iPod mania hits Japan

Webmaster

Business Week reports that iPods are taking Japan by storm. From the article: It seems iPod mania is alive and well in Japan -- one of the most competitive consumer-electronics markets on the planet. Despite an array of well-entrenched Japanese rivals, such as Sony and Matsushita, the iPod had cornered 51.3% of the digital-music player market as of the end of 2005, up from about 32% in 2004, according to research firm BCN. Sony was a distant second with 16.2%, while Panasonic grabbed just 8.2% of the market.

Business Week reports that iPods are taking Japan by storm. From the article: It seems iPod mania is alive and well in Japan -- one of the most competitive consumer-electronics markets on the planet. Despite an array of well-entrenched Japanese rivals, such as Sony and Matsushita, the iPod had cornered 51.3% of the digital-music player market as of the end of 2005, up from about 32% in 2004, according to research firm BCN. Sony was a distant second with 16.2%, while Panasonic grabbed just 8.2% of the market.

Crap. That sucks... invading the MD HOMELAND!!

Game, set, match.

At least for now. If Sony can come up with something close to iTunes to match up w/ their superior hardware, then they might have a shot (I'm not talking about MD - that is now (and really always was) a niche market. The kinds of things you can do w/ Smart Playlists in iTunes - it just isn't there in SS. It sounded like they were going there w/ Connect, but that appears to have imploded. The other big problem Sony has is the HUGE third-party market for iPods - the integration with car stereos, accessories, etc. etc. I'm not sure they can ever catch up, honestly. It's too bad, because we all have huge investments in Sony hardware.

Game, set, match.

At least for now. If Sony can come up with something close to iTunes to match up w/ their superior hardware, then they might have a shot (I'm not talking about MD - that is now (and really always was) a niche market. The kinds of things you can do w/ Smart Playlists in iTunes - it just isn't there in SS. It sounded like they were going there w/ Connect, but that appears to have imploded. The other big problem Sony has is the HUGE third-party market for iPods - the integration with car stereos, accessories, etc. etc. I'm not sure they can ever catch up, honestly. It's too bad, because we all have huge investments in Sony hardware.

While I'll admit Sonic Stage 3.4 is where it should have been from the beginning, and certainly has the advantage now of RE-downloading back from the MD discs... sure it's no iTunes, but considering where SS was just 3 years ago...

Also your 'integration' comment isn't that valid considering all you need is an AUX input which is becomming more and more common w/ car stereos for the sake of mp3-portables in general. Accessories? Who need's more skins and junk? MD is a solid product as a recording device & playback unit.

As discussed forever in these forums, Sony created a strong product, they just messed up the marketing angle 100%.

DEUCE.

Edited by theblueraja

While I'll admit Sonic Stage 3.4 is where it should have been from the beginning, and certainly has the advantage now of RE-downloading back from the MD discs... sure it's no iTunes, but considering where SS was just 3 years ago...

Also your 'integration' comment isn't that valid considering all you need is an AUX input which is becomming more and more common w/ car stereos for the sake of mp3-portables in general. Accessories? Who need's more skins and junk? MD is a solid product as a recording device & playback unit.

As discussed forever in these forums, Sony created a strong product, they just messed up the marketing angle 100%.

DEUCE.

I'm talking about the fact that you can buy kits for almost all factory and 3rd-party car stereos that will let you control your iPod from the head unit, and charge it. Many new cars are coming with this feature standard. Hell - even Sony makes an iPod kit for their car stereos. That's a lot more than just plugging a cord from the headphone jack to an aux input. Not to mention literally thousands of other iPod-ready gadgets and accessories - everything from clock radios, to skins, cases, etc. etc. Rememember - I'm talking about the general public's perception - not what's "right" or who's better. You walk into Target and see a whole row of stuff for iPods.

Besides - as has been said many times before on this board - comparing MD to iPod is somewhat pointless - you can't record on an iPod.

That will change, I'm sure.

All rather interesting. Well, I use MiniDisc in my car via the AUX inputs. My Nephew, who has an IPOD, always marvels at my minidisc, mostly because of the capability of removable media. He has one of those IPOD adaptors for his car, and he says, that its almost useless other than charging his IPOD and having the signal coming thru the aux in to his head unit.

He says its slower to react than the IPOD keypad, and while driving is almost impossible to keep out of the ditches while trying to find a song. He is using an Alpine head unit, and finds the display acceptable for normal radio/cd functions, but to try to find a song which is on the IPOD,,,well

What do truckers say,,,,,Keep the shiny side up. So what does he do,,,,before he starts his car, he programs his IPOD manually to playlist play. Essentially the same thing I do with Minidiscs, but I can at least select which playlists I want to listen to by swapping in and out discs,,,which can be done one handed while driving.

Robert

Essentially the same thing I do with Minidiscs, but I can at least select which playlists I want to listen to by swapping in and out discs,,,which can be done one handed while driving.

Robert

WELL SAID!! I have a friend who bought a car that has an iPod input thingy, but it's in the GLOVE BOX, and the stereo face doesn't display the track TEXT INFO, only NUMBERS!

I think you can record on them, just in low quality

Well, MD users are very much like iRiver users, very sure of what they say without so much backup of hardcore data. I'm trying to sell off my last MD unit basically because of bulk, quality of output (sony units) and it is not nearly as useful as my iPod. My friend has 5g iPod which can now record analogue line in with 16bit 44.1 hz, the same as minidisk. Yes, I can remove my disk and give it to a friend after a recording, but where in Canada will I find another user these days of minidisk? No where. It is far easier and more useful to just usb an iPod to a computer and upload the high quality recording rather than waiting for all of the problems with Sonic Stage to "help" you get your songs to your computer. Of course there is a price factor as well. If you use a portable HD capable unit, the price nearly matches that of a high-end MD unit, but you do not have to buy disks. For me and many others who would like to record in 16 bit 44.1 hz, you can record for 94 minutes on hi-md or pretty much endlessly on a comparably prices HD unit. No, minute or so cut of no music while changing disks etc. Game over MD.

Then what are you doing in this forum?

Just keep hoping for some life for minidisk. I've had it for so long and praised it blindly for longer, I just keep hoping for a tidbit of good news. 3.4 was almost an eye-opener... but then it requires that windows has no problems at all. My computer is osx, so minidisk is out except for file transfer (300 meg per 10 min anyone?), so i use my parents which does not have a sound card driver in proper alignment, so sonic stage will refuse certain important functions. I bought the mzrh10 in high hopes if heaps before much was known. It was my first Sony since mz-r37 (the best looking unit i reckon). Falls short, sound is... fuzzy. lots of noise in both ear channels when listening with innear-ear monitors, transfer of mp3 in ligtning fast bursts of... why not just do realtime? Ripping on my parents' not yet antiquated p4. 1.6 was dismally slow, about 20-30 min per cd while it takes 6 or 7 on my slow ibook 1ghz. Certain songs would still not transfer from my MP3 collection to sonicstage as if sonic stage hates CD's not from certain stores.

I have used and uploaded all my MD's via analogue connection (100 or so) in the recent years, recorded many concerts, sound effects etc and enjoyed it, but really - how long can this pain go on?! Why not a speedy connection, compatibility across all MP3 borders, functionality in one programme not several, native aiff or wav recording or mp3 recording? It is like carving out a wonderful chicken breast and placing it in a large freezer bag, stuffing into the oven and baking it for 3 hours. Sure, if you pick for 2 days, usable meat will be found, but it is not worth the effort when in market you can get a better tasting one with spices all-ready for 5$.

I have been part of this forum for yonks, just a looker and sometimes a writer. Hoping since 2002 or so for something truly good to come of MD. Have waited and in the meantime, found comfort in a smaller nano which while boring in its popularity, at least works and sounds like bloody hell froze over.

Well, the question is when will Sony wake up? Feb 28 is getting closer and closer, and if Apple really released their touch screen iPod, Sony might be in trouble. Forget about MD, Sony cannot even focus their Netowrk Walkman development and connect. If Sony cannot even get a hold of their local market, they need to act, now.

Minidisc wasn't designed to compete with the portable hdd and flashplayers; it was designed as a replacement for the cassette. Yes, they could have marketed it better outside of Japan but would that have stopped iriver and Apple from going ahead with r&d on a hdd player? Threads that degenerate into ruing the demise of md have become as stale as the classic thread "which sounds better, i-pod or md".

Minidisc wasn't designed to compete with the portable hdd and flashplayers; it was designed as a replacement for the cassette. Yes, they could have marketed it better outside of Japan but would that have stopped iriver and Apple from going ahead with r&d on a hdd player? Threads that degenerate into ruing the demise of md have become as stale as the classic thread "which sounds better, i-pod or md".

Well put! That should close this thread, actually. :)

Sorry, ipod--you still don't support seamless track playback(last time I checked--can anyone verify?)--so my DJ mixes are staying on MD...8)

You know, I hear about this all the time, but oddly enough, I have like 2 CDs I ripped into SS to MD that had slight gaps... (when they were supposed to be seamless like on the CD itself) ?

Edited by theblueraja

Sorry, ipod--you still don't support seamless track playback(last time I checked--can anyone verify?)--so my DJ mixes are staying on MD...8)

Actually there is a workaround the iPod shortcoming when playing seamless. Check out www.rockbox.org. I use this for my iPod and it does crossfading and gapless as well but never tried that though.

Does Simple Burner assign track info, etc, or is it more like old school ripping? I've never used it.

yeah it uses the same cddb as everything else, not sure it assigns cover images though. it's only about 2meg & it's in the downloads section

Well put! That should close this thread, actually. :)

I still have the Sony TCD5M cassette recorder and it has no restrictions nor ecryptions whatsoever and it does not require a computer to manage its music. If it was designed to replace the cassette, they certainly did not remember what the cassette did when they started designing.

I still have the Sony TCD5M cassette recorder and it has no restrictions nor ecryptions whatsoever and it does not require a computer to manage its music. If it was designed to replace the cassette, they certainly did not remember what the cassette did when they started designing.

if you would recall, md started out having no computer connection, in 1992 many households had no computer. even those with a computer had little storage let alone mp3 players. perspective wise windows 3.1 [not 3.11] & OS/2 were leading operating systems. i had a kicking little 486dx 66mhz with 8mb RAM & ran DOS5 & then 6

md had no long play option, was very cool & very expensive but had the option of prerecorded or recording inline from an audio source.

I still believe in MD, and my friends love to tinker and play with my MZ-N505.

I do plane to buy a MZ-RH10 and start to record things, but at this time I still just laugh at my friends with there puny 14 hour Ipods next to my 32 or so hour MD.

And as for HDD players, I still think about getting a sony NW-HD3 (I don't like the HD5s.) Yet,I need to look into to a little longer.

I don't believe MD is over.

Sony still have an opportunity to rescue the format as something for the semi-pro users.

A couple of AWESOME Hi-MD decks would just be amazing - especially coupled with the new SonicStage functionality.

My dual-tray Sony CD recorder deck would be on eBay in a flash!

And maybe a 2GB disc capacity.

Certainly this doesn't look great for Sony. Losing out in Japan.

With the iPod being so moron-proof, and SonicStage being a nightmare, maybe they should ditch their line of HD / flash players and concentrate on the semi-pro market with MD?

If I was to buy an HD-based player, it wouldn't be a Sony (but it wouldn't be an iPod either).

Come on Sony!

I remember a time when there were rumours about minidisc-based video camcorders. Way before any of the new digital video recording media were around.

Imagine a disc format where you use the same disc for your data, video, music and photos.

Pop it in the slot of your new PSP and there you go.

Minidisc could have been resurrected on the back of PSP success.

I can only assume that they seriously considered that before they went UMD.

So Sony lose their home market.

Shame, but maybe it'll teach them a lesson they won't forget.

This format already exists, called SD cards.

I think he meant it more as "imagine the CONCEPT!" - like get with the program, Sony.

And yeah, I must say I'm stoked about my new DH10P camera and the 1GIG removable discs for PHOTOS! Just now they're finally selling 1Gig SD cards for cams... Sony had this last year, and for 7 bucks per gig, not $100.

I think he meant it more as "imagine the CONCEPT!" - like get with the program, Sony.

Exactly. 1GB HiMD discs have been commercially available for far longer than any other removable formats. And look at that price per GB!!

Although I guess one reason why Sony may have decided not to persue the HiMD disc format in this way is the power requirements necessary to write to the discs - constantly in the case of video camcorders.

SD cards? Nope, I'll stick with Compact Flash thanks :lol:

I wonder if there's any news up the MD pipeline in the next few months?!

Exactly. 1GB HiMD discs have been commercially available for far longer than any other removable formats. And look at that price per GB!!

I just wonder how much more it costs sony to produce himd discs compared to normal minidiscs. Imagine if the 1GB discs cost the same as normal minidiscs, how big would the format be! Id be in PCM heaven lol

If there's a replacement to iPods, it's going to be MP3 cellphones. Here in China the Sony Walkman-Ericsson models are way popular, even though they're way too expensive. I don't think MP3 cellphones are quite there yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if in the next few years they eat into the casual market that the iPod dominates.

MD remains the best casual recording option, and this news, along with the useless update of Sonicstage, doesn't change the equation a bit.

...where in Canada will I find another user these days of minidisk?

You need to go to the radio and television stations. How about a little place called the CBC? I was listening to a local toronto AM station the other day and the host mentioned that their sound technician had just brought in tomorrows broadcast material...'on minidisc'. Minidisc is for sound and broadcasting professionals, iPod is a fashion accessory.

Not to worry the mini disc will always have better quality of its playback of any music in the world. That chip music the birds in my backyard know it sucks with the I-Puds. Everyone is in a rush to download and upload or to record. I would rather sit back and drink a coke or cocktail and wait to hear what will have been recorded on my Hi-MD or Net MD than to have billions of peewee mp3s or what have you on a I-pud. I only need as much music I can listen to at any given time than having all those muffled sounds from a I-pud chip! I just listen to a transfer of Sgt Peppers off a master glass master in mono and was blown away what I could hear on my MD player, NO WAY would the I-pudder pick up on chairs sqeeking at abbey road during this recording! MD will always rule in this way, every person who has a I-pud as admitted that the playback quality blows away a pudder chip player. So keep on beating the download times, it will not improve on the quality, just the meanless numbers of tracks! PERIOD END OF STORY!