should I move to Hi-MD?

Rate this topic

NorthStar

I currently own a Sony MZ-N510 model Md recorder, and even though it's an entry level unit (and has no mic jack.. ugh), I like it a lot. I've had no problems with it so far, and I've owned it for almost 2 years now.

However, I recently saw one Sony MZ-NH1 going for 199 at a music shop near where I work. Considering that this player is usually sold higher than that, I figured it was a bargan. However, two things are making me hesitate; the much lower battery life, and the fact that it's Hi-Md.

Now, don't get me wrong; I have nothing against the Hi-Md format. It's just that if I do get it, it's just going to be playing music instead of recording it, since my wife also owns a MZ-N510, and I usually make the disks she plays. Plus I'm planing to get an MD deck (the Sony MDS-JE480 model is pretty much what I'm looking at), and considering that there are no hi md decks been sold in the US, I'm pretty much stuck using the MDLP format. If I knew how to import a Hi md deck (at decent price, to boot), then I might not be so hesitant, but since I don't know how, I'm not sure about this. I don't want to just have the portable players the only source of playing my minidiscs. Should I still move to Hi-Md anyway, and get that player, or stick with my N510? And if there is a way to get a hi-md deck, how could I do it?

Yeah, bunch of questions. I would appreciate the help though. :)

That's so cute. Matching N510s. :D

One option is Audiocubes. But, DOH, the prices!

http://www.audiocubes.com/index.php?cPath=...1a&filter_id=42. Be the first to review the MD-133 and you get a $5 (haha) discount from them.

For the NH1, that's a good price; plus the low 6% Indiana sales tax doesn't hurt, eh? So you could get that NH1 in the hopes that wallet-friendly Hi-MD decks will be more available in the US. But then again, by that time, maybe the 3rd generation Hi-MD portables will be out (wishful thinking). Good luck!

Get it, Battry life is a non-issue dreampt up by people who don't have one. If ten to fifteen hours of payback, or a ggod night's recording aren't enough, you can get another battery. I have two working NH1's and one paperweight, and if I could I'd get another.

Good luck,

Bob

Yeah, I have to admit, you guys have good points. And thanks a lot for that import link. Yes, the prices are pretty high, but I can save up the coinage for it. :-P

I'm probably going to go ahead and get that NH1, but I recently saw a MZ-RH10 going for $235, and I'm tempted to get that one instead. true, I've heard the button layout on that unit could have been better, but then again, that's what the remote is for. :-P

So anyway, yeah, I'll make the move. Question now is, what model?

If you just want playback, you could get a MZ-NH600D for under $100 on Ebay. Just a downloader via USB, no mic or line-in jack. You can also find NH700 for $125 shipped, new, on Ebay. Look at www.jr.com for good mailorder prices on the RH models.

Edited by A440

Ok, I think I've made up my mind.

I decided to check out places online selling the models I was interested in. The prices shocked me:

RH10: $235

RH910: $170

NH1: $542

Yes, you saw the price for the NH1 right: $542.13 to be exact. And the store I looked near my job is giving it away at $200 cause they can't find anyone to buy it.

I'm nabbing that thing as quick as I can. I get paid next week: it will be mine then.

I do plan on grabbing that Rh910 however. At $170, it's also a steal, especially since the only thing the RH10 has over it is it's special panel screen.

But yeah, that NH1 is getting nabbed. I only hope no one suddenly pops up out of nowhere and takes it before I do. Wish me luck.

Wow, that looks like the Audiocubes or JDirect price for the NH1 - their prices are really high for some units. There were quite a few people who got the NH1 for around $250-300 new. I got mine new for $200, but that was luck. If you do a search on this forum, there is a thread that Sony may be coming out with new MD units. So if you're not really into the RH910/10, you could hold off and see what new stuff Sony will be offering. But I'd definitely get the NH1. It's a popular and well-loved one. Hope you get it!

Well, I'm definintely going to get it, but something just recently came to my attention when I went back to the store to tell the guy to hold it. He's got TWO of them. They haven't moved at all (obviously), so he's willing to sell both of them to me for $200 each. That's two NH1's for $200, when other places are selling them for much more than that, if you can find them. I'm grabbing both by this Monday just on generally priciple.

If later on I want to get the RH910 (again, for all that it offers, $170 is a steal), I might auction off one of the NH1's on Ebay, not just to make some extra scratch, but also to see just how much people would pay for it. Then again, consdidering how nice these things look, I might not... we'll see.

Matt J: I'm not getting rid of my NH1, but I am interested in getting an RH10 in addition to it. What's making you change your mind about the RH10?

Hi jaylen, dont get me wrong its a great unit. But I couldnt justify having two himd's at the moment. For me size and the ability to record in true SP for my old units are the most important aspects, so the NH1 wins. I will miss the RH10's screen and the easy navigation on the player itself :( I've been unemployed for the last few months, hence why I have been on these forums so much! But I start a new job at the end of this month so once I get a bit of money behind me I might be tempted by the 3rd gen HIMD player!

Edited by Matt J

Ah, I see. I'm not a big fan of plastic units, but I was thinking of buying the RH10 as a classmate offered it to me brand new and sealed at a really good price ($175). I guess at this point, to me, having the RH10 would be nice, but the RH1 is what I want. I'll have to fight off the MD bug until that RH1 is released (or if I can find someone willing to part with their EH930). :)

Good luck with your new job!

Actually, I think the RH910 is a better value, overall, than the Rh10. I could be wrong, and if I am, please correct me, but considering that all the Rh10 has over the 910 is a better pannel display and an aluminum lid, yet costs around $235 at the least, while the Rh910 goes for $170... it just seems like a no brainer to me. The RH910 has all the main features of it's higher priced "cousin", and you save some cash getting it instead. In fact, the only reason why I recently picked up the NH1 as you guys suggested is because I realize now how much of a collectors item it is. Sure, it looks freakin' sweet, and I personally love mine, but the fact is, the RH910 has a lot going for it that trumps the NH1... consider: more common and cheaper battery that has gives longer play time, not dependend upon the remote for all of it's functions, isn't dependant on the special stand for charging purposes, has a standard AC power port, which means you can also power it with a car lighter power source for listening to while driving, and the fact that it can also use AA batteries. Until the RH10 lowers it's price, the Rh910, while just one (small) step down, would be what I would recomend for those interested in getting a HiMD unit.

However, this is not to say that the NH1 isn't worth the $200 that I spent on it. I love the way it looks (obviously), I like the fact that it's made of metal (durability is always good), and the remote is well designed. While I wish the charging stand didn't render the unit incompatible to more common power sources, it still was a good idea, since it provides a nice stable platform while recording, and it does help to add to the elegant look of the NH1. I can imagine placing this on a coffee table, and hooking this thing up to a really good speaker system. Then use it to play some tunage when friends are over... I'm sure they'd be impressed with such a small cool looking thing pumping out such quality sound.

So yeah, in case you guys are wondering, I'm glad I took your advice and got that NH1. I'm getting another one soon for my wife, who also likes it a lot. I'm probably going to get an Rh910 however... I would like something that can play in the car without wasting battery life, like my old N510. I might also buy a few more NH1's and auction them on Ebay... I know where to get 'em cheap now, and I know people are willing to pay a lot for em... :-P

For your purposes, which I assumed was making discs and playback only, then yup, I agree the RH910 is a better value for you. But for the person who records a lot of live stuff, the price difference for that OLED dipslay may be well worth it, especially during occasions where decent lighting conditions aren't guaranteed. Glad you like your new NH1!

I also forgot to add something in my previous post that MattJ had brought up concerning NH1 vs RH10/910.

the ability to record in true SP for my old units are the most important aspects, so the NH1 wins

From my understanding (someone can please correct me), SP playback only is available on the RH10/910, while the NH1 is capable of true SP recording/playback.

I also forgot to add something in my previous post that MattJ had brought up concerning NH1 vs RH10/910.

From my understanding (someone can please correct me), SP playback only is available on the RH10/910, while the NH1 is capable of true SP recording/playback.

Yup thats true, you can record LP2 and LP4 via sonicstage but not directly onto the unit (You can record SP via sonicstage but it is just LP2 quality)