Using NW-A3000 in a car

Rate this question

nebs

Question

hey, i have a NW-A3000 and i would like to use it in my car (through the car speakers) could use my car sterios auc plug to play from the mp3 player if so could you link me to the product i would need (as an example)?

or can i not use the aux for this?

thanks

nebs/chris

Edited by nebs

24 answers to this question

well as no one has replied im guesing that i cant use the aux connector for this use? :)

what other options do i have for using it in my car... other than something like the itrip (in another post on this page) or one of those casette tape things as i dont have a casette player in my car?

well the radio/cd player in my car has a plug/connector that say aux over the top so i thought that i would be able plug my mp3 player is there (through the headphone socket on my A3000).

ive just had a look at it and it looks like a headphone socket but it does have "AUX" above it... i dont know much about sound systems but im guessing it stands for auxiliary?

could you/anyone give me a link to the cable that i would need?

EDIT:

it only looks like its a 3.5 socket so would this work?

http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/catalog/ind...roducts_id=1125

Edited by nebs

nebs, have a look at this link - should be a cable there for your particular head unit:

Car Audio Direct

After calling my local Pioneer car audio dealer (well, the one a Pioneer site suggested), I was given a price of £69.99 for a Pioneer CD-RB10. I said "70 quid for a cable?!!"... "No Sir, it's not just a cable, it has a box"... wow, must be an amazing box of tricks...

Anyway, sarcasm aside, the cable for £19.99 at the above site is still quite expensive (and strangely doesn't have the box) but does exactly the same thing as the £70 one.

I also read a forum post somewhere random where a guy had attempted to plug his mp3 player in to a Pioneer head unit without one of these special cables (Pioneer use some special socket / plug - IP-BUS or something - for their head units) and he had sound, albeit only from the rear speakers, quiet and no amount of messing with the audio settings could resolve it. If you have a Pioneer, it sounds like you need one of these cables, and I would imagine the other big manufacturers (Sony, Kenwood, Alpine, JVC etc) need specific cables. The site above shows pictures of cables for all major head units and they all seem to have individual plugs one end of the cable for the socket on the back of a head unit.

Hope this helps you.

Edited by Obli

Yeah, it appears that manufacturers are cottoning on to our needs. I saw a new headunit with front mounted aux socket the other day... if only mine had one...!

my headunit has a front mouted aux unit and i brought it around 2 years ago :)

still havnt got the cable yet but i will post here to say if it works/doesnt work :)

Any cheapo 3.5mm>3.5mm jack cable should do the trick, pretty simple stuff really.

Player sends sound signal out of it, head unit accepts sound signal from aux then distributes it to cars system. With this method all music selction controls would be from the player.

If you wanted to be a little more flash, then you could get one of Connects2's new adapters as seen here. This will obviously be more pricey but will allow control from the head unit, (Perhaps that is the same 'box' which is included with the pioneer one, not just a packing box, :mellow: )

When the time comes for me to get a car i think i'll be pretty content with the cheapo cable to aux method.

Edited by Richard_p

I'll quote myself, as according to the following, a normal 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable didn't work on my head unit (a 2 year old Pioneer, DEH-P5530MP)

I also read a forum post somewhere random where a guy had attempted to plug his mp3 player in to a Pioneer head unit without one of these special cables (Pioneer use some special socket / plug - IP-BUS or something - for their head units) and he had sound, albeit only from the rear speakers, quiet and no amount of messing with the audio settings could resolve it.

I guess it's worth a try. I'll give the cheap alternative a whirl, but in my case, I don't hold out much hope if the above quote is anything to go by. When I get around to it, I'll post my findings.

sorry for not updating you on this :)

but good nes - it works!! it was abot quiet until i changed the audio output to lineout :) now it works fine (great sound even with my speakers and loud!) :)

i also have a soft case to protect my player and i got a new one as mine started to creak (thanks amazon ;) )

ive also managed to put all of my CDs onto the player :D so im happy now

I would really like one which has some kind of cradle so its not being flung around the car. Plus if it could to work with the fitted remote on my stearing wheel!!

In Japan, you can acquire just such a cradle or rather a "vehicle stand" from Power Support Co. Ltd for about 5,800 yen. (click here for its WALKMAN related accessories.) Power Support does ships its merchandise to the US and other countries but the "vehicle stand" is only available for the domestic Japanese market at the meantime. A really nifty stand if I may add; I have a similar stand from Power Support, but for the PSP.

ws52_04.jpgws52_01.jpgws52_02.jpgws52_03.jpg

nebs:

What is your head unit? What do you mean by a front-mounted aux?

Thanks for responding with the good news. I have a 2 year old pioneer with an 'aux' socket at the rear... although, I don't know what an 'aux' socket is (3.5mm socket?) !

thats fine :)

i will have to check what make/model it is (ill do this as soon as i can - my sister is using the car atm)

when i say front mounted aux i mean it has a socket that looks just like the one your headphones plug into... im sure you will be able to use the aux socket at the back... just use a differant cable? 3.5 to whatever connection is at the back?

well worth the £2 i say ;) lol

Hi Ishiyoshi,

I would really like a similar cradle (vehicle stand) for my Sony Ericsson mobile phone, I've had a quick look at the site but don't understand the language. Would you be able to tell me if there is one or point me in the right direction?

Unfortunately, Power Support do not produce vehicle stand/cradle for Sony Ericsson's mobile phones.