Bad audio after MP3s transferred from NH1 to Hi-LP and MDLP (Net MD)

Rate this topic

Jigglejix

Hi,

I'm a newb in these Forums so bear with me.

I have a MZ-NH1 and a MZE-10. I'm using the NH1 to burn MDs (usually in MDLP4) and Hi-MDs in Hi-LP format.

Now the problem. When i record MP3s from my computer to the MD or Hi-MD via SonicStage (i.e. convert and transfer the files from the library), the songs turn out distorted (weird changing teardrops sound) and varying in speed. However, when burning directly from CD to MD or Hi-MD using MD Simple Burner, the sound is fine. This sucks big time, because I've just burnt 30+ albums (either from MP3 or CD form) onto MDs and Hi-MDs so all the fine tracks are mixed with the distorted ones. Note that the distortion on MD occurs regardless of whether the MD is being played back on the E10 or NH1. Hi-MDs have distortion when played through the NH1. I am completely sh*ted.

I'm using SonicStage version 2.3.00.11020 and MD Simple Burner version 2.0.04.18080. The surface i am recording on is not subject to much shock.

Has anyone ever encountered this problem before???

Just thinking logically it is likely to be either

--> an error in reading/conversion/transfer in SonicStage (maybe its time to update the program)

--> a problem with the USB cable

--> an incompatibility issue with NetMD with the E10 and MD595 (micro)...that only solves half the problem...

--> I am at the center of my very own God-controlled truman show...except its a comedy and screwing up my 10 MD/Hi-MDs of recordings at 5am provides for a much homourous anecdote for God when he's bantering with his poker buddies.

*sigh. why?

J.

Hi,

I'm a newb in these Forums so bear with me.

I have a MZ-NH1 and a MZE-10. I'm using the NH1 to burn MDs (usually in MDLP4) and Hi-MDs in Hi-LP format.

Now the problem. When i record MP3s from my computer to the MD or Hi-MD via SonicStage (i.e. convert and transfer the files from the library), the songs turn out distorted (weird changing teardrops sound) and varying in speed. However, when burning directly from CD to MD or Hi-MD using MD Simple Burner, the sound is fine. This sucks big time, because I've just burnt 30+ albums (either from MP3 or CD form) onto MDs and Hi-MDs so all the fine tracks are mixed with the distorted ones. Note that the distortion on MD occurs regardless of whether the MD is being played back on the E10 or NH1. Hi-MDs have distortion when played through the NH1. I am completely sh*ted.

I'm using SonicStage version 2.3.00.11020 and MD Simple Burner version 2.0.04.18080. The surface i am recording on is not subject to much shock.

Has anyone ever encountered this problem before???

Just thinking logically it is likely to be either

--> an error in reading/conversion/transfer in SonicStage (maybe its time to update the program)

--> a problem with the USB cable

--> an incompatibility issue with NetMD with the E10 and MD595 (micro)...that only solves half the problem...

--> I am at the center of my very own God-controlled truman show...except its a comedy and screwing up my 10 MD/Hi-MDs of recordings at 5am provides for a much homourous anecdote for God when he's bantering with his poker buddies.

*sigh. why?

J.

Welcome to the forums! First of all do a clean install of SS 3.4 available in the download section fo this forum. Search how to do the clean install in the software section of the forum. After the upgrade to SonicStage 3.4 post your results in here.

* Here's the link for the clean install instructions: http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=8071 *

Edited by sebastianbf

Usually it happens with low bitrate mp3 converted at low bitrate ATRAC...

Yeah... Converted 96 kbps 48 kHz MP3 movies into Hi-LP and the sound (speech!) of some actors is totally unrecognizable. I sometimes could confuse Morgan Freeman with Tim Robbins lol

However it was pretty cool to have TWO feature films on a single 80 min MD with the half the MD still free :)

When you transfer CD to MD with Simple Burner, you are doing one conversion from a high-quality source.

When you transfer mp3s, you are starting with a lower-fidelity compressed file. Then it is getting compressed again--and LP4 compression is very lossy itself.

Definitely update to 3.4 as suggested above. But also take a look at your initial mp3s. If they are 48 or 96 kbps, conversion to anything Sonyc calls LP (Hi-LP, LP2, LP4) is going to make them sound pretty bad no matter what.