WMA lossless, WAV, SS 3.4 and SP mode on HI-MD

Rate this topic

1kyle

1) -- When importing WMA Lossless into the library you get a whole collection of extra files in the library under "Optimized files" which seem to end up in OMA format as well as the WMA files.

Now what on earth do these do --- are they also used somehow when you transfer music to the MD device or whatever.

2) A similar thing seems to happen when you use ATRAC Lossless.

3) WAV doesn't generate any extra files at all -- I've got OOODLES of disc space now (external 300GB discs are cheap enough and and 2 of these should be more than enough for any CD's I want to rip and keep on disc --- Blu ray etc with 35 - 50 GB is about to launch so backup should be no prob either).

I don't bother with downloaded music --quality still not good enough and some restrictions irksome on where you can play it etc etc.

4) transferring to SP (the old SP mode) in version 3.4 of SS seems to use most of the RAW PCM file --there's some transcoding and limited encryption -- the original SP files had a very limited encryption and DRM issues were confined to a resettable bit in the TOC --actually it was SCMS --serial copy management system rather than DRM. Since the original SP (pre Net MD units) didn't have a USB interface I would suppose the transfer must be pretty much "Bitwise" with the transcoding done in the hardware itself --which could explain the length of time taken when transferring WAV to standard SP.

5) So transferring WAV to the old SP using SS 3.4 IMO doesn't actually use the "Fake SP" mode that the "Compressed" formats might use when transcoding.

I've tried making some SP discs from WAV and they DEFINITELY DO sound better than either HI-SP or any of the MDLP modes.

Hi-SP is pretty much OK --certainly better than "the competition" and LP2 is certainly adequate for most portable listening on the move such as in cars, trains and planes--but after trying out lots of options I've finally come round to the following

Re-Rip EVERYTHING in WAV --external hard discs are cheap enough now.

Keep HI-MD sp mode discs / LP2 discs for on the move listening. (Hi-SP if you want to take 1GB discs, LP2 if your device such as car radio only plays legacy gear)

use HI-MD PCM for recording your gigs or at concerts etc etc.

For at home playing stick to the old SP mode.

(If you don't have a lot of disc space then use any decent LOSSLESS format and convert only the music you want to transfer to MD to WAV. Do your transfer and then delete the WAV file again).

Hopefully this will be the LAST rip I have to do of my CD's.

Cheers

-K

Edited by 1kyle

1) -- When importing WMA Lossless into the library you get a whole collection of extra files in the library under "Optimized files" which seem to end up in OMA format as well as the WMA files.

Now what on earth do these do --- are they also used somehow when you transfer music to the MD device or whatever.

2) A similar thing seems to happen when you use ATRAC Lossless.

3) WAV doesn't generate any extra files at all -- I've got OOODLES of disc space now (external 300GB discs are cheap enough and and 2 of these should be more than enough for any CD's I want to rip and keep on disc --- Blu ray etc with 35 - 50 GB is about to launch so backup should be no prob either).

I don't bother with downloaded music --quality still not good enough and some restrictions irksome on where you can play it etc etc.

4) transferring to SP (the old SP mode) in version 3.4 of SS seems to use most of the RAW PCM file --there's some transcoding and limited encryption -- the original SP files had a very limited encryption and DRM issues were confined to a resettable bit in the TOC --actually it was SCMS --serial copy management system rather than DRM. Since the original SP (pre Net MD units) didn't have a USB interface I would suppose the transfer must be pretty much "Bitwise" with the transcoding done in the hardware itself --which could explain the length of time taken when transferring WAV to standard SP.

5) So transferring WAV to the old SP using SS 3.4 IMO doesn't actually use the "Fake SP" mode that the "Compressed" formats might use when transcoding.

I've tried making some SP discs from WAV and they DEFINITELY DO sound better than either HI-SP or any of the MDLP modes.

Hi-SP is pretty much OK --certainly better than "the competition" and LP2 is certainly adequate for most portable listening on the move such as in cars, trains and planes--but after trying out lots of options I've finally come round to the following

Re-Rip EVERYTHING in WAV --external hard discs are cheap enough now.

Keep HI-MD sp mode discs / LP2 discs for on the move listening. (Hi-SP if you want to take 1GB discs, LP2 if your device such as car radio only plays legacy gear)

use HI-MD PCM for recording your gigs or at concerts etc etc.

For at home playing stick to the old SP mode.

(If you don't have a lot of disc space then use any decent LOSSLESS format and convert only the music you want to transfer to MD to WAV. Do your transfer and then delete the WAV file again).

Hopefully this will be the LAST rip I have to do of my CD's.

Cheers

-K

old SP in SS3.4, where? :unsure: