After High speed CD==> MD (SP) how to add track info

Rate this topic

1kyle

I've still got a deck that can do high speed CD==>MD transfer (well it's 2X faster than real time but OK). At least with this I can get Genuine Digital SP transfer rather than SS 's fake SP.

For Non Hi-MD stuff I've gone back to SP --still sounds better than LP2 and it doesn't bother me carrying around 3 or 4 discs -- 4 hours listening woth headphones in one session is more than enough IMO anyway. If I'm at home popping discs into a nice jb980 isn't a problem.

Now is there any easy way to get the track info on to the disk (instead of Trk1, Trk2 etc) or do i just have to insert the CD into a computer and with a bit of cutting and pasting do it manually.

I did see some possibilities of a Linux program which used the Infra red commands from the remote (LIRC) but this looks "too Geekish" for me to try it.

Cheers

-K

Edited by 1kyle

I'll second that. I do this all the time. I record SP discs on my JE330 deck from the optical out on my CD deck. After that, I pop the disc into my NHF800 and title with SS. Because the music is most likely in my SS library already, it is just a matter of copying and pasting the titles from my library to the disc.

I would use sonicstage to title it Kyle

Actually for an SP disk it's not too bad since the sort of discs I listen to have on the whole less than 20 tracks each --however would habe been nice to have had an "Auto Edit".

At least SS allows you to edit an SP disc. Re-listening to some LP2 stuff again I can say SP definitely IS better.

I'm going to get rid of the LP2 stuff entirely. I've got some Audio books in LP4 --these are fine but for music on legacy gear SP is the way to do it == I've got enough MD blanks to last a lifetime.

Now I've got HI-SP as well I'll use the HI-SP discs for portable music whilst I'll have the old SP discs for home / "fixed" listening from a deck such as the jb980.

The new Hi-MD 352 kbs bit rate is IMO so indistinguishable from PCM / WAV as to be perfect for Hi-MD --- I always start with the WAV / PCM format in SS however).

I've now got all my CD's on 2 X 300GB dedicated external hard drives in WAV format so I can always make a HI-SP disc without relying on the optical out of an MD deck.

BTW even if the music ISN'T already in your library Simple Burner will also retrieve CD info from CDDB and you can cut and paste there as well -- saves importing the CD into your library if you don't have space or just don't need the music on your computer.

Cheers

-K

Cheers

-k

Edited by 1kyle

do the 2x cd copying decks really copy digitally? i thought i read somewhere they were done in analog?

Quote from the CMT CP500MD manual (Page 17 English version).

Recording a CD on an MD with High Speed

- CD-MD High speed Syncro recording

You can make a digital recording of a CD on an MD at twice the normal speed of CD to MD synchro recording.

In Step 3 of Recording a CD on an MD press Syncro Rec repeatedly until HISPEED SYNC appears in the display

in step 4 "x2" appears in the display.

During high speed recording you cannot listen to the playback sound

seems pretty clear that digital recording is performed here.

I'm also sure the MXD D4 CD / MD unit does it digitally as well although I haven't got the manual immediately to hand.

Since CD's (especially at the time these units / decks were current) didn't have any copy protection etc. etc. there really wasn't any reason NOT to include a digital copy facility.

Actually you can confirm that by trying to make a digital copy of the MD you've just made by playing in a deck with an optical out.

You can't make a 3rd generation copy (SCMS) you have to do it via optical out to optical in on a computer and then the optical out on your sound card to a portable MD with an optical in. This always works for as many times as you need further copies. The sound card seems to strip off or ignores SCMS bits in the output stream. I'm not sure of the actual mechanism however but it works with my gear.

Cheers

Edited by 1kyle

When you dub at more than 1x speed, the quality of sound decreases.

At real time, the unit uses ATRAC Type-R. At high speed, the unit reverts back to an older ATRAC codec (4.5?). In anycase, Type-R is a dual-pass process.

My unit can read CD-Text info straight off the disc and copy it to MD. It's limited to the first 20 tracks though, and it cuts off lengthy titles. But it works. Most of the time, I just do it manually with the remote.