Hi-MD, ogg and flac

Rate this topic

danielbb90

I wouldn't use any lossless compression method for listening in a portable device anyway since you can have virtually transparant files at approx. 1/5 - 1/4 the size (160-200 vs. 600-900kbps). It would just take too much space and eat batteries without offering a significant gain in quality. Ogg support would be nice, but not really necessary (for me). Maybe they should fix the crippled mp3 playback first.

Being as they have ATRAC Lossless I'd say there is about a 0.0001% chance of ever seeing any non-ATRAC/MP3 codec support in HiMD. MP3 was a *glaring* omission due to the fact everyone used it. But the percentage of people who use FLAC/OGG is so tiny anyway, I can't see Sony putting forth the effort.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it... how many other big-name portable music players support OGG or FLAC? :/

the important thing would be getting SS to work with all directshow codecs (including flac and ogg)... I really don't mind atrac(3/+) on the machine, but I would love to simply import my music library in flac->SS without having to convert to wav manually first

Hi,

I was just wondering if Hi-MD would ever move to supporting flac and ogg vorbis on the device?

Just want you'r view on this!

Chance of that happening: almost nil, because they are not Sony formats, basically. Even though these formats are technically great and there are no prohibitive royalties associated with them, as there are with mp3:

http://www.mp3licensing.com/royalty/

Leave it to the Cowon, LG and Samsungs of the world to add support for these formats. The companies who are hungrier to go 'one-better' than the dinosaurs too interested in pushing their own dying formats :)