Sturdier cases for the discs?

Rate this topic

greenshank

I can't find an appropriate-looking forum for this...

So, bundled with my NH900 I got two 5-packs of the standard 80 minute discs. These came with flimsy translucent flexible plastic slip-cases that merely cover most of the disc (and that not very inspiringly). I would like something rather more protective to keep the dirt of daily life out, something more like what good old (ahem) cassettes came in, or indeed like the cases that my 1GB discs came in (although obviously not so grotesquely large).

Can one buy cases? I admit I haven't looked that hard.

I have those jewel cases and they are no more sturdier than you standard CD jewel case. I think the slip cases are better.

CD jewel cases aren't all that bad if you're nice to them. Those slip-cases don't make any real attempt to keep dust, crud, breadcrumbs, spilt coffee, etc out of the disc's innards.

There must be something better. I'm going to be on the hunt now for something that I can adapt. Do they make square(-ish) condoms? (Yes, I've just noticed that minidiscs aren't square.)

Condoms??? Where exactly do you want to keep your MDs..?

Maplin in the UK sell "unbreakable" MD cases. Each holds two discs and is made from clear plastic that's less brittle and more flexible than standard cases. Don't know where to get them elsewhere.

jonny mac: thanks, I'll check out Maplin (it's broken at the moment).

atrain: both for storage and for portability. I don't really see a difference, to be honest. If I were choosing between lugging around 100 CDs in jewel cases and 100 CDs in one of those wallet things, that would be no contest, but a dozen minidiscs is a small volume, well encased or not, so the same sufficiently good storage solution should work for both.

• 3 weeks later...