A Beautiful Revelation -- the Epic MZ-RH1 Arrives

Christopher

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm terribly excited by this information...shame I've only had my RH10 for three weeks! Still, one day I hope to own this RH1! It's total motivation to get a high paying job :-) I like the display being on the side...much more stealthy to sneak a look, and that recording control along with the time/date stamp...well, I'm really, really dying to get my hands on one! Now if only they have a great remote that would allow control over starting and stopping recording, and a recording level/status monitor on the remote so you don't have to take out the whole machine to check and see that it's doing its thing!

minispecs

The BEST News for Minidisc since the HI-MD format made it's debut. Love the sleek, compact design of the RH1 with the record levels and controls in easy to use and logical orientation. An external battery would be a plus. Unless they have improved the capacity from the current MZ-RH10 "gumstick" battery. I use the sidecar battery for ALL field recordings on my RH10. I'm looking forward to picking up a MZ-RH1 as soon as it is released in the US.

We also need to have Sony build a HI-MD home deck. I currently have a MDS-JB940 deck that works fantastic with standard MD. I would definitely purchase a home HI-MD deck for advanced audio editing and sound quality.

Don

The BEST News for Minidisc since the HI-MD format made it's debut. Love the sleek, compact design of the RH1 with the record levels and controls in easy to use and logical orientation. An external battery would be a plus. Unless they have improved the capacity from the current MZ-RH10 "gumstick" battery. I use the sidecar battery for ALL field recordings on my RH10. I'm looking forward to picking up a MZ-RH1 as soon as it is released in the US.

We also need to have Sony build a HI-MD home deck. I currently have a MDS-JB940 deck that works fantastic with standard MD. I would definitely purchase a home HI-MD deck for advanced audio editing and sound quality.

Don

The RH1 uses a lithium battery so it will run for 6 hours in PCM with a full charge. That is usually more then enough for any show or festival.

That's still not quite USB 2.0 in terms of full speed. More to the level of fully saturated USB 1.1, but nowhere near full USB 2.0.

When you put a DVD or a CD writer in an USB 2.0 enclosure and a HD to another USB 2.0 enclosure the HD transfer rates will always be higher than the DVD-CDRW's, no? I think Sony found a new way to spin the MD faster... maybe a new design? Who knows.

The 7 band spectrum analyzer works during playback. You can see this in action at mdcenter.nl and the video file that MDfreak recorded. Aside from the L/R, Spectrum Analyzer, this unit has another vis mode during playback (Spectrun w/ Circles instead of the bars is the best way I can describe it).

I know I'm going to be watching that video lots on my cellphone (w800i) :D

The 7 band spectrum analyzer works during playback. You can see this in action at mdcenter.nl and the video file that MDfreak recorded. Aside from the L/R, Spectrum Analyzer, this unit has another vis mode during playback (Spectrun w/ Circles instead of the bars is the best way I can describe it).

I know I'm going to be watching that video lots on my cellphone (w800i) :D

I have already uploaded it to my w800i watching right now. Better than watching on a high res display.

Looks like Sony had fun making this unit. I like the menu effects and the two graphic EQ's. Plus they brought back the red LED which I always liked on the NH1. When recording does the display ever shut off leaving the LED as the only activity indicator?

I'm just gonna throw this out to anybody --

For voice recording, lecture/meetings --

Is this "the" MD unit to own now?

it's not out yet, not for a month or so but yes looks like it

Tested that: only one line works.

This is a problem. With the introduction of HiMD, support for a 3-line remote is essential for a unit with a single line display, since several hundreds of songs can be stored on a single minidisc. Navigating through numerous albums and songs with a single line remote is a painstaking task.

Can all functions of the rh1 be used without the remote? I'd like to skip from group to group by pressing buttons on the main unit. This is possible with the NH700 but not with the RH10.

Also, does the RH1 have a line-out socket or does one switch the headphone out to line-out via the menu?

Thanks

Any chance there are level meters on playback?

Yes! (see the first big picture we made. that is when playing a track).

Can all functions of the rh1 be used without the remote? I'd like to skip from group to group by pressing buttons on the main unit. This is possible with the NH700 but not with the RH10.

Also, does the RH1 have a line-out socket or does one switch the headphone out to line-out via the menu?

Thanks

As with the current firmware, all playback-options are only available on the remote but as this is a pre-production model I can imagine this can change (but for now, only via the remote).

The line-out socket (als you can see on the pictures is combined with the headphone out and you can switch between them via the menu).

I'd like to skip from group to group by pressing buttons on the main unit. This is possible with the NH700 but not with the RH10.

Thanks

This is not true. Use the scroll wheel then press the rewind button. This gives you a page where you can scroll through the list of groups on the disc. Trust me.

This is not true. Use the scroll wheel then press the rewind button. This gives you a page where you can scroll through the list of groups on the disc. Trust me.

Neat. I never knew this [i rarely use the controls on the unit for playback] ..

When using the scroll wheel to navigate, it appears that

<< ducks "out" of a group, and

>> ducks "in" to a group.

Neat. I never knew this [i rarely use the controls on the unit for playback] ..

When using the scroll wheel to navigate, it appears that

<< ducks "out" of a group, and

>> ducks "in" to a group.

Correct. I'm not going to admit how long I owned the thing before I stumbled upon that feature.

Eshilon: I don't want to scroll, I want to skip by pressing a button. I want to skip from group to group without having to look at the display. With the NH700, I press the group button and whenever I then press forward or back, I hear the beginning of the first track of the previous or next group. Can one do a similar thing with the RH10?

Thanks

is it advisable to import the rh1 from japan or wait until it comes out in europe?

is is really expensive to import?

do you get any extra kit and are there power supply issues?

plus who imports

cheers

I`m thinking of importing one RH1 from Japan ..If you are in Europe than you can wait for 10 more days after it has been released in Japan .

Price in Europe will be 350(euro ) & Price in Japan is 39,800(yen) about $350 but you should also consider shipping charges as well .

Don`t worry about Low Volume i`m sure vol hack for RH1 will be released here for European version.

I`m thinking of importing one RH1 from Japan ..If you are in Europe than you can wait for 10 more days after it has been released in Japan .

Price in Europe will be 350(euro ) & Price in Japan is 39,800(yen) about $350 but you should also consider shipping charges as well .

Don`t worry about Low Volume i`m sure vol hack for RH1 will be released here for European version.

just rang my local sony centre, apparantly the rh1 is not being released to the general public in the uk, as sony thinks it's not feasible, only radio stations can have the rh1 in the uk, damn!!!

guess i'll have to order mine from germany

i can't speak japanese, where can i find a trustworthy japanese importer if i were to go down that route?

Edited by astranovus

Does that mean you can buy/make a USB power supply and let it power/charge the battery :blink:

That might be the answer to all our moaning about the battery options in the field. ;)

I'm amazed that there isn't already a giant battery pack that can power and charge all kinds of USB devices. (You'd think someone would make one for the iPod, with a honkin' big UPS battery in it.)

The fact that the unit forgets its settings when you swap batteries is a BIG lose. Who the hell could have been THAT stupid in 2006? (I'm actually surprised that they consider miniscule size a feature in a professional product. Give me a machine twice the size with bigger buttons and a giant battery pack already--even a few millimetres thicker and they could have stuck four more gumpacks in there.)

~ Kiran <entropy@io.com>

Eshilon: I don't want to scroll, I want to skip by pressing a button. I want to skip from group to group without having to look at the display. With the NH700, I press the group button and whenever I then press forward or back, I hear the beginning of the first track of the previous or next group. Can one do a similar thing with the RH10?

Thanks

Doesn't the non-LCD remote do that for you? I guess you want to do this with the unit, not sure on that one.

Maybe we should take this to a new thread???? How to access groups faster with your RH10/RH910

just rang my local sony centre, apparantly the rh1 is not being released to the general public in the uk, as sony thinks it's not feasible, only radio stations can have the rh1 in the uk, damn!!!

guess i'll have to order mine from germany

i can't speak japanese, where can i find a trustworthy japanese importer if i were to go down that route?

Just phoned my local(ish) Sony Centre (the Ipswich one if it helps) and the guy there confirms that as soon as they are available I can buy one from him! So you should be fine buying one as a consumer in UK. Hope this helps.

Just phoned my local(ish) Sony Centre (the Ipswich one if it helps) and the guy there confirms that as soon as they are available I can buy one from him! So you should be fine buying one as a consumer in UK. Hope this helps.

thx mate,

some of these sales people really are dumb, guess i got a trainee or something

""""The 7 band spectrum analyzer works during playback. You can see this in action at mdcenter.nl and the video file that MDfreak recorded. Aside from the L/R, Spectrum Analyzer, this unit has another vis mode """"

I cannot find these videos.... could somebody help ? thanks.

""""The 7 band spectrum analyzer works during playback. You can see this in action at mdcenter.nl and the video file that MDfreak recorded. Aside from the L/R, Spectrum Analyzer, this unit has another vis mode """"

I cannot find these videos.... could somebody help ? thanks.

this is the forum

http://www.mdcenter.nl/redirect.php?file=h...51c6e40bde48ae9

and the video is botton of the last picture of the fist page

Edited by alberttf

I've been using Mindisc since 1997. Never seen an ad for one. Sony ought to promote the heck out of this latest unit if it's serious. Ad budgets matter. How they claim "poor market response" when no one knows about the things. Guess I'm dreaming.

There was some advertisement before the Netmd and MDLP came out. But since then there is no minidisc advertisement as much as iPod today. I see iPod on the back of most magazines all the time. What Sony need to focus now is advertisement campaign. They need to come up with a colorful booklet that shows older minidisc from the beginning that is compatible now with new RH1. Is going a tougher competition since mp3 player are more accepted and well known house hold name.

Greetings everyone,

Geez, I haven't considered the minidisc format for some years, since the last time I purchased a mp3 player/recorder. But this unit really has me excited, I need those recording features.

One important question though: MP3 playback.

Can anyone confirm or deny the existence of the MP3 playback bug/limitation/Bull S**T? This seems to be the deal-breaker for me. If it don't playback mp3's properly, then no go.

Anyone? any inside info?

-Adam