Sony MZ-N1 recording issues

Rate this topic

Howdy!

Having some recording issues with my MZ-N1, with line-in and USB-in providing equally annoying problems:

USB-in:

Having connected up everything, data seems to transfer fine from PC to disc. When I try to play back, all tracks are recognised as being there and play for the right length, the problem being no audio is produced (tried discs in different players, data is still recognised as being there but still no audio). I can, however, use a friends unit to transfer data on to the disc, after which I experience no playback problems in my unit.

Line-in:

Recording from line-in appears to work fine; unit indicates that Data Save and TOC edit have worked. However, when I try to play back from the disc, I get Read Errors. Disc now no-longer works in any player, and isn't recognised by the PC so I can't even re-format/initialise it.

With the discs that already have audio on, I suffer no playback problems. Errors only arise when I try to change the audio on a given disc. Tried a head-cleaner and this didn't solve anything.

Anyone got any ideas as to what might be causing this, or how to fix it? Might be able to get in to a Sony Centre at the weekend so that someone can have a look at it, but you guys come highly recommmended for this sort of thing too!

Thanks in advance :-)

(oh and apologies if I've put this thread in the wrong bit of the forum!)

Sounds just like the N1 I used to have. It worked completely fine as a player, but as for recording, it would basically wipe out the disc and it was unplayable with the N1 or another unit/deck. I contacted Sony (my warranty was up) and to get an exchange (with a refurbished N1 or "similar") was ~$200US while repair was ~$100US (IF they could repair it, according to the Sony guy I called). I ended up selling it to an engineering-major friend who wanted to tinker with it. It's a shame as my N1 was in mint condition. :(

Edited by jaylen