A Beautiful Revelation -- the Epic MZ-RH1 Arrives

Christopher

Heck I don't even see a jog dial, sony could've done much better with this one.

DEFINATELY.

The fully rotating jog dial is a must when having 1gb of storage the possibility of hundreds of tracks on one disc. Pressing buttons is a nuissance just to skip from track to track, the reason why the ipod is a little more popular than its obvious reason (advertising) is its scroll, because it WORKS. Almost every other hi-capacity DAP lacks this feature, and the ones which do, do a great job (Sandisk Sansa e260).

Sony should have done a few things with this md player:

-AA battery pack

-3 line screen (or more) much like the RH10

-better efficiency of battery, 16 hours for mp3 playback @ 128kbps is barely beating the ipod video, and we all know sony exaggerates their estimates.

-again, the rotating jog wheel

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This sure is great news. I hope there will be a Hi-MD deck soon. Sony only needs to make one model: a high-end USB 2.0 with tray loading, timer, SF edit & etc--essentially an updated MDS-JA333ES. Charge me anything under $1,500CDN and I WILL purchase it.

As good as this news is, here in Canada it's as if we're on some remote planet.

For the last several years we have not been able to purchase an MD deck, not even the E series units are available. (See sonystyle.ca)

I can afford to purchase and power-supply-fix an MDS-JB980QS if I could get one from mp3-player.de but they refuse to ship to Canada.

My MZ-RH10 was bought as a special order item in Toronto. I have yet to see one stocked anywhere in Canada, not even the SonyStore has one!

I've talked with my contact at the SonyStore in Burlington, Ontario, asking him if he could get me an MD deck through his contacts at Sony, and finds no help.

Sony: Every consumer electronics item in my home is bought from your company (apart from a JVC DVHS deck I got for cheap last summer) I have several walkmans, 2 VHS VCR's an SVHS VCR, three receivers and two TV's, including the latest BRAVIA XBR & etc. You've got the market cornered as far as I'm concerned and I am eager for more. Would you please bring a deck here for me to buy?

Here's dedication: I use SonicStage on my Mac under Virtual PC--burns a CD in about 8 times as long as it takes to listen to it and I've converted about 3 dozen discs so that I can load something onto my MZ-RH10.

Sony, Here's An Offer: I'm a software engineer with more than 20 years experience, and have intimate knowledge of Mac OS X's HAL, CoreAudio, Cocoa, QuickTime and Carbon. I'll be happy to convert your codecs to work on the Mac so Mac users can burn MD's as well as upload to AIFF, AAC & most certainly ATRAC. You name the price and I'll do the work professionally and without delay.

I still love my RH-10 and will whine about this one not having the ability to change batteries WHILE RECORDING like my RH-10 does (add external pack, slip out gumstick, slip in new one - or, have enough power on gumstick to swap AAs). Those of us who bought MDs for recording agonise over the thought of recording dropping out because the battery is flat.

/slap on hand

BAD SONY! BAD!

On the other hand, I'm sad because my RH-10 can't do SP Uploads and I would really love to be able to do that. I have 2 friends with Net-MD (one a deck, one a port) and would dearly love to convert their music for them.

I can't see the sense in two Hi-MDs though, and because neither of the two options suit my various needs, I'll be enjoying my RH10 for the time being. There's nothing wrong with it. It rules. It's just not... the hottest anymore.

Oh, to be a teen again and have 50 bucks a week from work and no expenses...

Then again, owning a house is better than buying toys... I suppose...

Sony owes Minidisc Australia a big favour for unloading all those old HiMD units so maybe they will get a batch of RH1s to sell in Australia.

Sefu, any possibility of Minidisc Australia stocking them ?

Not too sure at this stage, it really all depends with Sony Australia.

From my impression the MD format is gone in Australia and Sony hasnt done enough to get their MP3 players out there so to me the Sony portable range is in shambles here in Oz; The NWA3000 is currently out of stock and could be discontinued here in Oz when it was only released a few months ago.

But weirder things have happened, and it would be a real shame if they decide not to bring this unit into the Australian market. If Sony only knew how many disappointed Mac users are out there and the huge gap they are leaving behind when or if they do not continue with the MD market

This sure is great news. I hope there will be a Hi-MD deck soon. Sony only needs to make one model: a high-end USB 2.0 with tray loading, timer, SF edit & etc--essentially an updated MDS-JA333ES. Charge me anything under $1,500CDN and I WILL purchase it.

As good as this news is, here in Canada it's as if we're on some remote planet.

I concur with andrelipinski's feelings on md in Canada.

The md product line is poorly managed/supported in Canada. Why would Sony distribute portables here but no decks? I am sure there are many out there who have a portable would also like a home deck. Hopefully if a Hi-MD deck is ever released, it also gets released in Canada. No one uses tapes anymore and we need the digital replacement. It's the year 2006!

Not too sure at this stage, it really all depends with Sony Australia.

From my impression the MD format is gone in Australia and Sony hasnt done enough to get their MP3 players out there so to me the Sony portable range is in shambles here in Oz; The NWA3000 is currently out of stock and could be discontinued here in Oz when it was only released a few months ago.

But weirder things have happened, and it would be a real shame if they decide not to bring this unit into the Australian market. If Sony only knew how many disappointed Mac users are out there and the huge gap they are leaving behind when or if they do not continue with the MD market

Oh we'll just keep hoping to see the RH1 here via Minidisc Australia.

I think we'd be better off here if Sony Australia just closed down and SonyJapan sent stock directly here (eg World Tourist models).

Sadly Sony Australia doesn't seem to want to know how many HiMD recorders have been imported privately into Oz or even what the current demand is.

Damn, just looking at it makes me feel like falling in love again. And here's me in Malaysia where Sony's decided not to bring in MD anymore.

I don't see the lack of an AA adaptor to be that much of a problem. I'm sure someone can whip up a solution if they so wish. My main concern would be how reliable the unit is, so I'll probably be waiting until enough people play with it for long enough to get an idea of what sorts of issues I may have to contend with. My NH900 still works like a charm, after all.

If they're aiming this in any way at the pro market, or at anyone else who is depending on the unit to make a crucial live recording, then not having an external battery attachment is extremely stupid.

Too right! That was one of the things that drew me to MD/Hi-MD. For batteries, it doesn't get more convenient than AA's (not to mention how long they last. My best is 20hrs using Energizer MAX [AUS market] using just PCM and MDR-F1 cans).

Pressing buttons is a nuissance just to skip from track to track, the reason why the ipod is a little more popular than its obvious reason (advertising) is its scroll, because it WORKS. Almost every other hi-capacity DAP lacks this feature, and the ones which do, do a great job (Sandisk Sansa e260).

You would like the nav' scroll on the Creative Zen's. Up is up, down is down; none of this clockwise/counter-clockwise arthritis-inducing crap.

Speaking of the ZEN, IMHO it's an great size (20Gb version is the same size as a deck of cards). I don't know why Sony don't make their players more more rectangular, that way they can put more stuff that the typical Hi-MD user (prosumer) wants in them. TOSLINK out? Space for 2 AA's so you can record PCM w/out AC adaptor? A bigger screen [monochrome to save battery life]? Bigger, less fiddly buttons? (my hands are huge).

I'm expecting a reply from someone saying "they don't make it rectangular so that it looks different!" True. I don't have a comeback for that. I just find the ZEN easier to hold than the square walkmans IMHO. (Mind you, the only reason why I got it is because you can use the software as a virtual Hi-MD recorder and I got sick of carting 12 Hi-MD's around. I just use Hi-MD for classical now).

My wish list for future (likely to happen?) models:

-A Blu-Ray version with 15 or 20Gb discs (same physical dimensions as current MD's), but with backward compatibility for Hi-MD's and NetMD's :crazy:

-AA battery support!

-TOSLINK out

-SACD/DVD-A recording and playback (chance of happening 1:983296982765239876).

-How about some on-board flash memory to use as a record and playback buffer? You could also have a "timeshift" sort of thing, which will record audio from mic just in case you miss the start of your recording (of course, you can turn this on/off in the menu). Should be really cheap to implement; 8Mb should get you about 40secs in PCM.

-9 band EQ.

-A bigger screen. Can be monochrome; leave the photos and movies for every other player (and PSP), and leave MD to do what it does best: audio.

-Bigger buttons for freaks with big hands like mine :lol:

Phew! Anyone else care to add something? Should be interesting...

"Furthermore, the MZ-RH1 is PC and Mac compatible (it will come with a new version of Mac uploading software which we'll report on later) out of the box."

Would you know if this means other MD models would also work on a Mac with this software, if only for downoloading recordings? I have an MZ-RH910 which I bought last Xmas despite the incompatibility with Mac...(grrr?)

Marie

[Congrats on this excellent website by the way]

Is this the last (Hi-)MD unit ever?

At the time of my writing this:

Defying Expectations, Third Generation Hi-MD Unit Surfaces?

got 35,904 veiws and counting

And this thread had 13,930 views and counting.

With such interest and (we hope) demand for this product do you think it is really likely that this will be the Last HI-MD unit? I don't think so. It seems every time a new unit hits the market someone says, "the last MD/HI-MD", but has MD or HI-MD died? No, it has not. Even with the sales of Mp3 players this does not mean that people (even the same mp3 player buying people) are not still buying HI-MD and MD units at least in Japan. But, that is just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt. Anyway, I am very happy that what looks like good looking, and well crafted unit HI-MD unit is going to hit the market soon! I hope it sales well and more demand for it rises.

Anyway I have got to get back to work,

Mikami

Edited by Mikami

All I can say is HELL YES. I wanted one of these before the official announcement... but with being able to upload my old SP recordings from 7 years ago as well as voice recordings sent home by my brother in the field (recorded on an MDLP unit)... this thing is a must have.

I'm just fine with Sony keeping Hi-MD as a niche product, so long as they don't kill it completely.

Nice unit, hopefully it doesn't have the (or similar) design failure of MZ-N1 with the cracking recorder head-cable.

I would take a look on the inner side before buying... I would blame myself neverending if I would fall in the same pit as with my Mz-N1 unit. A 50 cent cable cracks and Sony will repair it for half of the prize of a new unit.

If guarantie lasts for 8 years, then what the heck... if not, think twice, look at the MZ-N1 topics and the inner design of this new unit!

Nice gadget dough...

Cheers,

misran

ps. free up/down -load for everyone! :)

My MZ-N1 unit is in perfect performance and have more than 4 years. Maybe the cracking recorder head-cable depend of the habits of use. I ever stop with my hand the movement of the ejecting disc. I didn't like the type of ejecting of discs, its more better last units (R70 for example

Sorry for you anger

So it will definitely mean getting an extra battery and keeping it charged. Or somehow finding a higher-capacity battery that fits the slot.

If they're aiming this in any way at the pro market, or at anyone else who is depending on the unit to make a crucial live recording, then not having an external battery attachment is extremely stupid.

I am agree with you completely. I hoped that sony makes Ni-MH battery in this model or external battery,like MZ-RH910, but it seems like portability is more important for sony,than wishes of users

They said Apple was dead too, you know. Ha, ha.

Does RH1 have a speaker and/or microphone? I'm coming from a B100...

Not it does not

From fiction to reality, the latest generation of Hi-MD has arrived; all of the specifications and media have been revealed, and we've got it all covered. There is a special surprise for legacy MD users..+++

Good move from Sony!

I am happy enough now, and think I can probably decide to jump into the HiMD world too with this one.

So a question comes to my mind: and I would like to have some genre of kind answer from someone working in Sony. Why not add the MD-DATA disc reading logic to catch the other half of legacy users too? There are LOTS of musicians out there using multitrack MD-DATA units (like Sony's MDM-X4 or 8 tracks Yamaha MD-8) and disks, and wishing their machines had a digital output.

So the question came out naturally when I read this unit's announcement: why enabling MD Audio disc upload via USB, and why not add the MD-DATA tracks uploading too? That shouldn't be too difficult or costly! The disk has obviously the same form factor and so it should be only a matter of software (driver) logic. Logic that Sony has already written and ready, of course! So, what's the problem?

I really hope someone from Sony or someone that's related can kindly answer this here and if they can't do it they can explain the technical or commercial issues that are blocking them from releasing this feature. I believe they will sell much more of the new units (of course to the forementioned musicians), if they do it.

Sony listen! You ARE the best, you can become more popular if you don't ever consider dead the cool ideas you've had before, but just consider them still alive. Please, don't make the MD-DATA users feel like a kind abandoned zombies in this digital world (by the way you are still producing those MD-DATA disks, aren't you?) if you can make this resurrection by a really simple feature adding. That way you'll see that you didn't do any mistake in producing it in the past, isn't it true? You didn't mistake! MD-Data recorded music and sounds will still live, and forever at max quality!

And, oh yes, like someone else said I also wished there was a MZ-RH1 colored in blue too.

I am surprised, the sony's intend to hold the classic speech/music-recording private customers (like me). Good for real creative naturally audio-events, not only using the cropped mp3-(web)"performances".

But at my three AIWA portable's (AM-F60/65/70) automatic-level recordings suffer from distortions :angry: if to loud and directly by microphone (ATRAC-coded bit-technology will support this ?), otherwise reduced microphone-sensitivity will cut off naturally dynamic-atmosphere. I think and ask here MD-community: with sony-MD's Autom.Lev.Ctrl.-ALC is better ?, I think really yes ??--

nice greetings, sibro/ germany :ok:

I'm probably being dense, and certainly being ignorant, but where it says on the side of the device "Mic (plug in power)" (if I've remembered the wording correctly), what does it mean by "plug in power", exactly?

Some external microphones of the electret variety require their own power supply, usually something modest like an AA cell or two. Plug in power allows the microphone to be powered by the unit, rather than the mike's own internal battery.

While i really like the new features, perhaps the most important feature for a live recording enthusiast is the option of an AA battery attachment.

This in my opinion is another stupid mistake on sony's part. Anyways, good product. Good software. Good looking. Bad logic :)

I am new to posting on the forum. I have a question that I am flabbergasted that it hasn't been asked yet in these 13 pages so far. The initial post lists the RH-1 with a "battery life" table which mentions battery time while recording in legacy formats. I know this has been asked before in other forums (with no clear answer) before this announcement was made on the 23rd, but what I must know is:

DOES THE RH-1 ACTUALLY RECORD IN LEGACY FORMATS, SPECIFICALLY SP (LIKE THE 1ST GENERATION)?

Since Sony (well, maybe they HAVE changed-we'll see) seems to not care to provide a car or home deck, I still demand SP recording ability. I don't care to use this unit only as a "transfer medium" to upload music to a computer and burn a CD. MD succeeds on so many levels to just use it as a way to get old SP discs or new live recordings to a computer. I play MD's as my main source of music on a stereo like the old days. I have wanted to get into Hi-MD the same way I am into legacy MD in so much as using it as a tape recorder; i.e., miles away from a computer. So, without a deck, I've stuck to legacy SP. But, I want some of the advantages of Hi-MD (specifically PCM) but I absolutely hated the fact that the second generation gave the big "F.U." to us legacy supporters ($32000 in legacy equipment anyone?) by killing legacy SP recording (which is still an AMAZING triumph of compression as far as sound quality).

Also, the newer bitrate recording options excite me (especially the improvements over Hi-SP). But, in subsequent posts regarding the RH-1 I have seen no mention of any additions of bitrate choices-including lossless-via real-time recording (i.e., again, without a computer). The lack of anyone asking a question such as this, and specifically no mention of any such a direct recording improvement leads me to believe, sadly, that this unit can only do Hi-SP or Hi-LP natively without a computer in regards to Hi-MD recording modes. I hope I'm wrong.

So, again my main questions are:

1) CAN THE RH-1 RECORD IN LEGACY SP?

2) WHAT ARE ALL THE ACTUAL NON-COMPUTER DIRECT RECORDING MODE CHOICES?

Thanks! Sorry for the caps, but I've read this forum for hours and can't find my answer!

PS...LOVED THE POSITIVE RESPONSES OVER AT ENGADGET! :D

Edited by UMWOOFWOOFF

DEFINATELY.

The fully rotating jog dial is a must when having 1gb of storage the possibility of hundreds of tracks on one disc. Pressing buttons is a nuissance just to skip from track to track, the reason why the ipod is a little more popular than its obvious reason (advertising) is its scroll, because it WORKS. Almost every other hi-capacity DAP lacks this feature, and the ones which do, do a great job (Sandisk Sansa e260).

Sony should have done a few things with this md player:

-AA battery pack

-3 line screen (or more) much like the RH10

-better efficiency of battery, 16 hours for mp3 playback @ 128kbps is barely beating the ipod video, and we all know sony exaggerates their estimates.

-again, the rotating jog wheel

The ipod is a player.

The RH1 is designed for the semi-pro market of recordists.

If you do our own recordinds, you usually end up with long tracks (that you can split home on your PC) at high bitrate, which means very few tracks per HiMD actually. So I personnaly don't see much the need for large display or rotating wheel. And if you are locking for this, the RH10 (or other units) is already there. I agree on the battery, but because of PCM/HiSP recording time.

@UMWOOFWOOFF

Welcome to the forums !

1)Yes, old SP is back !

2) We should get SP, LP2, LP4, PCM, HiSP, HiLP I believe

Edited by Roamer

Wow... *deep breath.. relax

ok im ok its fine. firstly im very happy that MD lives and breaths not just in our cruel and twisted 'sony' hearts.

I was worried for a while that id be stuck with my nh-1 forever without having an oppertunity to get a functional & slim designed upgrade. true i probably wont purchase this model but i am certain that if sony keeps heading in this 'customer' friendly direction i will be out there..(Indoors on the computer(Australia)) shelling out my hard earned cash for another model sometime in the future.

So im just a little interested in the usb 2.0 detail is that upload as assumably the unit can read that fast or can be designed to read that fast. But what about download? can it record faster? i thought that the magneto-optical system was maxed out. and im guessing that it doesnt have twin recording heads as that would probably near double the cost. Can anyone clarify the usb2 statement?

also i'd like to register my interest in a pc unit or usb capable deck with multiple recording heads for superfast download.. as transfer speed is one area that minidisc has trouble keeping up with developing technologies or at least has in the recent past.

anyway i am very supportive of this new unit and maybe the new ceo. isnt all that bad... i'll probably even stop my death threats and slander campaigns against him

:rolleyes:

Oh, thank you Sony, that looks lovely. Is this really likely to be the last Hi-MD recorder? Guess I'll need to buy two - one for now, plus one for the future after the first has broken.

Hmm, will need to buy a stack of batteries as well by the look of it!

It will certainly be splendid to upload all of my precious old MD recordings.

Okay, I've read enough that now I have to ask my question. I love the look of this unit, and from what I hear, I think it will be the perfect unit for me to purchase as my first Hi-MD unit. I use MD as my main audio source when not at home (at home it's my PC), and I record 2-3 hours a week (which will probably go up). Should this be my first unit? Is there another unit that suits my need just as well? I do love the look of it, I love how the display is on the thin side, not on the face, I love everything about MD (and this unit).

I was looking at getting an import RH710 that has a mic input, would this be a better choice? I do have some recordings in SP (most are in LP2 because I have a limited supply of disks), and being able to direct upload them would be nice, but I don't mind the time it would take to record them realtime (to make CD's for others who aren't as technology-equipped as us MD users).

Also, for those who complain about not having an external AA batter pack - if this unit can be powered via USB, is it possible to make a battery pack that plugs into the USB port?

From past Sony history, the US release will have:

1. A silver only color

2. A downgraded remote - probably without a LCD.

This is probably true which sucks. I really hate silver models they look so lame. I would be cool to get a black model. I can't wait to get one. I'm not a fan of the big display screen; that scratches way to easy.

That post was in reference to the Japanese domestic model.

The remote bundled with the RH1 by region will likely be:

1. Japanese model = RM-MC35ELK
  2. All other regional model = RM-MC60 or RM-MC33EL/RM-MC38EL

If Sony actually dares to reduce the 6-line display to a 1-line display,

and then has the balls to stick a non-LCD remote with this device for the European model,

they can go and f*ck themselves, cause they won't receive any of my money.

Edited by ro0tz

That post was in reference to the Japanese domestic model.

The remote bundled with the RH1 by region will likely be:

1. Japanese model = RM-MC35ELK
  2. All other regional model = RM-MC60 or RM-MC33EL/RM-MC38EL

Thank you for your reply, Ishiyoshi. If the unit comes with the RM-MC60, though, I think there will be a lot of unhappy people. The other two, though, I think we'd be able to live with since it contains some sort of LCD.

Indeed, that was the case with the RH10.

Since RH10 had a large display, a non display remote was perhaps reasonable. I couldnt live with a non display remote with my NH1, here again with its single line display I dont think Sony will pack a non display remote with RH1, unless they think that this is only a pro/field recording unit, and not for playback.