Sharp 1bit or Sony RH10 ?

Rate this topic

SHion

Can please someone describe me the sound of the Sharp 1bit amplifier ?

I'm selling the NH900 'cause I'm p***** off from the sound that the EQ can deliver and because of the buttons issues.

I LOVE the sound of the old Digital MegaBass, deep and clear with also treble sharpness (many will agree on that ?)

Now, I can't decide between a Sharp IM-DR400 and a beautiful RH10 that can show me his glow in the darkness (and time pointer!). Nevertheless the least lacks of a HD digital amp. Whereas the 1bit sharp is said to be great sounding and I know has good bass (and today treble adjust too!).

Is the quality of the 1bit IM-DR400 same as the new Auvi series(like the MD-DR77) ?

I really can't decide, though the design of the RH10 is wonderful and HiMD features. But the EQ leaves to desire so like the introduction of the Sound Preset. Pity because the new codec sounds great and perfect at 352kbps !

To colour the sound is more important for me, so I guess I will go for a sharp, afterall I've had enough disappointement from sony. :wacko:

Edited by Shion

Yes I think so. And I'm so sad to say goodbye to the 352kbps quality, it's amazing !

Too bad with sony, you can never have all the features on one machine. It's so stupid.

At least a HD digital amp for the OLED model, and take out the useless Virtual acoustic. :cray:

How many of you people use the Dolby and surround effects on the sharp players ?

Are they worth ? I don't know if to choose a recorder or a player.

Edited by Shion

Yes I think so. And I'm so sad to say goodbye to the 352kbps quality, it's amazing !

Too bad with sony, you can never have all the features on one machine. It's so stupid.

At least a HD digital amp for the OLED model, and take out the useless Virtual acoustic. :cray:

How many of you people use the DolbyNR and effects on the sharp players ?

Are they worth ? I don't know if to choose a recorder or a player.

Why don't you just hang on a couple of weeks for the RH1? Improved HD Amp, OLED and still be able to listen to 352K

shion by using the eq settings greenmachine showed us (-1/-2/-2/-2/-2/-2) you can get real deep bass with the NH900 (of course you need a bit of efficient headphones as you will need to raise the overall volume a bit)

ditching HiMD for lack of bass seems rediculous to me, if bass is so important for you and the anove setting doesn't do enough for you...just eq the songs that require the massive bass beforehand in an audio-editor?

In addition to Volta's suggestion, you should also invest in some bass-friendly headphones (if you haven't already done so). Maybe the Sennheiser PX100. Or check out Head-Fi.org for more options. Give the NH900 another chance.

In addition to Volta's suggestion, you should also invest in some bass-friendly headphones (if you haven't already done so). Maybe the Sennheiser PX100. Or check out Head-Fi.org for more options. Give the NH900 another chance.

Another addition you can also look for Cx300 but don`t look for Ex71

Why don't you just hang on a couple of weeks for the RH1? Improved HD Amp, OLED and still be able to listen to 352K

do you mean the hd amp off rh1 is better than the one off nh900 or rh10? cuz i would assume nh900 have the same amp as rh1 and this guy don't like the hd amp much

go for the sharp, since rh10 have worst sound quality then your nh900 anyway since rh10 only have digital amp wheras the nh900's is a hd digital amp.

Well, I have heard some decent sound and not quite so decent sound from the sony HD amps. Really, at this time you may not want to worry about amp quality when it comes to SONY and rather focus on recording quality concerns. I have owned 4 different SHARP Auvi products, two of which are players, one MD HIFI unit and a recorder, the DR7. They do sound great and I am not sure if it is really do tho their auvi amp. I do know that as soon as the Auvi came out, the battery was lasting very long, so that indicates to me that if anything, something in terms of true quality has been taken away. That said, my DR7 sounded soo good and was absolutely silent. Even if I use my creative ep-630 or my friends shure earbuds, there is no audible hiss on a good recording where there is with my iPod and every other Harddisk unit I have tried.

I have used Panasonic machines in the past as well for MD and they were okay, but as you said, the old megabass in the old MD's by SONY were great with detailed treble and a sound that was not too bassy and certainly not cold. They still have my vote over the newer sharps. But for playback sound, today's MD market is owned by none other than the auvi units. I own the Sony RH10 and it sounds fine, but if you adjust the eq for bass, it quickly gets boomy, so I usually leave it alone.

But, this is an MD recorder you are talking about no? Rather than playback of songs which you have the original of anyway, why not concentrate on good recording features? The DR7 is great for recording and delivers crystal clear even with a mic amp, but of course you have to put up with normal MD, no upload, no MP3 support and no chance of "lossless" PCM recordings. As MD is currently not the best platform to listen to music with, get it for the recording capability of which the top is till MD's world for the price.

Thanx guys !

I will give another chance to Sony Hi-MD so I will buy a RH10 (or wait for the RH1!) because actually with a bit of EQ workaround at last you can get close to satisfactory results.

Actually actually.Although still on the brick of the boomy edge.

It also depends on the music style. (Now Sonic CD soundtrack).

Thanks Volta for the recall on EQ. I really don't want to ditch the Hi-MD, Sony did with the Digital Megabass instead.

By the way I really don't need other home headphones, I'm still a happy owner of Sony's MDR-CD570 :P

I do need new street headphones set instead.

Shigzeo do you really score the old Sony's Megabass sound better than the last Sharp's Auvis ?

Nevertheless, I will give my next try to Sharp first. I'm curious to see such a difference that everybody claims.

(Detail, stereo image, blah blah...) :superstition:

Just still I have to decide between a DS55 and a IM-DR420. Will I miss much without the Dolby's FXs ?

Yeah, hit me hard too Auvi !

By the way I really don't need other home headphones, I'm still a happy owner of Sony's MDR-CD570 :P

I do need new street headphones set instead.

Actually, the ones suggested are more for portable use (px100 folds and cx300 are buds) instead of home use, although plenty of people use both at home. KSC35 or KSC75 seem to get the thumbs up. And px100 are known for their bass.

I would wait for more first-hand reviews of the RH1 instead of getting the RH10. Since you didn't like the HD digital amp of the NH900, then the non-HD digital amp (as people say, "no benefit towards sound") of the RH10 may disappoint you.