710 vs. 910 ?

Rate this topic

ewrann

Hi!

I'm ready to take the plunge and buy a Hi-MD portable and will finally lay my old Sharp MT15 to rest.. My eye is on the Sony 710. Is there any reason why I should pay 40-50 more for the 910? The primary use will be to record concerts to .wav useing the Line-In. I've checked the specs and the only difference that's really attractive to me is that the 910 boasts a "new sleeker design". This difference isn't enough to sway me to spend the extra money as I'm used to the bulky MT15.

Can anyone tell me why I need the 910 over the 710?

Thanks!

E

mic-in ... the RH710 only has line-in (the RH710D NOT even line-in, only USB-downloading)

Ok - that's scary. I was under the misguided impression the 700 series had both the mic and the line in. So you're saying the 710 does not...the model number i'm looking at at Amazon is MZDH710 - have yet to find a manual online for this to confirm specs to 100%. More Googling now.

Thx,

E

Edited by ewrann

- if any Sony model says 'D' in the name it's a Downloader only so no mic-in nor line-in!

- 'E'-models are player only models so not even USB connection!

- the NH600 and RH710 do have a line-in but no mic-in

- NH700/800/900/1 and RH910/10 and M10/100 do have mic-in and line-in

I would spend the extra money and get the RH910, it's really worth it. Or look and find a NH700 somewhere. It's got everything you need and runs on an AA power source.

Woohoo! Found a NH700 NEW for $125.00 (Buyitnow) on Ebay UK and bought it. Seller is in the US w/ free shipping (I live in Connecticut). How exciting! Love the price!

Thanks for the info/help.

E

Edited by ewrann

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello,

I am a new member here and could really use your help. I am a hypnotherapist and as a part of my job, I make hypnosis recordings for my clients. For the past 2 years, I've been recording into my PC, using Mixcraft software to edit the recordings then save them in either .WAV or .MP3 format.

Over the past 5 years, I've purchased no less than TWO minidisc players, 2 Ipods (a mini and a 5th generation) and an RCA voice recorder.

Neither of the minidiscs have a mic-in jack (ARGH!!)

The Ipod mini does not have recording capabilites..and guess what, neither does the 5h generation Ipod! (double ARGH!!!!!!)

The RCA voice recorder seemed like a great option for me...but! the recorded format is a .VOC, which is totally useless to me since it cannot be converted to any other format!

So, I've recently borrowed a minidisc 707 from the media department of a college where I teach part-time. I've made a test recording on the 707, using a new mic (Sony 907 condenser), and the quality is excellent. However, I have no idea how to move and then convert the recorded file to MP3 or WAV on my PC. The manual doesn't go into that. I guess it's a software feature..

Anyway, I've now ordered the RH910 from Amazon. I've already browsed through the manual which is online in .PDF format, but again, although it has a chapter on transferring music FROM PC to minidisc, it omits to tell me how to transfer from MINIDISC TO PC and then convert the file to WAV or MP3.

Would you kindly tell me how to do this, please? Point-form would be ideal. If you could send a copy of your reply to my email address as well as posting it, I will be eternally grateful! (gracehypnosis@gmail.com)

Just out of interest, I ordered the 910 from Amazon.com and had it sent to a friend in the U.S. He will then mail it to me. Amazon does not ship this itme to Canada, where I live. All quite frustrating! Mind you, the price was right...I paid $167.00 plus $10 tax. Since the Cdn and US $ are almost at par, it was a very good deal!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Susangracehypnosis@gmail.com

I would spend the extra money and get the RH910, it's really worth it. Or look and find a NH700 somewhere. It's got everything you need and runs on an AA power source.

710 vs 910 ??

Why don't you consider the NH900, it is only a 1st gen unit, but it has a mic-in and line-in, uses a NiMH gumstick battery and has a AA battery pack that can clip on for extended battery life. It can also record in PCM. If MP3 playback isn't important to you (and from what I've read it isn't that great on the 710) then maybe you should consider the NH900, there are usually a couple on ebay.co.uk for under £100 brand new, there is a black one HERE . Also one last point the NH900 has better sound quality than the 710, with its HD Digital amp.

Hi...

thanks for replying. I think you misunderstood my question:) I have already ordered the 910. It's in the mail as I type. In the meantime, I am using a borrowed 707, which has the same voice recording capability as the 910. What I need to know is, how do I transfer a voice-recorded file over FROm Minidics to PC and then convert it to either WAV or MP3. I have Sonic Stage 2.0 from a previous minidisc and I can't seem to find out how to do this.

Thanks,

Susan

710 vs 910 ??

Why don't you consider the NH900, it is only a 1st gen unit, but it has a mic-in and line-in, uses a NiMH gumstick battery and has a AA battery pack that can clip on for extended battery life. It can also record in PCM. If MP3 playback isn't important to you (and from what I've read it isn't that great on the 710) then maybe you should consider the NH900, there are usually a couple on ebay.co.uk for under £100 brand new, there is a black one HERE . Also one last point the NH900 has better sound quality than the 710, with its HD Digital amp.

When you get the RH910, be sure to upgrade to SonicStage 3.4 (it's on Sony's site, or there's an installer available from this website). It allows for much more flexibility. You'll just click on the appropriate recording, click the "<-" button (to transfer to the computer's library) and when the file is done, right click on it and select "Save as WAV" (or something like that, don't have SonicStage on the PC I am on). It's pretty straightforward.

As far as I know, with the model you currently have, there is no easy way to move files to the PC (you can do it, but it's complicated, and if you're getting the 910 "soon" it's probably not worth worrying about). So, you can't see how to do it since you *can't* do it. :) [i may be entirely wrong on that point, I skipped the NetMD generation] The 707 is not a HiMD unit, and Sony added a lot of uploading capability to the HiMD line, especially with the release of SonicStage 3.4.

The new Sony RH1, coming out "real soon now" in North America, WILL allow you to upload the recordings you are making now on your current minidisc unit. But no other unit will at this time.

Hi Justin and thanks for your reply.

I downloaded and installed SS 3.4 successfully. As I said before, I am using a borrowed Minidisc recorder, MZ-N707 until my 910 arrives.

I made a voice recording with my mic, played it back through the minidisc and it sounds great.

I then connected the MD to my PC with the USB cable and launched SS 3.4. The MD was recognised and I could see my voice track in the transfer screen. I clicked the arrow to transfer to my library and it seemed to be doing something, however, the track never shows up in my library.

I read the help file and it says that any track that has a certain color of music note icon beside it, cannot be transferred from the device TO the library. My voice tracks have that icon beside them. It's half blue and half grey as opposed to all blue which CAN be transferred.

The section of the help file that I am reading is under "transferring from a NetMD back to my library" and here is the quote:

"Notes

* The following tracks on a Net MD (marked with the blue/grey music icon ) may not be able to be transferred back to My Library on your computer:

o Tracks transferred from another computer

o Tracks recorded using a device other than a computer (for example, an MD deck) "

So I assume this is what you are referring to when you say that the 707 is not as advanced as the 910...? Or are you saying that even with the 910 and SS 3.4, I will NOT be able to make a recording with my mic and transfer those files to my PC/Library? (your post suggests that this can only be done with the RH1 )

As well, will I be able to use my regular Minidiscs in the 910 and successfully transfer voice recordings to the library or must I buy the Hi-MDs?

I appreciate your help.

Thanks!

Susan

When you get the RH910, be sure to upgrade to SonicStage 3.4 (it's on Sony's site, or there's an installer available from this website). It allows for much more flexibility. You'll just click on the appropriate recording, click the "<-" button (to transfer to the computer's library) and when the file is done, right click on it and select "Save as WAV" (or something like that, don't have SonicStage on the PC I am on). It's pretty straightforward.

As far as I know, with the model you currently have, there is no easy way to move files to the PC (you can do it, but it's complicated, and if you're getting the 910 "soon" it's probably not worth worrying about). So, you can't see how to do it since you *can't* do it. :) [i may be entirely wrong on that point, I skipped the NetMD generation] The 707 is not a HiMD unit, and Sony added a lot of uploading capability to the HiMD line, especially with the release of SonicStage 3.4.

The new Sony RH1, coming out "real soon now" in North America, WILL allow you to upload the recordings you are making now on your current minidisc unit. But no other unit will at this time.

The problem is that you cannot upload net MD recordings to the PC even with the recent edition of sonic stage. When you get the 910 which is a hiMD you will be able to upload recordings made with the 910 to the PC and then you can right click on the tracks and export them as WAV files to the PC and use them as you'd like. The new Rh1 that is coming out soon is capable of uploading net MD recordings but I doubt you'll want to get this as you've just bought the 910. There are ways of uploading the recordings in real time using software such as audacity, I've done this with net MD recordings. You could also try recording from the 707 to the 910 and then you could upload the old recordings but again this would involve realtime recordings.

As well, will I be able to use my regular Minidiscs in the 910 and successfully transfer voice recordings to the library or must I buy the Hi-MDs?

Yes, as long as you format them in HiMD format first. You can only upload if you record in HiMD mode (except with the RH1).

Ah..thank you everyone for all of your very helpful replies! I assume I will need to RFTM and it will explain clearly how to format the Minidiscs in the HiMD format?;)

Audacity is OK, but I found another freeware that I prefer. It's called wavpad. It can be found/downloaded at www.nch.com.au. It comes with a few other goodies such as CD burning, CD ripping and a conversion tool.

Susan

Yes, as long as you format them in HiMD format first. You can only upload if you record in HiMD mode (except with the RH1).

Yeah, it should all be in the manual about how to format the "old" style minidiscs to HiMD-format. It actually allows twice the recording time doing this, too! Of course, formatting the discs will erase any recordings on it, so be careful. (it won't allow you to "convert" a disc to HiMD, it will erase it so you can start over)