Any motor noise in Hi-MD units?

Rate this topic

melmel

Hi, everyone. I have a Sony R91 unit, and I sometimes use it to record my own music. I just attach a mic to it and record myself singing while playing the guitar. But the unit makes a loud noise when spinning up a disc and recoding-- the mic also picks up those motor sounds. Do the new Hi-MD units have this problem? Do they make loud noises? I am thinking of buying a Hi-MD unit if it is noiseless. I want to continue using my basic setup. Thank you.

There is still a bit of noise when spinning up a disc etc, but nowhere near as loud as the R91 which has a notoriously loud motor mech.

The RH10 is very quite, although when the head moves back and forth over the disc it is a bit louder but nothing that will affect recordings. It also has the automatic line/mic in recording volume.

melmel: If you're thinking of buying a new device, consider the new solid-state recorder from Roland.

No motors, absolutely silent, has built-in stereo-mic + ext. mic in. Records at up to 48kHz/24bit. Price is around $450 + memory (something like $70/1GB)

melmel: If you're thinking of buying a new device, consider the new solid-state recorder from Roland.

No motors, absolutely silent, has built-in stereo-mic + ext. mic in. Records at up to 48kHz/24bit. Price is around $450 + memory (something like $70/1GB)

Yeah, I think solid-state is the way to go for me. Then there would be no noise at all. However, those devices are comparatively more expensive. I will have to think about it. The Fostex MR-8 seems decent and well-priced, but it is too big. Any suggestions for models are welcome. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

I've also got an RH10 and the noise isn't that bad. It only happens at the worst when you starting recording for the first time after powering up. After that, it's just light sounds of the temp-data being written to disc when the memory fills up (is that right? I really just pulled that outa my @ss...)

But yeah, just stuff the thing into your pocket when recording and she'll be right (assuming your mic is on a lead?)

I just wish to add another voice saying: use an extension cable for your microphone. If you plug a microphone directly into the MIC in, you're asking for motor noise problems. If you use an extension cable, 2 feet or more, you will have little or no noise problems, and you can place your mic in any position you want.

Also, start your recording in PAUSE mode, and after the first 10 seconds the motor will stop its initial spin-up. Then start recording. The noisiest part is the initial spin-up anyway.

Edited by Ral-Clan