Hi. I am a new to MD recording person...

Rate this topic

isfahani

So I have this MZ-M10 and tonight was my first attempt at recording off the board into the line in. When I got home and went to transfer the concert onto HD i was faced with a few hundred 'tracks'. Eveidently I forgot to turn something off... "ooops"

Now, is there a way to erase all but the 1 at the beginning of the group, fix this in SS or am I stuck doing this by hand?

Thanks.

So I have this MZ-M10 and tonight was my first attempt at recording off the board into the line in. When I got home and went to transfer the concert onto HD i was faced with a few hundred 'tracks'. Eveidently I forgot to turn something off... "ooops"

Now, is there a way to erase all but the 1 at the beginning of the group, fix this in SS or am I stuck doing this by hand?

Auto trackmarking is on by default when using the line-in, and can't be turned off. There is no option for it [in current and past models].

You have three options:

1 - combine the tracks on the unit and upload again [read your manual]

2 - combine the tracks with SonicStage [try "Help" in SS], or

3 - don't bother combining them at all, drop them all into your editing app, do your editing, and render the results to files/tracks as you wish when you're done.

In any case, keep the copy you've already uploaded [export it to WAV as is] so you have a backup.. then try one of the methods available. Combining on the recorder itself isn't that difficult, nor is combining with SS. SS tends to look as though it's locked up wehn doing long combines with lots of tracks though, so if you choose that method please do be patient and let it do its thing.

Hooo boy. What a pain...

I neglected to mention that I was recording Indian Classical Music, where there are lots of opportunities for track marks over an hour and a half long Raga.

Which adds up to 75 tracks worth in group #1. I guess I am having the first taste of love-hate relationship with this thing! Not having an option to turn this off, what WERE they thinking?

I will try the SS method, it sounds less physically repetitive than what I ended up doing, which was option #1....

Thanks very much for the info.

Just to second Dex's advice: upload all of the gazillion tracks with SonicStage first just to make sure you have a backup copy. Convert them to .wav (which will take a lot of space) and save the .wavs somewhere outside SonicStage--to a separate folder, or a CD, or an outboard drive.

[You know the story on backups: if you make one, you'll never need it, and if you don't....]

Then delete the uploaded tracks from My Library (uncheck Delete These Tracks From My Computer, just in case) and upload again from the disc. Then you can use SonicStage's Combine function. Do 10 or so at a time so it doesn't hang up.

Make sure when you use the Combine function in SonicStage that you combine the tracks from top to bottom--that is, in the order they were recorded. I can tell you from experience that if you highlight them in the reverse direction they'll be combined in the order you highlighted them, and no fun to pull apart.

BTW, not having used MediaJoin for a while, I've just run it through a quick test and verified that combining tracks with it (with no format conversion) gives an identical result, bit for bit, as combining the tracks in Adobe Audition 2.0 audio editor.

Edited by ozpeter

Hi there

maybe it's my MZ-NH700 that's faulty, but when I record from line-in (analog) I can record one track, no problem.

I've been recording several LPs and reel tapes, and then I've uploaded them with SS with no problem at all...

??? <_< I got a little confused...

maybe it's my MZ-NH700 that's faulty, but when I record from line-in (analog) I can record one track, no problem.

I've been recording several LPs and reel tapes, and then I've uploaded them with SS with no problem at all...

Auto trackmarking depends on levels falling below a certain threshold [lower than -30dBfs] for 2 seconds or longer. If the material you're recording doesn't do so, you don't get trackmarks.

Live recordings can end up with -many- seemingly extraneous trackmarks during breaks between songs, conversation with the crowd, and during more dynamic passages where levels fall below that threshold long enough.

I've [also] made recordings from radio, TV, &c. that were several hours in length without ever having a single trackmark placed automatically. On the other hand, I've made live recordings "off the board" that were so dynamic [with long silent periods between songs] that hundreds of trackmarks end up getting placed.

Oh! Now I get it, sorry! I never tried recording live...but I'll remember your advice when I'll make some.

About merging tracks: is it true that merged tracks on MD (removing the track marks) give bad results during uploading? :huh:

Oh! Now I get it, sorry! I never tried recording live...but I'll remember your advice when I'll make some.

About merging tracks: is it true that merged tracks on MD (removing the track marks) give bad results during uploading? :huh:

This appears to have been fixed with SS 3.4. If you really want to find out if it works, record something, break it up into tracks, recombine some of them, then upload. It'll take you 5 minutes and you'll know for yourself.

The only problems I've experienced while editing/combining tracks were on the HiMD unit itself, which trashed the disc after I trackmarked a small segment, deleted that small track, and then combined the tracks that were before and after it... Keep in mind this had nothing to do with SonicStage.

Ended with cannot record or play error on my RH10