Hi-MD Deck - not likely

Rate this topic

batfastad

So on the back of the exciting news of a new portable unit for 2006, I thought I'd stop by my local Sony Centre in town and see what they had to say about Hi-MD.

There won't be any decks this year, I was told.

Or at least they weren't listed in their shop catalogue - the RH1 was listed.

The bloke told me how Sony are trying to consolidate their range.

I'm really disappointed.

Is it worth my while setting up a website to petition for a Hi-MD deck??!

Even for another company to license the technology and produce a deck.

PLEASE???!!!

So on the back of the exciting news of a new portable unit for 2006, I thought I'd stop by my local Sony Centre in town and see what they had to say about Hi-MD.

There won't be any decks this year, I was told.

Or at least they weren't listed in their shop catalogue - the RH1 was listed.

The bloke told me how Sony are trying to consolidate their range.

I'm really disappointed.

Is it worth my while setting up a website to petition for a Hi-MD deck??!

Even for another company to license the technology and produce a deck.

PLEASE???!!!

Onkyo ?? has a Hi-MD system out I'm actually thinking of getting one myself but you'll have to get it from Japan via Audiocubes and it won't be the cheapest piece of gear either.

Cheers

-K

if it is a Sony store; they are Idiots; they don't know anything that complex. (they are probably not told).

you need to go higher up; IMO.

i have NEVER gone into a Sony store and have them answer a question right; and that's with simple questions from the board.

imagine a serious question? coffee break anyone?

Edited by rayzray

That is true.

I remember I went there last year for some information about the ability to edit / divide / combine tracks recorded on a netmd deck in LP4.

He didn't have a clue.

Yesterday when I went in there one of the blokes was baffling a customer with all sorts of confusing messages about high definition and BluRay.

God I'd love to see a Hi-MD deck.

Those Onkyo ones - they've existed in Japan over a year I believe.

http://www.minidisc.org/part_Onkyo_MD-133.html

Are they full-width hifi separates?

It looks like it should be part of a micro system of some sort.

The audio line inputs / outputs on the back - are they standard RCA phono ones found on amplifiers?

Also says it comes with two optical connections - but they must both be inputs, as it says it doesn't have digital output.

So with that I'd be able to record linear PCM to a Hi-MD disc, from a conventional amplifier?

Then upload and export as a wav with sonicstage 3.4??

And copy mp3 files over to the disc for playback on my RH10 if I want??

And use it as a data drive like my RH10?

But it says it doesn't have a USB socket or digital output.

The above are features that I thought were standard with Hi-MD units.

Right well if Sony don't do anything about a Hi-MD deck, or at least tell us about the possible future of a Hi-MD deck, then I'm getting one of those.

I love my MDS JB980s but I so badly want to have a Hi-MD deck connected permanently to my media server computer I've built.

I just searched for the Onkyo MD-133 to see where and how much I could buy one for.

But I stumbled across this article...

http://vantechmag.com/bestbuy/index.htm

If you search in that page for Onkyo MD-133 you'll notice it says...

The only home decks with Hi-MD are the mini Onkyo MD-105FX at 480usd (205mm wide) and elegant midsize Onkyo MD-133 at 640usd (050812) but they are hard to find outside Japan and I have not found any reviews, yet...

So then I did a search for the Onkyo MD-105FX in google and found quite a few pictures.

http://www.audiocubes.com/images/f_onkyo_md105fxs.jpg

Any reason why this device isn't mentioned in the equipment browser section at minidisc.org??

Why would you expect a sales-rep to know the ins-and-outs of a device that is not a popular seller. Like you, he would probably need to read the instruction manual to learn how to divide, edit, etc. At least you have a unit to experiment with...

The md-133 and md-105 have standard RCA analog inputs and outputs and two digi/opti inputs. They have no digi/opti outputs nor usb connection. Neither are full-width components but they aren't the same size either. The 133 is 275mm in width and the 105 is 205mm in width.

I've recieved my onkyo md-105FX from Audiocubes 3 month ago. I 'm very pleased with it, good sound (but the DAC doesn't reach the quality of my excelent MDS-ja20ES) - PCM and atrac3+ is a great improvment over old SP- but it lacks phones and optical output.

Now I will order the MD-133 from Pricejapan because the prices are much cheaper (with power inverter and including shipping :430€ vs 580€) .

Now I liked an Sony ES range himd deck, but more than everything: a himd car unit!!: Sony, Alpine, Kenwood,... please!!

Edited by garcou

I've recieved my onkyo md-105FX from Audiocubes 3 month ago. I 'm very pleased with it, good sound (but the DAC doesn't reach the quality of my excelent MDS-ja20ES) - PCM and atrac3+ is a great improvment over old SP- but it lacks phones and optical output.

Now I will order the MD-133 from Pricejapan because the prices are much cheaper.

Now I liked an Sony ES range himd deck, but more than everything: a himd car unit!!: Sony, Alpine, Kenwood,... please!!

For Kenwood why not use the Cable that converts the Changer switching unit on the Radio to an Aux in.

Just plug the cable into Din socket on the back of the radio. It's as simple as that.

You then just press source on the radio until you get the cable input. Plug your HI-MD unit into the minijack on the cable and you'll now find your Hi-MD unit plays through the radio.

I've posted a picture and details of this cable on the Forum so do a search or search for recent posts by user 1kyle to find it.

It's simple to fit. No drilling etc required just Plug 'n Go.

I've found the link

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showt...4369&hl=kenwood

Cheers

-K

Edited by 1kyle

Worth looking at Yahoo Japan If you want to get the decks cheaper.

http://page12.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/p40243745 - Onkyo MD-133 with a starting price of $171 compared to $629 at audiocubes (you also have to factor in shipping & customs and a brokerage percentage If you dont have any contacts in Japan but It would still work out cheaper).

Any reason why the Onkyo MD-105FX isn't mentioned in the equipment browser section at minidisc.org??

The Onkyo MD-133 is.

Any ideas?

Someone asked a similar question (about Hi-MD players though) and here was kurisu's reply:

kurisu (5,535)

-- amnesiac

Mar 7 2006, 03:34 PM

We're going to move the Equipment Browser over to Wiki format this Summer, hence why we haven't updated it much.

Edited by jaylen

Worth looking at Yahoo Japan If you want to get the decks cheaper.

http://page12.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/p40243745 - Onkyo MD-133 with a starting price of $171 compared to $629 at audiocubes

It is the finishing price that matters. These decks haven't finished at less than 40,000 en for the past few months. Sure, there is the occasional 38,000 sale that occured on a Tuesday or Sunday night. 40,000 en is less than the department store asking price of 53,800 but telling someone the price starts at 19,000 (171.00 usd) is not a good indicator. In fact, this vendor usually starts off at 500 en.

Garcou, what bitrates can you record with the 105?

record:LP1;LP2;SP;SPmono

Hi-LP;HI-SP;PCM

Play: The same + : Atrac3+ 352kbps

didn't test other atrac3+ bitrate but certainly will play

didn't test nativ mp3 but doubtful it will.

For Kenwood why not use the Cable that converts the Changer switching unit on the Radio to an Aux in.

Just plug the cable into Din socket on the back of the radio. It's as simple as that.

You then just press source on the radio until you get the cable input. Plug your HI-MD unit into the minijack on the cable and you'll now find your Hi-MD unit plays through the radio.

I've posted a picture and details of this cable on the Forum so do a search or search for recent posts by user 1kyle to find it.

It's simple to fit. No drilling etc required just Plug 'n Go.

I've found the link

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showt...4369&hl=kenwood

Cheers

-K

For playing portable MD through car audio device, no problem: I got aux input on my alpine. But I 'd like:

- the convenience of just plug in the disc in the indash unit, no cables,problem of power, vibrations etc..

- play the track name

- bypass the low-level and not hifi-sounding phones output of the portable (RH-10).

Edited by garcou

record:LP1;LP2;SP

Hi-LP;HI-SP;PCM

Play: The same + : Atrac3+ 352kbps

didn't test other atrac3+ bitrate but certainly will play

didn't test nativ mp3 but doubtful it will.

Wow, records in atrac 3 and 3+ bitrates. I thought that it might only be Hi-LP, Hi-SP, and PCM. Also glad to hear that 352 can be played. These sound like great components.

Is there a Digital CD to MD facility on these units either at real time or in "High Speed Sync" mode probably 2X real time but might be 4X. If there is will the "Synchro mode" record in all the formats the equipment can record.

I can't read Japanese so downloading the manual from the Internet doesn't help.

I'm definitely interested in getting at least one of these Onkyo units especially if the total lack of silence from SONY on any HI MD decks or mini systems.

Cheers

-K

Edited by 1kyle

Onkyo HiMD compact deck:

The bloody thing is that this deck has NO OPTICAL O U T !

Only optical in and that's lousy.

So I regard this deck as not serious.

Sony should honor the faithfullness of the long time MD adepts in particular, by manufacturing

a true legendary HiMD homedeck of exeptional quality at the end of the mechanical-digital age and the dawn of the solid state recording devices.

Why can't they refrain from profits once in a while. It will surely do their reputation good.

As an inventing company you need goodwill and confidence of your customers to help you when introducing a new technology.

In other words you can't introduce a whole new promising upgrade of a system and then leave your faithfull customers in the cold in a dead-end street. A homedeck would be the least thing to introduce.

Oti

That is true.

I remember I went there last year for some information about the ability to edit / divide / combine tracks recorded on a netmd deck in LP4.

He didn't have a clue.

Yesterday when I went in there one of the blokes was baffling a customer with all sorts of confusing messages about high definition and BluRay.

God I'd love to see a Hi-MD deck.

Those Onkyo ones - they've existed in Japan over a year I believe.

http://www.minidisc.org/part_Onkyo_MD-133.html

Are they full-width hifi separates?

It looks like it should be part of a micro system of some sort.

The audio line inputs / outputs on the back - are they standard RCA phono ones found on amplifiers?

Also says it comes with two optical connections - but they must both be inputs, as it says it doesn't have digital output.

So with that I'd be able to record linear PCM to a Hi-MD disc, from a conventional amplifier?

Then upload and export as a wav with sonicstage 3.4??

And copy mp3 files over to the disc for playback on my RH10 if I want??

And use it as a data drive like my RH10?

But it says it doesn't have a USB socket or digital output.

The above are features that I thought were standard with Hi-MD units.

Right well if Sony don't do anything about a Hi-MD deck, or at least tell us about the possible future of a Hi-MD deck, then I'm getting one of those.

I love my MDS JB980s but I so badly want to have a Hi-MD deck connected permanently to my media server computer I've built.

Yeah, introducing Hi-MD and having people upgrade their kit, and then to not produce a deck is very annoying.

I don't want solid state!

I want to have a disc that can be played in a hifi separates system, in a portable, that can hold data as well as music, pretty much bullet proof, and sound great.

Hi-MD does all that.

I just can't to hear either way - whether it's dead or alive as a technology.

Roll on April / May for Sony to make an announcement.

we all know i am a "Dreamer'; so, what if i take a Hi-MD portable to my friend ; the "electronic guru/repairman/and Sony official repair station here in RI; and; have him wire the portable into an old MD-Deck case..

it probablye fould only cost about the casme as buying a new unit.

is this "dreaming-2-Much"?

should i just go back to my "Pirate boat by the Dashboard Light:?

If I can find a service manual to one of the Onkyo units, I will most likely get one and just install one of these : http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/pc/BDE-DI...l-Modules/Sound . I have done this before to a denon (mini component) cd player I have, with good results. If your solderinig skills are not too bad and you have had a little experience with audio electronics (and can read a schematic), then installing one of these digital output kits is not that big a deal. Only trouble is, you need to be sure that you are able to do this successfully as it will certainly void your warrenty...just taking off the lid on most audio components voids warrenty.

I guess the question is : do I go ahead and do this or do I wait some more to see if Sony does come to the party and release a hi-md deck?

Having a digital output (coax preferably) is very important to me as I want to run the deck through an external dac that I own, so I can get the best possible playback.

Decisions, decisions....... :o

Wow, records in atrac 3 and 3+ bitrates. I thought that it might only be Hi-LP, Hi-SP, and PCM. Also glad to hear that 352 can be played. These sound like great components.

I've forgot : mono ( play and record )

That's awesome!!!

Where can I get one of those???!

How much??

Now if it had normal rca analogue outputs for my amplifier...

It's so annoying the Hi-MD section of the equipment browser not being up to date. I'd been relying on that thing for my research into the likelihood of a Hi-MD deck recently. Turns out there's an Onkyo model and this thing missing.

That's awesome!!!

Where can I get one of those???!

How much??

In Japan, the CMT-AH10 retails for approx. 36,000 - 38,000 yen (lowest possible price). Because the CMT-AH10 is strictly a Japanese domestic model, you will need to import the unit accordingly (as suggested by mrsoul) via online stores such as MiniDisco.com or AudioCubes.

It's so annoying the Hi-MD section of the equipment browser not being up to date. I'd been relying on that thing for my research into the likelihood of a Hi-MD deck recently. Turns out there's an Onkyo model and this thing missing.

We apologize for the inconvenience. The equipment browser is set for an overhaul to wiki format.