Just a thought

Rate this topic

steve_s

Hi,

I've never posted before, but I have been an avid reader of this forum for ages. I've also been a user of mini discs since they became available to us here in New Zealand. I have bought heaps of them including ones for my 3 kids and the wife.

I just wanted to say that although I do appreciate that Sony is now directing their attention to the pro recording market, I suspect that there still exists a large number of people like myself that use them primarily for listening to music recorder from their CD collections.

Personally I find them brilliant to listen to, I really don't have the hearing of a true audiophile, but believe me I can tell the difference in quality in sound produced by average hardware and software and that of my mini discs.

I've read a lot of people saying that for listening to downloaded CD's HD players are preferable, but I disagree with that.

I have about 500 cd's and more cassettes and Vinyl than I care to mention, With a HD player I would spend months loading them onto a device, and then we are talking a top of the range ipod (or 2).

When the thing is loaded the choice actually becomes too great - I have had a Creative Nomad, so I am talking from experience.

For me using a mini disc and particularly the Hi-MD models has re-aquainted me with my music collection. I pick and choose what I want to download and then I can choose which discs I want to carry around with me.

To me its all about personal choice and my choice is the mini disc!

I can't wait until the RH1 is available - even if it is aimed at the pro market - I'm a professional lover of music :D

Hi,

I've never posted before, but I have been an avid reader of this forum for ages. I've also been a user of mini discs since they became available to us here in New Zealand. I have bought heaps of them including ones for my 3 kids and the wife.

I just wanted to say that although I do appreciate that Sony is now directing their attention to the pro recording market, I suspect that there still exists a large number of people like myself that use them primarily for listening to music recorder from their CD collections.

Personally I find them brilliant to listen to, I really don't have the hearing of a true audiophile, but believe me I can tell the difference in quality in sound produced by average hardware and software and that of my mini discs.

I've read a lot of people saying that for listening to downloaded CD's HD players are preferable, but I disagree with that.

I have about 500 cd's and more cassettes and Vinyl than I care to mention, With a HD player I would spend months loading them onto a device, and then we are talking a top of the range ipod (or 2).

When the thing is loaded the choice actually becomes too great - I have had a Creative Nomad, so I am talking from experience.

For me using a mini disc and particularly the Hi-MD models has re-aquainted me with my music collection. I pick and choose what I want to download and then I can choose which discs I want to carry around with me.

To me its all about personal choice and my choice is the mini disc!

I can't wait until the RH1 is available - even if it is aimed at the pro market - I'm a professional lover of music :D

I totally agree.

I have never used my MD equipment for recording, apart from my R900 that I used for a while (non NetMD so recording the only way).

My current audio equipment:

Creative Nomad (v1)

Archos AV700

and the list of MD in my sig.

The AV700 is the newest but the audio quality is just not as good as the NH1's, I now use it for video playback only as it kills a few hours on long journeys.

I have a large collection of CD's recorded into SS that I just copy onto disc as the mood takes me, there is little choice to be made when out and its just throw the disc in the player and click play. Trying to do the same with the AV700 I found myself spending more time flicking through the track listings rather than listening to music. The MD equipment is small and light enough to just throw in my pocket and walk with, tried that with the AV700 but it just wont go in my pocket.

MD is ideal in my case and to be honest the only thing I may change it for is a really small HD based player but it must have better sound quality than the MD equipment, its still not happened yet.

Edited by Qwakrz

I haven't used my MD units for field recording yet, but it sure is nice to have the option. And the variety of MD units and looks makes you able to pick a player/recorder according to your needs and wants, although having all these unit choices sometimes makes it hard to pick one!

Same here, I never record, but just love removable media and the whole idea of minidiscs. I use my rh10 as a player only and won't be purchasing the rh1 because the lack of a jog dial and a smaller screen, it is obviously a recording unit.

Same here, I never record, but just love removable media and the whole idea of minidiscs.

Exactly.

One minidiscs your recording are physical entities not just a file on the HD or flash player. Also you can give them nice covers too.

I like having HiMD discs dedicated to the albums of a particular artist.

Transfering parts of my CD & LP/cassette collection to MD also seems safer than putting a large portion on one HardDrive based player. If the HD player is lost, stolen or dies a lot of time an effort loading it is gone so there is less chance with your music spread across many MDs.

MDs are expandable just buy a new disc you don't have to delete any old songs to make space for new ones.

Have occassionally used MDs to record in realtime music from a film soundtrack or a copycontrol CD. Or use the microphone to record birdcalls.

I'd get the RH1 if possible because it is a minidisc.

I still use MD for home dubbing and listening - I tried some alternatives for a short time, but came to the conclusion that an MD deck is still the best option for taping from the radio or LP records. IMO, MD is more trouble than it's worth for portable listening, though; I've used solid-state players for several years now and have been very happy with them.

Nice post steve_s

I 100% agree about the sound quality; I use the Hi-MD for classical and reference stuff and all my non-essential stuff gets loaded to the 20Gb ZEN. It's second only to a really good CD walkman and the size of the Hi-MD units make CD walkmans look like behemoths!

I'm yet to hear a HDD player that can match Hi-MD for pure sonic quality (using the same bit rate; 1411Kbps). Maybe it's because of the storage medium; hard drives were invented to store data, MO was invented as a medium to playback music from. Each has their strengths and weaknesses.

Just wanted to add another name on the list of users that rarely uses his NH1 for recording. I just have the impression that all the HD-players are kind of crappy. Plus, I have to admit, it's this post adolescence idea of separating from the rest :P . I actually get quiet annoyed when riding the train and seeing every second person with the white Ipod-phones probably listening to one of the worst 5 GB collection of music on earth.

Edited by Kaineda77

i also just listen to music on mine only,i have tried all sorts of hdd players and i also find having so much music in place causes me not to listen to much at all,i even struggle with loading up the hi-md 1 gig discs sometimes just to many albums i just prefer to use 80 min discs for particular artists and go about it that way,any newly downloaded cd`s go onto my single i gig disc for previewing anything then i really want to collect goes onto a 80 min disc.....

toddz

I actually get quiet annoyed when riding the train and seeing every second person with the white Ipod-phones probably listening to one of the worst 5 GB collection of music on earth.

Even more annoying is hearing the buggers even when you're wearing earphones.

any newly downloaded cd`s go onto my single i gig disc for previewing anything then i really want to collect goes onto a 80 min disc.....

toddz

What a neat little system...i can totally understand, but i guess most folks out there dont get the idea at all, that some people like to be forced to give every record the chance it deserves

I'm using MD for playback of my huuuuuuge CD collection too, though from time to time I use it to transfer reel-tapes and records (and cassettes too). Then I make the upload for the restoring process on my PC.

But mainly I use it to have something tiny but with great quality to listen on the bus or on the train.

MDs are very useful also when you're tiding the house at 2 am in the morning or your in your favorite armchair, and your neighbours are as***les and your only resorce is wearing earphones...

:D

I'm using MD for playback of my huuuuuuge CD collection too, though from time to time I use it to transfer reel-tapes and records (and cassettes too). Then I make the upload for the restoring process on my PC.

But mainly I use it to have something tiny but with great quality to listen on the bus or on the train.

MDs are very useful also when you're tiding the house at 2 am in the morning or your in your favorite armchair, and your neighbours are as***les and your only resorce is wearing earphones...

:D

I haven't used MD for pure playback in quite a while. I might consider it again since I cannot find a HD/flash player with that doesn't have downsides:

1. iPod nano...no direct drag/drop/play. No radio. No voice recording.

2. zen microphoto...cannot looks at photos and play music. OLED is useless in daylight. Radio has weak reception (compared to a Cowon X5L).

3. Sony DAPs - no color screens (except for the pocket vaio, and it has limitations related to the cradle). No radio. No drag/drop/play capability. MP3 playback isn't nice as ATRAC. No voice recording.

4. MD - realtime recording. Limited music on a disc.

5. HiMD - no drag/drop/play. Limited music per disc (better than MDLP). No radio. Slow transfers.

All have weaknesses. I guess it depends on your preference. After considering the weaknesses of each, I see no reason why the MD/HiMD would be any worse than the others.

On another note. If my apartment neighbors were playing their stereo loudly at 2am, I would be an arse as well.

joe

Edited by lamewing

There are a lot of people who maintain that MD is primarily a recording medium and that it's strength is here rather than in playback. I think this is rubbish. I rarely use my MDs for recording (although it's nice to know that when I do I'll get top-notch quality). My main reason for choosing MD over other media/codecs etc is that the sound quality just can't be beaten. That's where it's strength lies, if only people knew.

There are a lot of people who maintain that MD is primarily a recording medium and that it's strength is here rather than in playback. I think this is rubbish. I rarely use my MDs for recording (although it's nice to know that when I do I'll get top-notch quality). My main reason for choosing MD over other media/codecs etc is that the sound quality just can't be beaten. That's where it's strength lies, if only people knew.

Try telling that to the MP3/iTunes kids.

I cannot believe that some people actually PAY money for compressed audio when uncompressed has been available since, what, 1984?

Isn't the whole point of technological advancement to make things better?

Sorry about that; technological regression just gets on my nerves. It just reeks of corporate nonchalance.

Try telling that to the MP3/iTunes kids.

I cannot believe that some people actually PAY money for compressed audio when uncompressed has been available since, what, 1984?

Isn't the whole point of technological advancement to make things better?

Sorry about that; technological regression just gets on my nerves. It just reeks of corporate nonchalance.

Some of the folks who use iPods and mp3s aren't kids.

I have used MD since 1998 so I am not speaking as a "noob". This really depends on usage, and that is something that really needs to be taken into consideration before downplaying the mp3 and iPod users. I use an iPod, a shuffle in particular. It has very clear sound and is perfect for carrying around at my university and when riding my mountain bike (not on the street, mind you!). This cheap little device acts as my flash drive and music player. Just press play and go. No worrying about playlists (I use autofill) etc.

Does this make me unintelligent or uninformed because I chose this device? Nope. I just don't want to waste a great deal of time when putting together some music for the day. Also, by the time the battery is totally worthless (easily 3 or 4 years), I will have upgraded to something else. Heck, many of my MD units only lasted 3 or 4 years before balking at my use (and I am careful with my electronics). Moving parts..what do you expect?

Now, I don't buy music online as I want the physical CD as I grew up on 8-track, LP, cassettes and CDs. Something doesn't sit right about buying music that is so easy to lose, corrupt, etc. Especially if it is compress at a bitrate I wouldn't normally use.

My point is that there are many reasons to buy many players. No matter how good a unit reproduces sound, it is rather pointless if you don't have great earphones, earbuds, etc AND you don't listen to your music in a very quiet location. For that type of listening, if you have the ears (I don't thanks the the army and a few-too-many duece-and-a-halfs), minidisc can be a fine choice.