How to avoid distortion?

Rate this topic

bayoubilly

i have a mz-rh10 and SP-TFB-2HT mic (that go in the ears). i've recorded a few in-store performances (not as loud as real concerts) with the default gain control on and had no distortion, except for really loud drum hits sometimes, and it adjusts itself after that so its fine. trying to record a concert with the default gain control distorts all over the place, so i manually adjust the gain so the levels light up around the middle but it still distorts, but not as much. and the bass is really loud. help, thanks.

Edited by bayoubilly

okay. i'll go to radioshack to see if they have any. if they don't is there anywhere else i can get one of these?

tips on how to use this and setting suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

i've been reading a lot of stuff here and it's rediculous how helpful and cool this place is. super thanks!

Depends on your mics and how loud the music is.

I use it with the little volume knob turned all the way UP and the manual recording level on the MD unit set to between 17/30 and 20/30. You may have different results with your mics.

It is always better to use Manual level than automatic. To set it, press REC and PAUSE, and you'll see a blinking display. Then: MENU/REC SET/RECORD VOLUME/Manual....and then you will see a number like 13/30, which you can raise or lower with the jog wheel or pointing stick. You need to do this each time you start recording (or after every time you press STOP)--an annoyance that the RH1 is finally supposed to eliminate.

Also, if you are recording something with bass that makes your ears hurt, then the mics themselves will overload. To prevent that you need to use a battery module instead, like this one:

http://www.microphonemadness.com/products/mmcbmminminc.htm

and record through line-in. But Mic--attenuator--Mic-in works fine for a lot of situations.

Edited by A440

I know this doesn't help anyone else, but I'm somewhat confused by the fact that everyone wants battery modules or attenuators to deal with distortion caused by high SPLs hitting their mics.

I have SP-TFB-2 microphone. The only sources I've ever experienced audible distortion with while recording were:

* Thunder from a lightning strike within 500m of me

* Jet engines within 20m

* Jet engines in afterburn flying directly overhead at an altitutde of perhaps 200m

* Artillery [Howitzer] firing at approx. 200m distance

On the other hand, I've recorded grossly overpowered punk/metal shows in small venues, as well as similar music in tiny [acoustically] untreated spaces when it's necessary to wear earplugs [and even then it hurts] .. with no unbias/overSPL distortion whatsoever.

Am I just lucky or something?

A preamp will amplify the music. Your music is loud enough without it.

The Juice Box will do your job, but it's about as big as your MD unit. For the same price, I get great results with this Microphone Madness module, which still puts out 9V, from three little lithium 3V batteries, but it's only 2.1" x 1.3" x .5" (like a car-alarm remote).

http://www.microphonemadness.com/products/mmcbmminminc.htm

Bass won't be a problem through Line-In. The preamp behind Mic-In is what's sensitive to bass--you're bypassing it with Line-In.

Bass roll-off takes away some of your recorded music. You can't get it back because it was never recorded.

Even at a bassy show, it's better to get a high-fidelity recording and then, if you have to, limit the bass with EQ when you play back the recording.