NetMD and MDLP malfunctions

Rate this topic

klmccann

I bought a MZ-N707 in OCT 2002 and it worked great up until two weeks ago. I began to transfer alot of Podcasts and I was recording daily. The SS v3.3 would transfer the files to my net MD and when I would play them back the unit would erase the disc.

My other unit Is doing the same thing.

Does anyone have the same difficulties? I love MD and dammit I will not buy an IPOD!

I bought a MZ-N707 in OCT 2002 and it worked great up until two weeks ago. I began to transfer alot of Podcasts and I was recording daily. The SS v3.3 would transfer the files to my net MD and when I would play them back the unit would erase the disc.

My other unit Is doing the same thing.

Does anyone have the same difficulties? I love MD and dammit I will not buy an IPOD!

Try taking a blank disc (or any disc you don't mind losing the content of) and recording analog through your line in or mic in. See if that will play back. If it still comes back and says Blank Disc then you have probably suffered from a broken ribbon cable that goes to the recording head. I have a R909 that does the same thing, everything looks normal through the recording process but when you play it the unit gives a Blank Disc error although the unit will still play older recordings. There is a thread in the MDLP forum about how to attempt a repair of the unit if you have some confidence in your repair skills.

If you can succesfully record analog but not through USB then probably it is a SS issue.

• 1 month later...

I have an MZ-R700, and I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but I stopped using it altogether, though it looks great. I am a songwriter, had 80 new songs on there, and went to record a new one, and zpppp, it lost all of the songs. That's a real loss, you know. I've tried it again with different discs, but to a lesser and safer degree, and it doesn't take long before it loses whatever I've recorded before. I have a feeling it's a TOC issue for some reason. I think it's cutting itself off before it finishes the toc, but I'm not sure of that, and have no idea why it would do it. So, this pretty little piece of junk is just sitting there. This has happened since I bought it new, but I didn't have time to return it, and at first I thought it was something I was doing, or that I used a couple of older discs someone gave me, but it happens with new discs, even when I'm super careful.

But... it records fine part of the time, and plays back older discs with no problems. Any ideas? Thanks, DFC

The symptoms for both contributors sound like the "classic faulty optical block" problem whereby an internal ribbon cable which connects the magnetic head to the circuitry has a hairline fracture in it, caused presumably by the constant flexing of the cable.

As I understand it this head is used during recording, but not during playback.

If it is sometimes working, I suggest that occasionally the conductor with the hairline fracture makes good contact, but more often than not it doesn't.

I have an N910 with this fault.

SS quite happily allows the transfer of a track, or tracks by USB, but when it comes to playing back the machine comes up with an error message (sometimes it spins for a while as if it is struggling to find the track), but more often than not there is the dreaded BLANKDISC message.

If you are using a machine such as this for playback only, I would suggest putting the tab on the MD itself to "read only" (or "write protect", whichever is the correct terminology).

Otherwise accidentally pressing T-mark will probably end in disaster!

There is plenty of information elsewhere on this forum regarding this problem, and at least one article on how it might be repaired (much skill needed!)

Hope this helps

The symptoms for both contributors sound like the "classic faulty optical block" problem whereby an internal ribbon cable which connects the magnetic head to the circuitry has a hairline fracture in it, caused presumably by the constant flexing of the cable.

As I understand it this head is used during recording, but not during playback.

On a side-note, why do you refer to it as a faulty optical block, when you say it is the magnetic head that has a problem? Aren't you getting things mixed up a bit? :huh: