A Beautiful Revelation -- the Epic MZ-RH1 Arrives

Christopher

On the battery issue..

The battery used by my phone, the k750i from Sony Ericsson, is a Li-PON (I thought i read somewhere that it stands for lithium-ion polymers). I never heard of this type anywhere else, but it's great. Stand-by time: 400 hours and it's fully charged in about 1 hour or so. The phone's camera also poses no problem for the battery. I mean, it's not that after ten photo's the battery is dead.

Anyway, i wonder why it's not more widely used, for example in this new unit?

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Since Sony (well, maybe they HAVE changed-we'll see) seems to not care to provide a car or home deck, I still demand SP recording ability. I don't care to use this unit only as a "transfer medium" to upload music to a computer and burn a CD. MD succeeds on so many levels to just use it as a way to get old SP discs or new live recordings to a computer. I play MD's as my main source of music on a stereo like the old days. I have wanted to get into Hi-MD the same way I am into legacy MD in so much as using it as a tape recorder; i.e., miles away from a computer. So, without a deck, I've stuck to legacy SP. But, I want some of the advantages of Hi-MD (specifically PCM) ...

Totally agree with you UMWOOFWOOFF!

Reading that thread and realizing how much people are waiting for them, I think it's time for a himd deck and car unit petition.

Okay, I've read enough that now I have to ask my question. I love the look of this unit, and from what I hear, I think it will be the perfect unit for me to purchase as my first Hi-MD unit. I use MD as my main audio source when not at home (at home it's my PC), and I record 2-3 hours a week (which will probably go up). Should this be my first unit? Is there another unit that suits my need just as well? I do love the look of it, I love how the display is on the thin side, not on the face, I love everything about MD (and this unit).

Unless you *MUST* record and upload SP, pretty much any Hi-MD unit will do. You can record (but not upload) SP using the first gen units. They can also record and upload PCM/WAV, Hi-SP (256 Kbps, and we all think it sounds nice) and Hi-LP (66 kbps, which I will never use). Minus the SP upload, and enhanced Mac compatibility, An Nh900, Nhf800, Nh700 or the RH10 and RH910 will do.

I was looking at getting an import RH710 that has a mic input, would this be a better choice? I do have some recordings in SP (most are in LP2 because I have a limited supply of disks), and being able to direct upload them would be nice, but I don't mind the time it would take to record them realtime (to make CD's for others who aren't as technology-equipped as us MD users).

Again, it boils down to this: Do you need to upload those recordings via USB? If doing a realtime dub from MD to Hi-MD and then uploading that to your computer is enough, then pretty much any Hi-MD with an input will do.

Also, for those who complain about not having an external AA batter pack - if this unit can be powered via USB, is it possible to make a battery pack that plugs into the USB port?

IIRC, the unit takes power from the USB only to upload, or recharge the battery. But you can use that battery pack through the DC input with the right plug.

It's hard to see on most of the images but on the higher resolution ones of the displays you can see that the MZ-RH1 is using two small displays instead of a single wide display. I would guess that they did this for cost reasons, because even though MZ-RH10/MZ-M100 costs more than the MZ-RH910/MZ-M10, the OLED display is smaller than the LCD display. Still loads better than backlit LCD.

Note: Hi-speed USB 2.0 is the 480 mbits/sec while full-speed is the 12.0 mbits/sec. Don't use phrases like

"MZ-RH1 is capable of full USB2.0" when you don't really mean it. Besides, the press releases clearly say "Hi-Speed USB". However, the JP press release also lists the recording times for transferring from computer, and the numbers match the ones given for the MZ-RH10 in its manual. So, the MZ-RH1 may not be any faster than what we already have available to us.

This looks to be an upgraded MZ-NH1, since they list SP recording onto Regular MD. I wonder if it will also have time stamping. Hope at least it drives MZ-NH1 prices down.

Akiba-Gadgets

http://akiba-gadgets.com/2006/03/sony-mz-r...c-recorder.html

says: "This unit will use the NiMH gumstick battery, NH-14WM, and have a AA-cell addon pack for enhanced battery life when out and about."

Are they misinformed, or do they have more information?

I haven`t read that article but i can confirm you that there is no provisional for Additional AA battery pack..only Lith-Ion battery .

Edited by stuge

So now we are confirmed that it is really USB2 ;)

thanks for updating us .

That's still not quite USB 2.0 in terms of full speed. More to the level of fully saturated USB 1.1, but nowhere near full USB 2.0.

Although I am very pleased that this new unit will support SP uploads, I feel that SonicStage should be upgraded to support SP without conversion. My JB980 makes better recordings than the MZRH10 and I would be happy to put those recordings AS IS on a HI MD disc. The new unit could serve as a bridge for users who have decks and older portables and don't care for the decided drop in quality one gets with LP2. It seems like it would only be a modest effort to support SP in software, since some support would have to be there already in order to convert it. It would increase flexibility alot and is one of the things Sony should have done a long time ago. Now that they're making an honest effort to respond to their customers with SS 3.4 and this unit, I think full SP support would be a small effort that would garner even more interest in the RH1.

Marck has put his initial findings here:

http://www.mdcenter.nl/redirect.php?file=h...opic.php?t=2084

It appears the MP3 playback is much improved also.

Great photos. It retains recording settings!!! I'm in for sure. No doubt.

In these photos, the black finish looks kinda rough, not like a brushed aluminium. Is this because it's an early model (prototype?)?

It would be very interesting to find out if the RM-MC40ELK 3-line remote is fully supported by MZ-RH1.

Tested that: only one line works.

Great photos. It retains recording settings!!! I'm in for sure. No doubt.

In these photos, the black finish looks kinda rough, not like a brushed aluminium. Is this because it's an early model (prototype?)?

Surface isn't rough, it is the same finish as an MZ-N1 (probably it seems rough because my camera creates more than average noise in bad lighting-conditions).

Is there no wall charging port? I didnt see one.

charging is always done via the USB port (the AC-adapter has an USB port to put in the USB-cable). So the RH1 simply starts charging when 5 volt is applied to the USB port (via USB port or AC-adapter).

Surface isn't rough, it is the same finish as an MZ-N1 (probably it seems rough because my camera creates more than average noise in bad lighting-conditions).

charging is always done via the USB port (the AC-adapter has an USB port to put in the USB-cable). So the RH1 simply starts charging when 5 volt is applied to the USB port (via USB port or AC-adapter).

Does that mean you can buy/make a USB power supply and let it power/charge the battery :blink:

That might be the answer to all our moaning about the battery options in the field. ;)

Does that mean you can buy/make a USB power supply and let it power/charge the battery :blink:

That might be the answer to all our moaning about the battery options in the field. ;)

That is a definitive YES: any 5 volt supply would work if you connect a mini-USB connector. But please watch out with the polarity (I already accidentally destroyed a laptop by mis-connecting an USB port to home-made hardware: motherbord defect: costs 600 euro's).

Edited by MDfreak

No, my RH10 has both usb and 5v wall charger. I like the wall charger better because it will charge much faster if I cant leave it plugged into the computer all night long.

No, my RH10 has both usb and 5v wall charger. I like the wall charger better because it will charge much faster if I cant leave it plugged into the computer all night long.

The charging via USB with the RH1 is different. There is only one chargemodus that is used when connected either via USB or AC-adapter.... it is the FULL-charge modus. Not a stupid "almost" chargemode as used by the RH10 when connected via USB.

The charging via USB with the RH1 is different. There is only one chargemodus that is used when connected either via USB or AC-adapter.... it is the FULL-charge modus. Not a stupid "almost" chargemode as used by the RH10 when connected via USB.

Sweet, well that answers that. I thought the battery lasted longer when charging it off the wall rather then the computer but never really tested it since I almost always use the AA battery pack.

MDfreak,

How does the unit handle ergonomically?

Also, the record and eject buttons don't appear to be as undesirably obtrusive in your photos. This was a reservation I had from other photos. They appearted to stick out kindof akwardly...as if it wouldn't sit right in your pocket.

Not that you know this yet but has sony said anything about fixing, whatever is wrong with either SS or the MD itself, the random trashing of discs when uploading? Ive only had it happen to me 3 times in the last year but its kinda annoying...especially if its a concert that I really enjoyed and would want to listen to again.

Since the uploading speed has increased has the "save data" and "file system writing" times have decreased. Ive noticed that my RH10 disc flip time is considerably longer then my Sharp MT90. Its apples vs oranges when comparing the HIMD vs legacy MD but its just something Ive noticed.

Thanks again for the AWESOME pictures...I can't wait to buy this.

I'm sure you have plenty of things to test but here is one more. Can you reliably upload tracks that have been edited with a combine on the MD unit? That bug was what made me return my RH10.

This was not a bug with the units, rather one in SS. The last batch of upload tests I ran [with an RH10 and NH700] suggest that it has been fixed in SS 3.4.

MDfreak,

How does the unit handle ergonomically?

Also, the record and eject buttons don't appear to be as undesirably obtrusive in your photos. This was a reservation I had from other photos. They appearted to stick out kindof akwardly...as if it wouldn't sit right in your pocket.

With the display on it's side you would say it would handle strange but it turns out te be a very natural way of holding the MD. Also all buttons are easy to operate when holding it in your hands or when it sits on e.g. your desk. It even has 4 anti-slip pads on the underside to keep it from sliding all over the place when operating it when it lies somewhere recording. Also the buttons do not come out very much so the unit fits into a pocket as easy as lets say an MZ-NH1 does.

This was not a bug with the units, rather one in SS. The last batch of upload tests I ran [with an RH10 and NH700] suggest that it has been fixed in SS 3.4.

Thanks... one thing less I have to test B)

Not that you know this yet but has sony said anything about fixing, whatever is wrong with either SS or the MD itself, the random trashing of discs when uploading? Ive only had it happen to me 3 times in the last year but its kinda annoying...especially if its a concert that I really enjoyed and would want to listen to again.

Since the uploading speed has increased has the "save data" and "file system writing" times have decreased. Ive noticed that my RH10 disc flip time is considerably longer then my Sharp MT90. Its apples vs oranges when comparing the HIMD vs legacy MD but its just something Ive noticed.

Thanks again for the AWESOME pictures...I can't wait to buy this.

The speed tests I've done are including all data saves and so on. So the total time until the unit is ready for the next operation.

The speed tests I've done are including all data saves and so on. So the total time until the unit is ready for the next operation.

Im not sure if you got what I was asking. My question was in refrence to live recording...so Im recording a concert and the band walks off stage and I need to change discs. I hit stop and it does into the data save mode for a few seconds and then the writing file system mode (for what seems like forever). Id say that it takes a good 45-60 seconds from the time i hit stop to the time its done writing to the disc so I can open the unit and swap the discs.

If you have already tested this please link me to your findings.

It's rather weird because in Sony's website they have RM-MC40ELK put in the RH1's accessories page....

which also says much information can be viewed with it, and can display Japanese characters for three lines.

http://www.sony.jp/products/Consumer/himd-...ccessories.html

so does it really don't support it or because it's just a prototype??

Edited by gregtsai

It's rather weird because in Sony's website they have RM-MC40ELK put in the RH1's accessories page....

which also says much information can be viewed with it, and can display Japanese characters for three lines.

http://www.sony.jp/products/Consumer/himd-...ccessories.html

so does it really don't support it or because it's just a prototype??

Firmware-version says: 0.960 so probably not a lot will change. I only tested it so I don't know if this would change in the production-model.

It always seemed to me that it would have to be a Sonicstage bug since the RH 10 had no trouble playing the tracks correctly. Can anyone else confirm dex's results?

It always seemed to me that it would have to be a Sonicstage bug since the RH 10 had no trouble playing the tracks correctly. Can anyone else confirm dex's results?

I taped a show last night and ended up being 10 tracks...i combined them (in unit) and uploaded it with no problems. I have the latest version of SS.

Hmm... does the portable still allow you to play music while it's charging via USB or does it automatically go into "USB transfer" mode? I use my NH900 @ work and run it off AC power all day. Wonder if the RH1 can tell the difference between charging only via USB or USB plugged into a computer.