New Hi MD Model?

Rate this topic

grf

Hi This may be old news to this forum but a search on MZ-RH1 does not return anything.

I have just picked up a new MZ-NH1 from Argos in the UK at 99 GBpounds and its great.

Called in at the Sony shop on the ways out of the Mall and they showed me a preview of an MZ-RH1 which was due in the shops in May. It looked like a MZ-NH1 replacement, single line display etc, very similar physically to NH1 only the current dark aluminium colour.

Could not stop to get further details but anyone else heard of this one ??

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now without wanting to run away too fast --wouldn't it be great if this device also had some sort of built in HD or solid state memory as well which could be used in-situ for transferring TO or from MD IN THE DEVICE -- that really would be the best of BOTH worlds -- you have your old MD's and a nice 20GB HD player concurrently ---(Probably as much chance of that happening as being bitten by Hens Teeth).

Anyway great to have a new device on the horizon -.

Cheers

-K

Wow, first I've heard of this. A google search turns up 0 results and 0 pics of this unit. Can anyone get some kind of pic or info page, even in Japanese? I hope there are other units to make up a whole 3rd gen.

There aren't any pictures on the Japanese forums...just speculation like here. Perhaps you may want to see what information the "premium members club" can provide.

Is it necessary to buy information on this forum now? :(

Called in at the Sony shop on the ways out of the Mall and they showed me a preview of an MZ-RH1 which was due in the shops in May. It looked like a MZ-NH1 replacement, single line display etc, very similar physically to NH1 only the current dark aluminium colour.

What does "the showed me" mean? A photo? You held it? A video demo??

Could not stop to get further details but anyone else heard of this one ??

GRF, do you think is it possible to take a picture of the preview or something like that? BTW what do you mean with "preview"? a video played in a computer?

I understood thats not possible with the current HiMD technology. It can't write to the disk fast enough

yes you're right. Indeed, I think that HiMD units don't "use" all the speed you can get with USB 1.1 because of the slow writing to the disc operation.

Edited by sebastianbf

Not to be redundent. This is the best news for some time. I had recently purchased a HD-5 DAP; knowing that this was going to be a last of its kind. I'm not really satisfied with this purchase because it is not MD. I went to purchase some more MD's last Sat. and was looking for another MD unit to buy. Thinking that MD was doomed too. I'm glad to hear that another gen of Hi-MD is going to be released. I feel like we all got a stay of execution. What can I say I love MD 11 yrs and growing.

I'd like to see an NH1 with an OLED display, even if it's only one line. Having said that, if this new display shows the same information as the NH1 display it would be very strange. The lack of info on the unit itself was one of the biggest criticisms of the NH1, it made it so remote dependant.

If it is essentially the same display then it'll need a good remote. Return of the 40ELK, or maybe a new 3-line remote???

So who's already decided to buy it If It does appear? My moneys on theblueraja buying It :)

:lol::lol::lol:

I can understand why, but with recently buying TWO new NH900s, TWO new DH10Ps... I think I need to cool it for a while... besides, as Sony probably won't be releasing many models this time around, it will be available for at least a year.

(of course I SAY this, but when I see a pic...)

However, if it has a JOYSTIC controller like the NH1, or REQUIRES a remote to see much LCD action count me out.

Edited by theblueraja

Does anyone know it It uses AA battries or the LIP-4WM like the NH1?

And how about battrey life?

Or has this info not been released yet?

Edit:

And another thing... Do you think Sony will release a Video player Hi-MD devise?

That would be usefull Mainly with cheep removeable media at 1gig and all!

:)

Edited by danielbb90

This is definitely interesting news. I have an NH1 but have been toying with buying an RH10 for some of the NH1's shortcomings (display, the proprietary cable, no external battery, etc). I knew a 3rd generation, if it was coming, would have to be announced soon, and was waiting to see what it brought... but I am a bit torn if the 3rd generation is 1 model that's just a tweaked NH1. (RH1 seems to imply 'less than RH10' to me??)

I would assume things like the new bitrates, lossless support, etc, would be added. But I really would like if some of the NH1's shortcomings would be addressed while still making a really top of the line unit. ("Live recording enhancements" is interesting-- could this be the end of the stupid automatic-track-marks-on-silence?)

Hopefully there will be a whole new line, but I do hope the top of the line takes the best aspects of the NH1 + RH10 and makes a killer 3rd gen unit.

Edited by Justin42

I love my NH1 except for the fact that I have to reset the levels for each recording every time. Can't it just stay at Line In, Manual Gain Level 30? I hate (ok, dislike) fumbling with those tiny buttons in stealth situations. Too stressful.

And it doesn't look like we'll be seeing a live recording friendly Sharp anytime soon so BRING IT ON!!!

You hold out much longer, Chris, and I just might have to becoming a paying member.

The only thing that's stopping me is, how do I even known you're sharing it with the Premium Member's Club?

premium members are informed about new developments far earlier. there is no requirment to buy access to this site but a contribution to the running costs does get you some small thanks from us.

Dang. How did you find out about that? Anyone know do they have many in stock? Anyone feeling like posting me one? :)

Have a look here: http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=14538 for further discussion

I think all the machines are out in the various stores, but if you go to Argos' web site you can search to see if there are any left in your area.

I got a e-mail from sonycanada...

Either they got it wrong or we did!

The Sony MZ-RH1 Hi-MD Player was released in the year 2005. We suggest that you contact SonyStyle for more information about this product. Please click on the link given below for information to contact SonyStyle.

This dousn't make any sence!

There isn't a RH1 out!

I got a e-mail from sonycanada...

Either they got it wrong or we did!

This dousn't make any sence!

There isn't a RH1 out!

I'm quite sure you got some individual who either:

a. Doesn't know what he's talking about.

b. Has confused the RH1 with the RH10.

c. Both of the above.

Edited by culp4684

There will be. :ok:

Do you have evedence on this?

I can't find anything...

Even Sony Canada don't unless... its a Japan only unit...

iPod has taken over Japan so it woulden't supprise me if sony want to keep the market!

Edit:

I got a reply! after I e-mailed them back!

We apologise for the confusion. It seems that the prior response provided by us refers to the MZ-RH10. Unfortunately, we have no prior knowledge of new products until they are released by marketing. Sometimes information is published in magazine articles, promotions, press releases, etc. prior to being available at our Sony authorised dealers. However, we receive information on products at the time they are released to the marketplace by our Marketing Department.

We would suggest that you visit our website regularly. Also, you may want to read our News Releases that introduce our products prior to release, at the following address:

http://www.sony.ca/sonyca/about_pressreleases.shtml

That answers alot! :)

Edited by danielbb90