SonicStage 3.4 crashes on import

Rate this topic

k30248

Hi, I've tried searching and looking through the last few pages but I couldn't find the answer.

I'm using Windows XP and I disabled MP3 on ffdshow like suggested.

I have a folder I'm trying to import and when I scan folder, it crashes. I was able to import 3/4s of the mp3s in the folder by importing 1 file at a time, but several of them make SS3.4 crash as soon as I try to import. It's mostly Japanese music, but I made sure there was no japanese in the ID3 tags or the filenames. I've also tried changing the region and running it with applocale but that doesnt seem to work either (I was able to import a few files with Kanji in the title so that seemed to work fine). I'm not sure what the problem is with these few files, though, I seem to have the same trouble on my desktop computer.

It seems that SS does not accepts 160kbps coded music files (e.i. mp3). I`ve the same problem, and after transcode files to 128 kbps the problem was gone. Try to get lame.exe for decode mp3s to wav and encode them back to mp3 with different params. Sometimes lame returns header (or something) errors. Then you should to decode mp3s to wav using madplay.exe - it does all work without errors. When you got your wav file, encode it into mp3 back with 128 kbps with -h param on (higher quality). In the end try to import resampled mp3 to SS again - it should work.

You can import wav file also, but it reduces your hdd space by 10 ).

It seems that SS does not accepts 160kbps coded music files (e.i. mp3). I`ve the same problem, and after transcode files to 128 kbps the problem was gone. Try to get lame.exe for decode mp3s to wav and encode them back to mp3 with different params. Sometimes lame returns header (or something) errors. Then you should to decode mp3s to wav using madplay.exe - it does all work without errors. When you got your wav file, encode it into mp3 back with 128 kbps with -h param on (higher quality). In the end try to import resampled mp3 to SS again - it should work.

You can import wav file also, but it reduces your hdd space by 10 ).

Thanks, but I don't think that's it. Some of the files are 192/320kbps and I found out that if I remove the ID3v2 tags, they import fine. I still can't figure out how to fix the problem though.

I have a the same problem as the orignator of this thread. SS 3.4 imported much of my library flawlessly. But one particular folder - with numerous sub-folders and a lot of single files in the root of the folder - crashes it every time. I've tried all the usual import methods, including dragging and dropping groups of individual files into the library. The crashes are consistent, but the files that cause them are random (not a specfic file each time). I get a series of error messages, one of which refers to the fact that SS can't *find* any files, and a memory error, saying it can't write to the drive.

Numerous references to these same error messages can be found in various threads on this forum, but no solutions so far.

Anyone? I have some 3,000 files left to import, and I haven't even begun to try transferring to disc.

So far, SS 3.4 is a real piece of crap!

Addendum to my previous post: if using FFDshow, you have to limit its output to 16-bit in order for it to work with SS.

As to the import errors and crashes, my guess would be that your systems are not well-maintained, and that you probably have problems with other pieces of software or parts of Windows that you're not even aware of. I have yet to experience such an issue with SS, with any version between 2.1 and 3.4; but then, I'm obsessive about system maintenance.

I can only repeat what I've said elsewhere before - from where I'm standing [and I know I'm not alone in this] most of the problems with SS aren't actually with SS - they're actually problems that existed on the system before SS was ever installed or updated. SS appears to me to merely be finicky in that it insists on everything else working properly before it will.

Yes, I realise that doesn't solve your problem. My only suggestion at this point is to look at the rest of your system before actually pointing the finger exclusively at SS being the problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I realise that doesn't solve your problem. My only suggestion at this point is to look at the rest of your system before actually pointing the finger exclusively at SS being the problem.

I've never had any problems with any other software ever on my Win XP SP 2 install, and would like to add my name to the list of ppl who have the same problem, crashes importing mp3's - the problem is with SS if we're all having the same problem, SS should work around us, not us around it ffs.

I agree. I believe it to be something wrong with SS3.4, because I never had any problems with my PC too until I installed that. I too am obsessive with system maintenance.

All of my MP3 files worked perfectly fine with SS3.2, but then I decided to upgrade to SS3.4 - I completely uninstalled SS3.2, rebooted, then installed SS3.4, and I'm now having exactly the same problem.

I figured what I could do is uninstall SS3.4 and go back to 3.2. I did so, and now the same is happening in that one too.

It's obviously something that SS3.4 installs or does on installation that totally knacks it up.

I have the same issue but it crashes when I import any MP3s that are "disc 2" of a multi disc set. But heres the kicker. When I rip the Mp3s from the Cds with dbpoweramp I rip disc one just like normal but when I rip the 2nd disc I rename the files so that disc two will come after disc one. IE disc 1 is 01 - 09, so rather then having disc 2 be 01 I rename it 10 so I can just have one directory for each album/bootleg/whatever. SS 3.4 will import disc one mp3s with no problem...but when i tries to import that 1st file from the 2nd disc it just crashes. No warning or error message of any kind. All files are riped and encoded with Winamp @ 192k mp3...I spoke with sony and he said to reinstall or try it on a different computer. What a waste of time that was.

Any suggestions??

---

Edit: Well I changed the ID tag from v2 to v1 and they imported just fine...WTF?? Thanks to whoever said something up the ID tags messing it up. But why would disc one IDv2 tags be ok but disc two IDv2 tags not? Weird.

Edited by dunebug81

Actually I've come to a similar conclusion. I've found that through the process below, I have noticed that the problems are with MP3s from my NME Essential Bands compilation (Double disc!).

I tried restoring the computer back to an earlier point in time with System Restore. Before I uninstalled SS, I had a look and sure enough I had about a month's worth of restore points, so I went ahead and uninstalled. Upon uninstallation and a reboot, I went back to system restore and they were all gone!!!

Instead what I've done today is something a little time consuming but it seems to be working so far...

First, I performed a search in my MP3s folder on my computer so that I had one great big list of MP3s, all in alphabetical order. I then drag/drop about 50 at a time into SS. If it showed the import window in SS then I know it worked. However if the program crashes in any way then I know there's an MP3 it doesn't like in my batch of 50 at the time. I would then try 25, then 15, then 5 etc until I determined which file it was that was causing the problem. After finding it, I then carried on as normal, repeating the process where necessary.

I have managed to import all but 38 of my MP3s (out of a collection of 3000+) and am now in the process of backing up my library (17GB!!!! What the hell!?).

Now since I've got SS3.2 installed at the moment, what I'm gonna do is uninstall it after backing up my library, then reboot, then install SS3.4 again and see if it is stable. If so, then I just need to re-encode these 38 MP3s and I'm back to normal again :)

Edited by zxon

Just a quick update. I've now reinstalled SonicStage 3.4 and it appears to be stable. Also as well, I have noticed that I can import MP3s that I've previously transferred to the MD back into SS, even though they had originated from what SS now considers faulty MP3s. I've done this for as many of the missing MP3s as I could but I still have about 30 left over.

I'm going to analyse the "faulty" MP3s anyway and see if there is any definate connection between them all (e.g. same bitrate, same length, all from the 2nd disc of a doubleCD compilation etc). That way I might have a proper explination for what's happening and have a bug report prepared :)

Edited by zxon

FIXED!

I've managed to solve the problem on my PC with the "broken" MP3s that causes SS to crash!

What I did is copied the suspect MP3s into one folder and then changed the ID3 tag on each of them in one way, shape or form. For example, I removed comments, genres, corrected spelling, even added a "0" to the track number if there was no track number. After doing this I could happily import them back into SS without the program even whinging!

I couldn't find any conneciton between all of them though, other than that they were all the most recently encoded MP3s in my collection (Encoded in the same way that I have done for a couple of years now, I might add). Many were from the NME Essential Bands album, but two of them were mixes that I'd done as well, so they certainly weren't part of any double CD compilation.

What I also find strange is that all of these MP3s were happily accepted by SS3.2 before I installed SS3.4 :huh:

Anyway, anyone who has this problem should try the solution I've laid out above. To make things easier, use ID3 Tag-It to batch-edit your ID3 tags.

FIXED!

I've managed to solve the problem on my PC with the "broken" MP3s that causes SS to crash!

What I did is copied the suspect MP3s into one folder and then changed the ID3 tag on each of them in one way, shape or form. For example, I removed comments, genres, corrected spelling, even added a "0" to the track number if there was no track number. After doing this I could happily import them back into SS without the program even whinging!

I couldn't find any conneciton between all of them though, other than that they were all the most recently encoded MP3s in my collection (Encoded in the same way that I have done for a couple of years now, I might add). Many were from the NME Essential Bands album, but two of them were mixes that I'd done as well, so they certainly weren't part of any double CD compilation.

What I also find strange is that all of these MP3s were happily accepted by SS3.2 before I installed SS3.4 :huh:

Anyway, anyone who has this problem should try the solution I've laid out above. To make things easier, use ID3 Tag-It to batch-edit your ID3 tags.

Yeah, I found out if I remove the ID3v2 tags, then they work just fine. The v1 tags don't seem to effect the files. I just did a clean format and before any codecs were installed, I tried the importing and they were still crashing SS 3.4.

I just tried removing just the genres and comments but they're still crashing SS. I dont think SS checks for spelling :P

Edit: Accidentally made a new post and couldn't figure out how to delete it, but

I just found an easier way around this.

I used mp3tag (http://www.mp3tag.de/en/), and without having to modify any of the ID3 tags, all I have to do is load the files and save the tags which only takes a couple seconds. I'm assuming this works because this forces mp3tag to re-save all the main tag info without all the unnecessary crap like lyrics, etc.

Edited by k30248

I just found an easier way around this.

I used mp3tag (http://www.mp3tag.de/en/)), and without having to modify any of the ID3 tags, all I have to do is load the files and save the tags. I'm assuming this works because this forces mp3tag to re-save all the main tag info without all the unnecessary crap, lyrics, etc.

my SS3.3 crashed too when importing a certain mp3. now when i open SS it just crashes and shuts down with one of those error asking me if i wanna report the problem. it worked perfect b4 too. i did nothing to it.

i downloaded SS3.4 still the same thing. it just shuts down by it self when i click on "playlist" in the library. i reinstalled it a couple times still didn't work

:(

someone help please!!! or is there another probram that can burn mp3 to atrac cd? i just hate it when things crash and i did nothing to it.

help! help! help! help! help! help! help! i need it!

Edited by chocobo

If you know which mp3 it is, move it somewhere SonicStage can't see it and try SonicStage then. If all you know is that it was a recent mp3, move all your recent mp3s and try again. As the thread above suggests, something might have to be re-tagged.

o wth?? i did it. i removed all the mp3's from list then it stoped the error. but i did nothing to it ever since the last time i burned. thats homo. i had to convert my current mp3s to mp3 again. then it worked.

thx a lot

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I had that problem too, but I got it fixed by switching to the new Sonicstage CP 4.0.

Here it is: Sony support page

Then I had trouble starting it because of the database error...buuut that was an easy fix since I found this on the SONY support site FAQ:

This symptom suggests that the MDAC (Microsoft Data Access Components) are corrupted. To resolve this, proceed with the following:

1. Click Start and then Run.... In the dialog box type explorer and Click OK.

2. Click the Tools menu and select Folder Options. Click the View tab.

3. In the Advanced settings section select the option to Show hidden files and folders. Click Apply, and then OK.

4. Go to the C:\Windows\Inf folder.

5. Right click either MDAC.INF or MSACINST.INF, whichever file is present, and then click Install.

6. If you are prompted for your Microsoft Windows CD, insert the Windows CD into your CD drive

I'm running windows xp sp2 integrated and I had to use the installation cd.