New Hi MD Model?

Rate this topic

grf

I trust the people on this site infintely more than what an outsourced Sony sales-droid responds in an email. (no offense to those the sales-droid emailed)

Kinda sad, huh, that unofficial sources on stuff like this are usually 100% more reliable than the company itself. (even AFTER it's officially announced/released!!)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I trust the people on this site infintely more than what an outsourced Sony sales-droid responds in an email. (no offense to those the sales-droid emailed)

Kinda sad, huh, that unofficial sources on stuff like this are usually 100% more reliable than the company itself. (even AFTER it's officially announced/released!!)

Yeh! The E-mail I got back backs that up!

Hi,

As the one who started this thread I am really amazed at the response, if I had known I would have taken more in about the new unit. I had just bought an NH1 though...

The new unit MZ-RH1 was in the 'preview catalogue' in the Sony Store in Bishops Stortford England. There was a small picture and a 8 bullet point description. I cannot remember anything spectacular in this description but 'single line display' did stand out, as did 'upload music to PC' but the rest was standard MD stuff. The picture did not look like a mock up and it did look like the NH1 but in dark material. The buttons and layout looked very NH1-ish. The release date was May 2006 and there was no price.

If it is in the (paper) preview catalogue then I am really surprised that more information is not available.

By the way Argos has sold out of the NH1 in Essex/Herts at least in the UK and I suspect there will be non in UK stores very soon at 99 GBP.

Best regards everyone,

Graham

Hi,

As the one who started this thread I am really amazed at the response, if I had known I would have taken more in about the new unit. I had just bought an NH1 though...

Are you KIDDING?? You're FAMOUS now!! What did you have to breakfast that day? Do tell! :D

Ok, but can you recall if it had the JOYSTICK-like switch like the NH1?

Hi,

The picture I saw looked very like a dark anodised aluminium Nh1. The side panel could well have had a joystick like the NH1. However the picture was little larger than a postage stamp (remember those?) and the Sony shop knew little more about the item than beig able to find it in the preview catalogue.

I am sure it will be announced with due fanfare in May.

Best regards

Graham

Honestly, the only way I think 3rd gen HI-MD will truly succeed in the current market is if it is a combination HI-MD/cell phone unit with satellite radio, internal memory, at least a 3meg camera and 4 gig discs. Let's not forget it must be indestructable, work with a Mac and have a battery life of 100 hrs., give or take.

That should make it a contender. :D

Honestly, the only way I think 3rd gen HI-MD will truly succeed in the current market is if it is a combination HI-MD/cell phone unit with satellite radio, internal memory, at least a 3meg camera and 4 gig discs. Let's not forget it must be indestructable, work with a Mac and have a battery life of 100 hrs., give or take.

That should make it a contender. :D

How about flash card backup, bluetooth compatible, and a 27 inch screen foldable to put it in your pocket????

Let's be realistic and hope for slightly better ergonomics, an ability to upload net-MD trough the HI-MD unit, and decent advertising to let the world know what we have.

Bob

How about flash card backup, bluetooth compatible, and a 27 inch screen foldable to put it in your pocket????

Let's be realistic and hope for slightly better ergonomics, an ability to upload net-MD trough the HI-MD unit, and decent advertising to let the world know what we have.

Bob

But the most important feature of all must be that it looks like a previous model so that my girlfriend doesn't notice that I've spent more of our hard-earned money on yet another MD machine.

This is definitely interesting news. I have an NH1 but have been toying with buying an RH10 for some of the NH1's shortcomings (display, the proprietary cable, no external battery, etc). I knew a 3rd generation, if it was coming, would have to be announced soon, and was waiting to see what it brought... but I am a bit torn if the 3rd generation is 1 model that's just a tweaked NH1. (RH1 seems to imply 'less than RH10' to me??)

I would assume things like the new bitrates, lossless support, etc, would be added. But I really would like if some of the NH1's shortcomings would be addressed while still making a really top of the line unit. ("Live recording enhancements" is interesting-- could this be the end of the stupid automatic-track-marks-on-silence?)

Hopefully there will be a whole new line, but I do hope the top of the line takes the best aspects of the NH1 + RH10 and makes a killer 3rd gen unit.

Since I have NH1 I had skipped RH10, but because of the rumors of ending MD, I had been looking to buy a RH10 for the few days. I wouldnt mind if the new unit did not have a large display. I just want to hear that MD IS NOT DEAD. AND A DECK!!! HEAR ME SONY. A himd deck with usb and if possible a wifi connection.

But the most important feature of all must be that it looks like a previous model so that my girlfriend doesn't notice that I've spent more of our hard-earned money on yet another MD machine.

Ha! :P Thankfully my girlfriend doesn't give me a hard time about this (I now have three Hi-MD decks, one of which she bought for me), but even if she did, I'll choose to spend my money however I want. I buy plenty her plenty of stuff so there's nothing to worry about. :rolleyes:

Off topic, I know...but just had mention it.

Bob

I think that if they're gonna make netmd upload possible, changes have to be made in SS and not in the portables.

Finally, the news I've been waiting for!

Plans to acquire any current units are shelved.....again!

:ok:

Sony, if you read this, two things:

1. A deck

2. Just label the units "USB2.0" to keep people happy. Jeeze, who can actually tell the differnece between 1.1 & 2.0 anyway? :huh:

What happened to the days of good ol' real-time? Don't know your born half you lot...

^_^

Edited by MDGB2

Since I have NH1 I had skipped RH10, but because of the rumors of ending MD, I had been looking to buy a RH10 for the few days. I wouldnt mind if the new unit did not have a large display. I just want to hear that MD IS NOT DEAD. AND A DECK!!! HEAR ME SONY. A himd deck with usb and if possible a wifi connection.

Yes but since Himd Onkyo decks exist, Himd car unit is what I need (Sony hear too...).

Think to RH-1O with the size of NH-1 and recordable radio...mmm

Edited by garcou

Finally, the news I've been waiting for!

Plans to acquire any current units are shelved.....again!

:ok:

Sony, if you read this, two things:

1. A deck

2. Just label the units "USB2.0" to keep people happy. Jeeze, who can actually tell the differnece between 1.1 & 2.0 anyway? :huh:

What happened to the days of good ol' real-time? Don't know your born half you lot...

^_^

USB 2.0 is upto 40X faster!

Yes I can tell the difference between that and 1.1!

USB 2.0 is upto 40X faster!

Yes I can tell the difference between that and 1.1!

The point being made is that while the transfer speed is faster, the write speed of HiMD is less than USB 1.1. In other words, it doesn't matter what type of USB is used, so just mark it USB 2.0 compatible and be done with it. HiMD, in its current iteration will never use any of the speed USB 2.0 can offer.

Yes but since Himd Onkyo decks exist, Himd car unit is what I need (Sony hear too...).

Think to RH-1O with the size of NH-1 and recordable radio...mmm

Onkyo decks are first gen. and they dont have a USB port, so you have to use your portable to tranfser music from your PC.

I dont care for a car HiMD unit, since I dont drive and I dont even have a permit. Just use a casette adapter.

The deck from SONY is a must IMO.

Would it be possible for any of the members of this forum to just post a pic of the aforementioned new version (or 3rd Gen MD that BTW people woring for Sony don't call it like that, they were surprised when I asked for the new generation Hi-Md)

Dutch electronics store Correct has the RH1 in their online catalogue.

www.correct.com

Unfortunately no pictures or info, apart from stating it has an OEL display.

Edit: Just received an answer to my email from them. They are expecting to get it in July.

Ik ken dat winkel heel goed. OEL display --Uitsteekend.

Prettige weekend.

(I go to Holland a lot on P&O Ferries Hull===> Europoort Pride of Rotterdam / Pride of Hull. Great Country --always fun in spite of weather --like the UK and traffic jams).

Cheers

-K

Hi Folks,

Copied by my loverly wife from the Chelmsford confidential (until April 1st) preview catalogue.....

MZ-RH1 has.........

Linear PCM

Visible 1 Line display (electro luminessent from the pic)

Mac Compatible

Record via USB2 or Mic

Remote control

Headphones

Rechargable Batt

Sonic Stage 3.4

Simple Burner 2

Joystick Control from side panel

Image that there is a NH1 in its cradle, i.e. upright. The RH1 looked very similar in thickness and style, no bumps. The 'front' panel was smooth no display or buttons in the middle.

Where the darker panel is on the NH1 the is a flatter panel with the Joystick play/enter button at the bottom. The rest on the panel is the bright (blue) display. There are a number of play/vol/stop buttons on the front edge between the front panel and the panel side. It all looked very neat and economical. It is clearly a replacement for the NH1.

Best regards

Graham

On one hand I'm happy that they are still bothering to make a new Hi-MD model but on the other hand from those specs there is nothing exciting to make me want to buy It at the moment.

I totally agree. I think their greatest ending was the DH10P. Truly the best thing around (that doesn't record, that is).

This post suggest that it is going to be "MAC COMPATIBLE " that means SonicStage ver3.4 by that time will be compatible with MAC How ?????? :wacko::wacko::huh::huh:

I don't think so, they have already two units (M100 and M10) that can upload PCM on the Mac, and i believe it to be similar. So far it looks a lot like a cross between M100 and NH1.

Edited by Roamer

I totally agree. I think their greatest ending was the DH10P. Truly the best thing around (that doesn't record, that is).

If the DH10p only had inputs. I could live without line/optical in, but it SHOULD have had a mic input. Think about it. It would be the perfect little gadget to take on a vacation. You could:

1. listen to tunes

2. take pics of whereever you were visiting

3. you could take voice recordings during your trip.

IF it could do this...and output the slideshow to a TV, with music background and/or voiceovers it would have been stupendous.

Sounds like they have taken the best features of the NH1 (its size, build quality etc) and the best feature of the RH10 (EL organic display) and combined them. Well it sure gets my vote!

I would pick up a couple. I HOPE Sony chooses to provide a direct USB connection to the base, like with the DH10p. If it can charge and transfer (standard on 99 percent of mp3 players now - and the DH10p. Do any other Hi-MD allow this?) Sony would have a couple of definate sales.

Sounds like they have taken the best features of the NH1 (its size, build quality etc) and the best feature of the RH10 (EL organic display) and combined them. Well it sure gets my vote!

but I just would wish that they keeped rh-10 ergonomy: open on the side- mp3 hdd like disposition, big oled screen, buttons and joy stick on the front...

The "hint" was already dropped in this same thread here:

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?s=&sh...indpost&p=89770

Paul

Not that it really matters, but Bhangraman's hint was first (Feb 28 vs Mar 6), and I think Damage was trying to show people here the earlier cryptic heads-up that was given on another forum.

Indeego: Wow. If that is the real thing, where did you get that pic? The side display reminds me a lot of my oldschool E40 player. Looks like Bhangraman's cryptic hint is slowly unfolding.