Hi-MD Decks/Combos

Rate this topic

k30248

Hi I was looking at one of these systems here: http://www.yodobashi.com/enjoy/more/produc...9/39276489.html

Preferably something on that list, but it doesnt matter. I wasn't sure which one to get though. Do any of those stand out? Or are there any that I should avoid? I was thinking about getting the CMT AH10. I messed around with the regular MD version a week ago and it seems pretty cool especially with the moving front panel for inserting MDs.

Thanks.

Hi I was looking at one of these systems here: http://www.yodobashi.com/enjoy/more/produc...9/39276489.html

Preferably something on that list, but it doesnt matter. I wasn't sure which one to get though. Do any of those stand out? Or are there any that I should avoid? I was thinking about getting the CMT AH10. I messed around with the regular MD version a week ago and it seems pretty cool especially with the moving front panel for inserting MDs.

Thanks.

I think the output is slightly better on all of the Onkyo systems on that page. The speakers on the X-N7 / X-N9 are supposed to be pretty good I think. The Onkyo's also have world band FM if that makes any difference to you and probably a few more options in terms of connections.

I'm kind of going through the same dilemma myself at the moment, but haven't really decided which one to get either!

Worldband FM isnt too important. I read that the sony unit can be connected to the computer through usb and works with sonic stage. Does that work with the Onkyos too?

This is true but on the 1st Gen Onkyo models (the ones you have listed) this is not possible. Onkyo are bringing out some new models and with his permission I'll blatently quote from Bland10000's post

Earlier this week Onkyo released the updates to this series and the new units are equipped with a receiver for you to wirelessly send your music from computer to shelf-system. Plug in the usb toggle and what you have on your computer is played via your Onkyo.

The X-N7X will be released April 26th. The X-N9X and FR-N9X will both be released May 19th. For some reason the usb dongle will not be released until June 22nd. All units have hi-md capabilities...if you look at the picture, on the right hand side next to the md-slot it says hi-md. I'd post a picture but I can't find any that are large enough...I ended up copying the picture then enlargening it until I could read the face but it is only good enough for source info, not for posting.

All these units will have line-ins that allow you plug in DAP's that can be played through the system and controlled with the system remote control.

So you may want to wait... On the other hand this means that the first wave of Onkyo bookshelves should have come down in price a bit vs. 1 year ago.

Rich is correct that the prices on first generation Onkyo Hi-MD units are dropping. The x-b7 which is now 39,800 en was 55,000 since its introduction until x-mas when it dropped to 45,000 en. The other Onkyo Hi-md shelf units have also dropped in an equal proportion. Just to note, the component decks md-105 and md133 have not dropped any but you can find them for less than the 35,000 and 53,000 en prices of Yodobashi.

Onkyo also has a hdd box like Sony and so ya know, none of the hard-disc units have an on-board Hi-md player. You can plug your hi-md recorder into the box and upload or download to your heart's content but you can not stick a hi-md disc in the play-drive and have it play.

Another note about the AnyMusic units; they connect only to a music service called Labelgate/AnyMusic. It may be like Sony Connect and allow to download only from designated areas; in this case only inside of Japan. I don't know that yet but Sony Connect sets a precedent that you must consider.

Edited by bland10000