The DH10P Review by The Blue Raja

Rate this topic

DHdemo1.jpg

Many have asked my opinions on my new DH10P. There are many other reviews out there, with detailed photo demos of the camera, etc. etc... but here's my personal take on the unit. Plus many have asked me how it compares to the MZ-RH10 since the prices now are pretty much the same, so I shall address that as well. Forgive any spelling mistakes, as I am in a hurry.

I'm sure I won't cover everything needed, so feel free to ask questions in this thread and I'll try to do my best to reply.. but keep in mind, these are MY opinions, and as you'll find in ANY review search (especially Amazon.com) 50% of the people say whatever they're reviewing is "the best thing in the world," and the other 50% say "it's junk don't buy it."

With that said, first I'll paste some things I wrote at the MDCF board where I compared the DH10P to the RH10 (with a few alterations since I've had more time w/ the DH10P:

To begin with, I just the robust feel (metal front & back), and strong "CHUNK" sound (Richyu's description) when you close the DH10P. I killed my RH10 by dropping it too many times, but I still feel like it is a fragile device (in my rough hands). I'm sure the camera portion of the DH10 would die sooner than the MD (based on the bad one I got in the mail first, and how it really is an MD player FIRST, then a camera (in my opinion). The RH10 really feels like plastic.. but a heavier, more refined plastic if that makes sense (not like an entry level model, plus the RH10 has metal all around the sides).

I think they both sound incredible... I think I still favor the sound of the RH10. So in quick bullet format: (keep in mind these are all MY opinions... different people look at things differently)

RH10 PROS:

- best screen (though no pics or color, can be SEEN at just about ANY angle - very crisp & beautiful)

- superior sound quality

- can record w/ a mic or line in

- can edit & move items, titles, etc. on disc

- gumstick battery (I like those)

RH10 CONS:

- though still sturdy, not as robust feeling as an NH900 or the DH10P to me

- no color images

- battery door is the worst on any unit I've seen... guard it with your life.

- plastics

DH10P PROS:

- having album pics is just so darn COOL! (see below my pics)

- superior sound quality

- Feels sturdy

- ergonomic curvature fits RIGHT hand nicely

- text SCROLL SPEED (the time it takes for LONGER titles to scroll by the window is like twice as fast as any MD player I've seen, which is REALLY nice considering I always thought them to be rather slow)... you'll see in my next post how the "Britney - Oops! I did it again" is even blurred from the speed (lol)

- camera... I don't have a cell phone cam, so having one on-the-go is pretty cool

- WOW factor - let's face it, showing the OLED of the RH10 to people isn't as amazing now with the video IPods out there, etc... but at least w/ photo displays this puts minidisc in the game, mixing old school with current trends.

DH10P CONS:

- ergonomic curvature not so great when you have it laying on a table, since it's not perfectly FLAT, it wobbles a tad, and the screen tilts ever so slightly away from you on an angle. (This is easily fixed if placed on like the cloth Sony pouch - as far as any wobbling goes)

- can't record

- can't EDIT things on the disc (unless I've overlooked how to do it)

- I don't like the LION batteries... they don't make chargers for them

BOTH units have some pros & cons in the CONTROLS... so I won't bother. I think it may boil down to what do you need more: camera option or recording option. If you already own an MD that records, then maybe get the DH10P. If you already have a cell phone cam and don't need anything else...

SINCE I wrote the above, I've become even more attached to my DH10P. I remember when I first got used to the RH10's progress bar, there was no going back... now I feel the same way about seeing the album artwork. For instance, I have a lot of techno 12" vinyl records, and to SEE a pic of the record label in the window is a nice reminder how I OWN the actual item, and not some virtual, floating file in cyberland... if that makes any sense.

Let's get on with some PICS!

DHdemo.jpg

DHdemoo.jpg

DHdemoshutter.jpg

DHdemo2.jpg

DHdemo3.jpg

The photos below of the screen are not ACCURATE... my camera is not showing the full COLOR nor contrast of the display screen... see my NEXT post, as I take some pics of the display screen more carefully and in the dark, which helped the image exposure.

DHdemo4.jpg

DHdemo5.jpg

The ergonomic curvature fits the hand VERY NICELY for both scanning the menus, and when using the device as a camera:

DHdemo6.jpg

Versus the RH10:

DHdemo7.jpg

DHdemo8.jpg

I thought I would show how it fits in the hand, compared to the NH900... the NH900 is easier to quickly GRAB (without worrying about getting a finger print on the screen and the boxy-nature of it) but generally they don't seem so be that different in size:

DHdemo9.jpg

DHdemo91.jpg

DHdemo92.jpg

Next to the bulky DH710... which almost makes the DH10P look like a rather sleek device:

DHdemo93.jpg

Like the RH10, the DH10P sports the nice Walkman logo after inserting a disc.

DHdemoheader.jpg

Here are some great SCREEN shots; where the DH10P really shines

There are like 6 dislpay modes (I'm only showing 3 of them, one of them is just ALL text, showing folder name sampling rate, blah-blah-blah)... one mode is to see ALL albums at once (on full HiMD disc at 132kbps it takes 1 full screen and just like 3-4 albums left over so you toggle down one screen to see the rest). Another mode is to see a LIST (like the RH10) of the abums, only rather than a folder to the left, you get the actual ALBUM... then if you CLICK on an album in this mode, you'll even see the album above, w/ tracks listed BELOW... Another mode (almost standard) is to see the track, thin progress bar (I wish it were a bit fatter, like the RH10), duration and small album art icon. Plus there's one mode where you see the album cover FULL, but to be honest, it's kind of a low resolution image, seen ok at a distance, but not looking close up...

IMPORTANT NOTE: For anyone concerned about their current MD library not having photos assigned to the albums, I will be posting a DEMONSTRATION on how to rather easily add pics to the albums using Sonic Stage and the Internet. In fact, the DH10P camera even has a mode where you can take photos and ASSIGN them to the albums as their art.

dis0.jpg

dis01.jpg

dis02.jpg

dis03.jpg

dis04.jpg

dis05.jpg

dis06.jpg

thank you man. Nice review and awesome pictures, indeed best pictures of the screen i've had seen in a review of the dh10p. I'll try to post some pictures of the unit when I get mine (hope to get as good results as you). Thanks for all your time and opinions that help me decide between this unit or the rh10. Cheers!

thank you man. Nice review and awesome pictures, indeed best pictures of the screen i've had seen in a review of the dh10p. I'll try to post some pictures of the unit when I get mine (hope to get as good results as you). Thanks for all your time and opinions that help me decide between this unit or the rh10. Cheers!

unfortunately the link din't work for me cause i've been banned from the T-Board; so i guess i'm out of luck.

by: (;;!!)

Edited by rayzray

theblueraja: Awesome pictorial. It's too bad that Rayz can't access it. If you do re-post and it's not too much trouble, could you please include a pic of the unit with the camera lens? (I'm sure it's on the back of the unit, but I think the camera part was closed in your pic of the backside.) Thanks!

theblueraja: Awesome pictorial. It's too bad that Rayz can't access it. If you do re-post and it's not too much trouble, could you please include a pic of the unit with the camera lens? (I'm sure it's on the back of the unit, but I think the camera part was closed in your pic of the backside.) Thanks!

POSTED. (in the start of this thread among all the other pics).

• 3 weeks later...

Great pics, Theblueraja. You are building up quite a collection of MD units.

Love the idea of seeing the album artwork on screen. As you say it re-affirms that you own the actual item or once did or copied it from someone and then downloaded the picture. And it is nice seeing the tiny little pictures in SonicStage too.

With all the model variations that Sony have, it is a mystery why they didn't do a DH10P model without the camera. It is one of the best looking Hi-MDs around.

Now have to hope Sony to dumps 2ndGen Hi-MDs in Australia.

I still think the black DH710 has a certain chunky elegance about it (as long as it is not sitting next to a DH10P).

... I thought Sony has discontinued MD in Australia completely.

Well yes unfortunately that seems to be the case (I think it is pay back over whaling).

The 2nd Gen Hi-MDs were never released here.

But late last year Sony dumped thousands of 1st Gen Hi-MDs here via Minidisc Australia and other retailers so there is still the remote hope that the same may happen with the 2G Hi-MDs.

Perhaps when the MZ-RH1 is released to the rest of the world.

Are both your DH10Ps the same colour or were you lucky enough to nab a red or black one too?

Well yes unfortunately that seems to be the case (I think it is pay back over whaling).

The 2nd Gen Hi-MDs were never released here.

But late last year Sony dumped thousands of 1st Gen Hi-MDs here via Minidisc Australia and other retailers so there is still the remote hope that the same may happen with the 2G Hi-MDs.

Perhaps when the MZ-RH1 is released to the rest of the world.

Are both your DH10Ps the same colour or were you lucky enough to nab a red or black one too?

The black cost twice as much, so no, and the red has got to be completely extinct, or maybe was a concept that was never released?? Either way, I wouldn't care for red. I own 2 silver.

Two silver ...... nice bookends.

I think richyhu mentioned the Red as a limited Japan SonyStyle only edition. The black looks good but not for twice the price. If only there was a Blue one.

Did they come with an LCD or non-LCD remote ?

post-10105-1143087439_thumb.jpg

post-10105-1143087499_thumb.jpg

Edited by bogon07

Two silver ...... nice bookends.

I think richyhu mentioned the Red as a limited Japan SonyStyle only edition. The black looks good but not for twice the price. If only there was a Blue one.

Did they come with an LCD or non-LCD remote ?

Mine came with non-LCDs... I think the LCD remote is too ashamed next to the DH10P's color display :P

Bogon07,

Who needs a LCD remote for DH10P as main charm of the player is colour screen .

I also purchased it just b`coz of Colour screen & LCD remote like RM-MC35ELK can be purchased via ebay ..

TBR & I got the player for Just $228(shipping & extra charges not included) .

Edited by stuge

Mine came with non-LCDs... I think the LCD remote is too ashamed next to the DH10P's color display :P

That is probably the same thinking Sony used to.

But a colour display remote wouldn't be a crazy as some of Sony's ideas although it would probably drain the battery too fast.

Stuge,

I was interested to see what accessories Sony was unbundling with the top unit. You can't have too many remotes. Buying remotes separately in Australia is very expensive.

Remember there is no law that says you have to use them with the player they came with (except the MC39LT for NHF800). I carry my MD players in my backpack when going to work so an LCD remote is very useful.

However i'm lately using the A1000 in the pocket with or without a MC35ELK; just noticed that my NH900 came with an MC38EL will have to test that on the A1000!

$228 US seems an excellent price for the DH10P. Can you say where from ?

I've been eyeing Minidisc Canada.

Edited by bogon07

I'm pretty sure they do as they have an international checkout option.

I`m not sure but i didn`t buy directly after seeing TBR camera was faulty & Also to save customs duty ..also they don`t ship things to India (too bad)

Yes you are right Etronic ships to Australia

Bogon it will cost you $437.27(Aus)

1.) US Shipping & Handling 12.60

2.)International Shipping & Handling 73.30

3.) Customs, Duties, Taxes, and Insurance 33.00

4.)MZ-DH10P-318.38

total $437.27

Many times people escape customs duty

Edited by stuge

I`m not sure but i didn`t buy directly after seeing TBR camera was faulty & Also to save customs duty ..

I just checked their site and they do ship to Australia - according to their calcs it would cost AUD 437.27 / USD 313.14 including shipping and customs. I think over all their prices are pretty good, but obviously TBR's faulty DH10P from Audiocubes was unfortunate.

I just checked their site and they do ship to Australia - according to their calcs it would cost AUD 437.27 / USD 313.14 including shipping and customs. I think over all their prices are pretty good, but obviously TBR's faulty DH10P from Audiocubes was unfortunate.

Might be unfortunate for TBR but b`coz of that TBR post a new Topic in T-Board & afte that r i got to know that Etronics is selling DH10P for $228 ..After that incident Now i will also join the MD member club ^_^ (I will get my DH10p in April)..Everything happens, happens for good reason :D

Also TBR got the full refund from Audiocubes...so that`s good ..

Edited by stuge

Hey all of you stop talking about me. :lol:

(just kiddin)

TBR about time you updated the list of MDs that you own ;)

How many are in your collection now ? I think you've a ways to go before you catch Ishiyoshi.

Thanks everyone. The Etronics price appears to be around $50AUD better than importing via Minidisc Canada.

I see what you mean about the black DH10P from Audiocubes $670AUD + shipping !!!! Even if it is a WorldTouristModel with LED remote.

Edited by bogon07

Well thanks to theblueraja (and richyhu and stuge) I'm now waiting for the DH10P to be delivered from etronics.

One thing to remember when ordering in foreign currency is that your exchange may vary between ordering and the charge hitting the credit card. In my case a bit of a worry when it was forecast that the Australian $ may drop to 68cents US.

$313.14 US --> $442.44AUD (+ $6.64AUD international transaction fee) making a total $449.08 for the DH10P.

Paypal gave the option to convert US$ to AUD$ before charging my my credit card for about $452AUD so they must have a slightly higher transaction fee.

Well thanks to theblueraja (and richyhu and stuge) I'm now waiting for the DH10P to be delivered from etronics.

One thing to remember when ordering in foreign currency is that your exchange may vary between ordering and the charge hitting the credit card. In my case a bit of a worry when it was forecast that the Australian $ may drop to 68cents US.

$313.14 US --> $442.44AUD (+ $6.64AUD international transaction fee) making a total $449.08 for the DH10P.

Paypal gave the option to convert US$ to AUD$ before charging my my credit card for about $452AUD so they must have a slightly higher transaction fee.

Tell us when you will get your DH10P.. ^_^^_^

• 2 weeks later...

The DH10P was delivered yesterday.

I was so seduced by TBR's pictures that I forgot to check its power requirements eg the whimpy American AC adapter or that it uses a weirdo battery and doesn't recharge via USB.

I've now ordered an Australian version of the adapter, hope it works. Seems the RH1 uses the same battery and charges via USB so now there is another reason to get one of those too.

That colour screen is gorgeous though.

Edited by bogon07

The DH10P was delivered yesterday.

I was so seduced by TBR's pictures that I forgot to check its power requirements eg the whimpy American AC adapter or that it uses a weirdo battery and doesn't recharge via USB.

I've now ordered an Australian version of the adapter, hope it works. Seems the RH1 uses the same battery and charges via USB so now there is another reason to get one of those too.

That colour screen is gorgeous though.

Congrats on the purchase, yes I think the US version of the adaptor only has 110V input whereas other versions of the DH10P like Japan and possibly europe come with 100-240V adaptors (so you would only need a plug adaptor at most). The DH10P requires 6V for charging like most of the other Li-Ion Hi-MD units.

Indeed the same battery is used on the RH1 with USB charging.

Congrats on the purchase, yes I think the US version of the adaptor only has 110V input whereas other versions of the DH10P like Japan and possibly europe come with 100-240V adaptors (so you would only need a plug adaptor at most).

Yes and the confusing thing is that the AC-ES608K3 charger has the same name in all countries so I had to check the service manuals here on the forum for the part numbers. There are five listed for the DH10P (JE, US, AEP, UK, CH) and six (the extra one is Australian) for the NW-HD5 harddisc player.

No :huh:, ..Will get DH10P by 16 or 18 of this month ..I`m no hurry at all ..hehe.I have lots of patience ^_^ .

Nismo is arriving here(India )by 13th (Night)

That's not long Stuge. You could start building up your collection of songs to transfer to MD and adding the album art ready for your new addition. Hopefully my charger will arrive by the time you get your unit.

I wonder when theblueraja will add another picture of both his DH10Ps together ? B)