Need Help finding in the ear headphones

Rate this topic

FTS2090

I need help finding the right headphones for myself. I want the kind that go in your ear canal, like the sony's EX51LP or the e2C

The main thing im looking for a pair of headphones that block a lot of the ambient noise around ( i know Shure are awesome at this, but i dont have that much $$$ ). Im willing to sacrifice sound quality if they are good at clocking ambient sound. I only have $30 so hopefully you can help me find something that meets my requirements in this budget.

thank you

Oh yeah i forgot!!!

i hate asymetric headphones ( one side of the cord is longer than the other)

thanks

Koss makes a model called "The Plug" for under $20 but the ones I tried sounded horrible, like listening to music underwater. Supposedly they have been improved (look for purple ones).

The cheapest decent canalphone may be the Sennheiser CX300, around $50. But I've got Shures--E3 and E4, cheap from Ebay--and boy are they worth it.

Edited by A440

I've got Shures--E3 and E4, cheap from Ebay--and boy are they worth it.

Don't want to hijack this thread, but {guess I'll do it anyway B) } how does the E4 compare with the E3? I have the E3 and like them a lot (got 'em from Amazon for about $115) but wish they had better bass response. I've eq'd my MD the best I can, but they're still a little thin at the low end.

how does the E4 compare with the E3?

I was extremely happy with my E3 until I got the E4, and I'm still keeping my E3 for knockaround use.

Mostly, the E4 have a far more spacious sound. When I play the E3 back to back with the E4, the E3s now sound like the vocals are pressed up against your ear--certainly not the two-dimensional soundstage of cheap little earbuds, but still less open than the E4. The E4 also have more definition on transients like cymbals. They just sound a lot more natural in general.

Incidentally, I just had a chance to try Ultimate Ears SuperFi Pro 5s and I thought they were inferior even to the E3--very exaggerated midrange.

I think weak bass is a problem with all in-ear monitors--how big is that woofer, anyway? Bass is even thinner with the much touted Etymotic 4P. But when I boost the bass up one notch with either of the Shures, they sound well-balanced to me. There's not significantly more bass in the E4.

The tips make a huge difference. I tried all of them, and absolutely the only one that wasn't tinny for me was the largest gray flexis.

If you try some of the advertisers on http://www.head-fi.org and email them you can get the E4 for about $180 shipped, not the $299 list. I don't know if they're worth twice as much as the E3s, but they are definitely a step up.

I checked amazon for the EX-51 LP; since i lost my ebay bid, anyways... a user in amazon posted pictures and coments about the ex51lp , how after 3 months of use the cord stripped... so i decided against them.. is it pretty comon of all of sony's in the ear headphones to break like that?

the panasonic RP-JE50's sound good and can be found on ebay for $25... but b aware, they do come with the asymetric cord

I have to say I bought these hoping for great results but now, after 35 hours or so of burn-in they still sound absolutely hideous. They block out a bit of sound so might be useful for public transport but other than that I'm thoroughly disappointed with these.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say I bought these hoping for great results but now, after 35 hours or so of burn-in they still sound absolutely hideous. They block out a bit of sound so might be useful for public transport but other than that I'm thoroughly disappointed with these.

for 30 bucks you can't get a lot of good phones, i say either raise your budget or sacrifice a bit on the isolation. E2c's is on't good for isolation, it is sonically a lot worst than the e3c and can't even compare to the md33 in terms of sound.

If you can raise your budget TO $100 FOR GOOD phones

Um, I wouldn't say that. There are plenty of "good" in-earphones that cost much less than $100. I'd go with what was already suggested by others in this thread: Panasonic JE50 or Senn CX300.

Btw, paying a lot for 'phones doesn't mean you get the best. Grado SR60 only cost $69 and they are one of the best starter headphones out there according to Hi-Fi, compared to say, Bose Triports, which are double that cost. ;) Eh, Stuge? (lol)

Bose Triports, which are double that cost. ;) Eh, Stuge? (lol)

Hey ,why your are after my Bose Triport ..If you don`t like tham it`s ok ..but everybody has it`s opinion

now to you as well :punish: LOL

That doens`t neam that he/she has to buy $100 phones only lol ..he/she can ablso buy good phones for $70 as well.

Edited by stuge

My wife got me some JVC HX55, they are OK, but I just ordered some sennheiser MX400 and also something called "Slic Sound", it goes on the end of the earbud and makes them into a "in the ear" headphone. I read reviews of people that have Senn MX400 and these "slic sound" thingy and they say is awesome, so im giving them a try.

After just ordering and doing even more research on the Sennheiser CX300s it seems that they are just rebranded Sharp MD33 and are the same as the Creative EP630s. So if I were you I wouldn't make the same mistake I did and I would buy the Creatives as they are only £20 from Amazon.co.uk

I came to this conclusion after reading 4 or 5 articles. If anyone knows differently please let me know and you will maybe make me feel better.

Edit: After reading some more, people seem to be undecided whether these earphones have the same drivers as the EP630/MD33 (sennheiser claim that they don't), but who knows!

Edited by cthulu

The Senn headphones are really good..... as far as the "slic sound" things.... they are not the most comfortable things in the world, also they do not block as much outside noise , but they DO make sound a lot better when used on earbud style headphones (not in the the ear style)

overall, do not waste money buying the slic sound. Im still on my quest for the set of heaphones that blocks the most noise..... must keep saving for the E2Cs

I finally got my CX300s and I have to say I am most impressed for the money I spent on them.

I would say that the sound quality is good/excellent and the isolation is brilliant, even at low volumes on my NH900 I can't hear any external noises. They are a little bassy but not muddy and the mid range and treble are good as well. They are comfy to wear, just don't push them in too far!, :). I have heard complaints about the thin wires, but in my experience these wires are thick enough and because they are quite rubbery they take alot of punishment.

The CX300s have saved my NH900, everything sounds better!