseur

• 1 month later...

it only works with wired ethernet? i wonder if you plugged it into a wireless router or access point would it work?

does it get assigned an i.p. address like a normal network object or does it have some other comunication system? i'm intrigued at that price.

• 1 month later...

You can get this now on pre-order for $69.95 with free shipping from Amazon.com. They're really trying to get rid of these -- but it's a great sounding unit with full SonicStage support.

it only works with wired ethernet? i wonder if you plugged it into a wireless router or access point would it work?

does it get assigned an i.p. address like a normal network object or does it have some other comunication system? i'm intrigued at that price.

It works with wired ethernet, or with a Wireless Access Point (WAP) connected to its ethernet port. You then can access your full SonicStage library and playlists.