Is Sony Missing a Beat By Not Offering Hi-MD Options?

Christopher

Should Sony Make..  

1. 1. Should Sony Make a Hi-MD Car Unit?

• Yes, and I would buy it.
    • Yes, but I wouldn't buy it.
    • No.
  2. 2. Should Sony Make a Pro Hi-MD Deck?

• Yes, and I would buy it.
    • Yes, but I wouldn't buy it.
    • No.

The community forum has had numerous topics and posts asking of Sony to develop a Hi-MD car unit or professional deck. Budgeting aside, the potential for either of these offerings makes more sense to the userbase than a small bookshelf offering such as the LAM-X1. Now that Sony is curbing the direction of Hi-MD to a more professional realm, we have requested our userbase to answer a few brief questions in a poll to determine how popular this notion truly is. Please participate..+++

To vote, you will have to register with the forum. The software will not allow me to turn on guest posting, but registering only takes under a minute and is free (use the pink bar at the top of the site).

Thanks! :good: Please feel free to speak your mind about this matter.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would buy it! But the poll won't let my vote!

Edit:

Sorry I didn't check anything in the first optition (car unit).

But really how many people would be able to afford the above 2 and a hi-md walkman!

Its is an reasonably expensive format (compared to CD)

You could get a car unit for you'r new car, kurisu. lol

Edited by danielbb90

I'd get a home deck all right. That can both record, upload and download. With SP-upload ability. Oh yeah. Professionals would buy it. 350, 400 dollars intro price. Though I'd settle for 250. ^_^

Because a Y-Cable between an NH900 and a Marantz receiver looks just plain tacky.

Not really sure about the car. This would be a playback unit only of course. Which could make it low-price. It sure would beat having to fiddle with your unit while in the traffic, yeah.

Edited by Syrius

Car unit....may be a HI-MD USB controler (and play via USB also), but will realy convinient to have a HI-MD Car Radio?, of course you can use your HI-MD, but that limits you to use only HI-MD, when with a CD player you can play CD (ofcourse) and when it´s available MP3 and ATRAC3+, so I realy don´t think it´s a very comercial idea.

I never try it ¡, because I don´nt have any unit that plays an ATRA3+ CD, but I think it´s gapless and sound like the HI-MD, with a few memory difference. I know some will say "but with the MD you can change the music of your disk" true, but how many people re-record a disk?.

A radio car with USB controler for SONY units, so you can see the information on the screen, and control it , that I will try to get one.

I really would like a car unit. I'm not fond of plugging in an mp3 player every time I get in the car via tape deck or whatever other connection. Hi-MD would allow me to have a lot more music in my car all the time with those 1gb discs, and they'd be less prone to scratching than mp3 cds or audio cds. I just need ways to enjoy the quality of the highest bit-rate atrac3plus :D (other than the headphone out of a portable)

As long as "pro" means "Nice full featured unit" (digital in/out, connectivity to PC, etc-- not a majorly neutered unit) and NOT "$1000 for a $250 unit with a sticker that says pro" I'd definitely be in for a deck up to around $400.

Of course, I have a MD deck and now with the RH1's ability to upload SP recordings, I might be a bit *less* tempted to buy a HiMD deck. (although I probably would to get the PCM recording and 1GB capacity)

Yes, I need Hi-MD deck for quality playing of Hi-MD records on my home stereo.

And I want more quality of sound in portable units too.

Because new Hi-MD products sounds not very good (and I must to use my old Sharp 702 if I need quality because I have earache from my RH10 sometimes (very sensetive ears))

Edited by Ingvar13

I've been waiting for a HiMD deck since the new format first came out! I do a lot of timer recordings of radio shows on my 3 decks and edit them later using the powerful edit features. I love the sound quality of the HiMD compared to MDLP which I use 90% of the time. I'd probably buy at least two HiMD decks, and get rid of two of the MDLP decks.

I'd even like it if Sony could retro-fit my current MDLP decks with HiMD.

yeah; i voted; for the first time im my life my vote couted; IMO ( I did vote for Bush though)!

now if Sony would read and Heed;; Feed upon the Weed;; oops; deed.

Ok sony; so you WON't put out a Hi-MD Deck; F**k U sony; i am spending my money on NON_SONY video products and non-Sony bling blings. the Fat Lady, Sony sings and you won't make the Blings.

i have shifted my "Wants and Needs" sony, to OTHER things; happy as a pee-cock (sp) *the bird*; in sin; (I Win)!

Edited by rayzray

a Hi-MD deck is an absolute must.

For doing anything professional, a deck would be best, and one with digital input and output. I would buy two if they can sell one for less than $300. It would cost about $450-600 from audiocubes and Onkyo shelf system X-B8 sells for $1K. No way!

It's a shame we can not get a U.S. based Hi-MD deck.

A car system not too worried about.

I would like to have a Hi-MD car unit. Currently I listen to music from my MZ-NH1 in the car by using the Sony CPA-9C cassette adapter, which works quite well (line out from the MZ-NH1) but is awkward to set up and disconnect each time I get in/out of the car.

I just want to fit a front panel and press play - rather than juggling with a front panel, adapter and MZ-NH1 then connecting them all together.

Noise levels inside cars are gradually decreasing with each new generation of models, so high-quality music playback in cars should be increasingly important.

My favourite car disc is the BBC Radio 4 production of The Lord of the Rings - 13 CDs and 12 hours 20 mins in total. But it fits on one 80 min disc at ATRAC3plus 48kbps (it is mainly speech, and sounds OK in my noisy old car!)

The death of this format will be realized if Sony doesn't at LEAST release SOME kind of semi-pro deck. Otherwise, Hi-MD will ONLY be regulated as a transition medium to get recordings from your portable recorder to the computer, only to be put on ANOTHER format (probably CD) for ACTUAL USE. This format can NOT survive if its limited such a way. MD was designed to be LISTENED TO as well. I HATE burning CD's...they NEVER last, they ALWAYS end up skipping/chirping, the edit points are NEVER exact, etc.; What the hell is the point in recording something on a great MD recorder only to upload it to a computer, edit it on a computer, and burn a CD? I think it is DEGRADING to slap MD in the face like that. I WANT TO BE ABLE TO RECORD HI-MD'S AND THUS PLAY THE DISCS I'VE RECORDED ON MY DAMN STEREO WITHOUT A F****N' COMPUTER AROUND ME! I use MD for everything, ESPECIALLY playing the discs back! 99% of what I listen to is from MD. To disgrace this format (with its wonderful native editing capabilities) by regulating it to essentially a faceless digital initial recording device to transfer music to a damn computer unused to its full potential pisses me the hell off!

Also, what the hell is the point of having removable media if YOU CAN'T REMOVE THE MEDIA AND PLAY IT ON OTHER EQUIPMENT? There is NO logic in this! This scenario DOES pose the argument that a flash or hard-disc recorder IS more beneficial if Hi-MD recorders are ONLY used to get recordings to a computer! Why would you have to remove the media? THERE AREN'T ANY OTHER DECKS/BOOKSHELVES/CAR STEREOS TO PLAY THEM IN! You're not going to "use" MD to actually listen to your final copy if its regulated to "just" the inital sound recorder only to be bastardized by a computer and CD'R's. If this is ALL most Hi-MD users want out of Hi-MD then such a rewarding and all-encompassing perfect format should not survive if it cannot blossom to its potential.

Basically, it makes absolutely NO SENSE to only offer a removable media portable recorder IF YOU CANNOT PLAY THE REMOVABLE MEDIA ANYWHERE ELSE. THIS IS ABSURDITY AT ITS UTMOST IGNORANT.

Also, if Sony "thinks" Hi-MD will go semi-pro, without ANY kind of deck, it will NOT succeed. Absolute bottom line.

Sony, build ANY deck. Otherwise, MD WILL die. Sadly.

Well, I don't know if a handful of users on an internet forum really represent enough demand to offset the costs of production, development, etc.

As far as a car deck goes, I'd love one, but then that might necessitate a more affordable recording solution to get music onto the discs for people who don't already own a previous generation unit. Sure you could build recording into the car deck, but how many people want to sit in their car to copy music? For that reason, a car deck seems less likely to me, as Sony is now saying that Hi-MD is a medium for recording and not promoting it so much as a music playback solution (ie one new unit, the RH1-- not exactly cheap).

However, a deck I can see being more usable as it would playback and record.

Edited by Rumz

I would probably buy a new deck to replace my JB920, but then again, I might just plug my PC into my stereo. (Actually, I have that all connected already.) The deck is certainly more convenient though, power, insert disc, hit play. With the PC I have to fuss around more before the sound starts playing.

For the car, I have a JVC deck with a single slot for both CDs and MDs, and a 12-disc CD changer. I would only buy a new deck if it offered HiMD without losing any other features that I already have. The single slot/single-DIN form factor is most important, because I don't have space for a double-DIN unit or two separate single-DIN units for CD and MDs. If they can't provide that, then I'll just keep plugging my NH1 into the JVC's Aux input. The other two must-have features are full CD-Text display for CDs (or more plainly, full text display for all inputs, CD, MD, radio, changer), and speed-sensitive volume control. And of course, JVC makes the world's smallest 12-disc changers, the new changer would have to fit where my current one fits.

I think Sony needs to show the people that they haven't abandoned the MD buying public. I haven't seen a new home unit in years. I'm about due for an upgrade on my sound system. A new MD deck would be nice. If it was a HI-MD deck then I would get the portable I've been contemplating to buy. Then the car unit. My Kenwood has been very good to me over the last 6 years. I'm looking to buy a new car by next January...It would be nice to have a new MD deck to put into. I don't care what type as long as it's new...COME ON SONY!!!...your "MD" public is waiting!!!!

The Pro-deck sounds nice.. but id like to see a unit that has a cradle with line out.

you walk home listening to your favorite hi-md disc go inside hit the switch to your.. stereo/amp with your minidisc cradle attached via aux-line in, while your unit is still playing you just insert it into the cradle and it automaticly switches and plays 'seemlessy' through your cradle and out your home system speakers.

i use my unit for about half of my home listening because the rest of the time i just cant be bothered un-plugging my headphones looking around for my line in cord & plugging it in.

also id like to be able to change discs without hafting to remove the unit from the cradle.

while im still making wishes.. maybe a wireless receiver on the cradle or unit and a compatible remote... how great would that be.

I would buy a deck also.

In my car i got a panasonic cq-dmr 993d headunit that is only available in japan. It can be feeded with DVD, MP3-CDs and MDLP2. I dont think i would by a sony headunit because i had several sony headunits in my car and i was allways disappointed by the sound quality. I would appreciate a Sony headunit because maybe after a certain time panasonic would offer a hi-md unit too...

I'd definitely buy a HI-MD deck (must have optical out like jb980).

A Car unit was at one time on my list of priorities however I've got a unit that plays MDLP (Kenwood) and if I want Hi-MD I use the "adapter cable" which plugs into a Hi-MD unit sitting in the glove compartment. A Hi-MD disk recorded at 256 / 352 holds around 7 hours of music which is MORE than enough for a typical drive (Even on the UK's notorious M25 which is the Worlds Biggest Car Park at around 90 miles long with 4 hours free parking on it every day).

For people with Kenwood radios I did post on this forum where to get the special cable

Here's a link to where you can get the cable

http://www.justkenwood.co.uk/stock01/auxin.asp

So Sony go for a Hi-MD deck. A radio is not so important any more BUT DO HAVE AUX IN on the front panel then people can plug in whatever players they like. A much better solution than the more expensive "Ipod Connection" systems.

Such a simple thing to do and really wanted by a lot of people but it seems only the real cheap and nasty radios have this feature --amazing isn't it.

As for CD's I really can't be bothered carrying around CD's and who wants those stupid changes in the boot of your car.

For playing in a car CD's are really "Dinosaur Technology" in spite of the fact nearly every car radio these days has a CD head. In a car you don't need studio quality sound. Even LP2 can sound quite decent in a car (provided the original recording was done properly and not transcoded from a lossy MP3 etc).

Cheers

-K

Edited by 1kyle

I'd definitely buy a deck, I'd don't need (I doubt if I could afford) top end pro equipment. I just want a decent quality machine that I can plug my discs into without faffing around with leads all the time, I can operate from a remote without getting up and down to hit tiny buttons, something I can record music and radio in real time. As somebody else has made the point, what's the point of removable media if you can only use it in one piece of equipment. I have been starting to think about one of the Onkoyo units but I don't want to get one if there is any chance that Sony will bring one out in the UK.

I would like a car deck but I'd really struggle to justify the cost, it's not an area I've spent money on really but I think they should make one.

Ok, I'm off to vote!

+1 any Hi-MD deck. This should have been developed and released prior to the portables! :wacko:

Optical In / Out is a must, wouldn't mind DigiCoax either. //

Too bad. The HD MD idea was swept away by poor market response and MD seems to be the number one division to be cut under Sony's new policy. Poor Sony they still do not know how serious the mistake was not to offer high capacity media, reliable, bug-free and royal free software. They do not even look into the possibility an optical disc like MD can be as large as 10Gg, if blue ray laser is to be used and they release and combine the stupid separation of MD audio and MD data

Too bad. The HD MD idea was swept away by poor market response and MD seems to be the number one division to be cut under Sony's new policy. Poor Sony they still do not know how serious the mistake was not to offer high capacity media, reliable, bug-free and royal free software. They do not even look into the possibility an optical disc like MD can be as large as 10Gg, if blue ray laser is to be used and they release and combine the stupid separation of MD audio and MD data

Then what would have been the cost of those 10gb Disc ??

about $100 disc each many people then nver buy MD player ..

Don`t think if one HiMd(1gb) DISC costs $7(retail ) then it would also cost $70 per disc ..It will cost more than you except

2gb Idea would have been better .What do you think guys ..

Edited by stuge

I dont think a car unit has to be made. But...a possible option is:

A car unit with usb in, so that the normal radio controls can control the player.

A home deck is needed for sure. And i dont know abot this pro, semi-pro stuff. any home deck should have all the features to make it viable for a pro. like:

digital ins and outs as well as the usb and analog connections

an input for keyboard to name tracks without computer or fumbling with little buttons.

they might as well just throw a cd player on it as well so we can copy cd's to HIMD's easy.

i mean, if things are gonna be new and improved they should have all of the features that all the previous toys had, plus the new features.

Car deck? Sure, why not. Would I buy? Nope. And wasn't there news about Sony pulling out of some of their car audio stuff. I seem to recall their was in one of their investor relations thingies. I could be going senile, tho.

Full pro deck? I'd take a cheapish mainstream one anyday. Generally, inner geek says yes to a deck, but 'average joe' side says:

1GB discs loaded one at a time?

Seems... antiquated. It's 2006. Give me more, maaaan. Average Joe expects more. Especially at home, where longer listening sessions are probably more common. We can do better than one-disc capacity.

Dual slots. Excellent recording flexibility. The ability to simply copy MD to MD, and chop-n-change, make compliations from MD to MD, like double cassette decks. That should be the focus of a deck. 1GB of playback is ok, but certainly can be beaten by lots of things nowadays. So the focus should be on extremely flexible recording. Load your friend's MD, copy it. Load your own recording and back it up. The ability to play 2 MDs back to back or mixed can still be there. Forget about DRM comletely. Use the format as average Joe expects a recording format to work. Much like CD-R on the PC, except with far more flexibility (as we know).

I'm not a fan of overpriced so-called audiophile decks. Make something COOL that uses the format the way it was intended for the Joe User market, and market it at the masses. Of course we all know it's too late :)

Hi. Hello fromthe UK. I am a late convert to minidisc (but an old hi fi nut) and Hi MD was the thing that converted me. At last a serious recording medium that is convenient, robust (no tape wobbles etc.). A serious deck for the hi fi community would be a great selling point and open up new markets for Sony. Best of luck in persuading Sony, from Mike

I voted for both options, but actually the car unit is a little less tempting, because of the facts many people mentioned already. Of course, a combined Hi-MD & MP3-CD head unit (just like the MD-CD-combi's JVC used to build for a while), maybe even with recording capability (like the old "800REC") would beat everything. But that wouldn't be affordable again. So a "Sony-Changer-Bus to Walkman-Headphone-Remote-Connector"-adapter does the job for using Hi-MDs in the car equally well. I think such an adapter is already available. Does anyone know the product name and if it works with Hi-MD walkmen?

But the deck is a must. I have the JB980 since 2003 and it is GREAT unit, both functionally and the design. I would definitely by a new one in that line with (multiple) SPDIF in+out, USB for Std- & Hi-MD up- and downloading and the awesome editing features (e.g. post-recording "Scale Factor" editing, A-B erase with instant result playback and so on). But it shouldn't be too high priced (I got my JB980 for 330 Euros in a webshop, which was OK). The quality of the QS-series was good enough for me, they should make an extra ES-unit for the "high-end audiophiles" - these guys might want to spent 500+ on a deck.