EMS delivery from Japan to UK

Rate this topic

Kaledi

Hi all,

I've made a rather good purchase from Japan - promise to reveal all when they arrive - and the MD units are being shipped via EMS to the UK. Does anyone have any idea how long delivery takes? Also anyone had an problems or experience with customs at the UK end when importing electronic goods into the UK?

Cheers

delivery through EMS to Belgium (from japan) took about 7 days and there was no delay at our (strict) customs... the whole thing could be followed as well through the EMS site

BTW my package was an RM-MC40ELK remote...so MD's will be bigger and could be handled differently by customs perhaps

delivery through EMS to Belgium (from japan) took about 7 days and there was no delay at our (strict) customs... the whole thing could be followed as well through the EMS site

BTW my package was an RM-MC40ELK remote...so MD's will be bigger and could be handled differently by customs perhaps

I have used EMS into Europe (Netherlands & UK) lots of time and delivery for me has been between 2-5 days max. I have used it for several MD units - one of these into the UK and have never had any issues with customs but these have been one unit at a time. It really depends what the sender declares on the customs slip in terms of value. If they declare the correct value you may be subject to VAT and / or duty. If they declare a low value you may get through customs without any issues, but then if something goes astray you will only be able to reclaim from the Royal Mail the value they declared on the package.

But overall I think you have nothing to worry about the EMS service in itself is mega efficient.

Yes in fact it is 2 MD units so I am expecting some charge from our customs. However, the price I paid for them was very good, so we shall see.

the price yu will or won't have to pay to customs depends on the value the sender declared as Rich already said: if it is marked as a gift (like my RM-MC40ELK was) you often do not have to pay anything at all...

I have used EMS into Europe (Netherlands & UK) lots of time and delivery for me has been between 2-5 days max. I have used it for several MD units - one of these into the UK and have never had any issues with customs but these have been one unit at a time. It really depends what the sender declares on the customs slip in terms of value. If they declare the correct value you may be subject to VAT and / or duty. If they declare a low value you may get through customs without any issues, but then if something goes astray you will only be able to reclaim from the Royal Mail the value they declared on the package.

But overall I think you have nothing to worry about the EMS service in itself is mega efficient.

I asked for the package to be marked as 'gift' but we decided that the value would have to put on for insurance purposes. So we shall see! I won't be too disapointed if I have to pay VAT and import duty since the price was very good. I'll let you know the outcome. Anyone know what import duty is?

Anyone know what import duty is?

Import duty is also known as import tariff. It is a schedule of duties (or tax) imposed by a country on selected imported goods – either as:

1. ad valorem tax: levied on a set percentage of the value of the import goods
  2. specific tariff: by the amount of the import (for example, per weight)

First of all I never bought anything from Japan Via EMS ..But there Normal Airmail Service is very fast I got my MD disk s in just three days ..Wow ..I was rather amazed to see that ..

Customs in India is quite quick they usually clear items in just two-three hours..In B/w US customs is very Slow as Tortoise

Also I do`t think you will have to give customs but still you can think for the worst .

I will advise you to se your Customs website .

:lol: I guess it's the way he word it; my mistake for being a little thorough. ;) Anyhow, I think kaledi would not incur any external cost with the customs at his end.

The way I word it ehe - :blink: . UK %ages is what I was after - will go to the website and have a look. Had confirmation it was posted today and have a tracking number to boot. Will keep an eye on it and see how long it takes.

Hi all,

I've made a rather good purchase from Japan - promise to reveal all when they arrive - and the MD units are being shipped via EMS to the UK. Does anyone have any idea how long delivery takes? Also anyone had an problems or experience with customs at the UK end when importing electronic goods into the UK?

Cheers

Was the purchase the NH3 and EH1 that was ebay last week? Just checked on ebay and pretty much confirmed it. You are the guy who picked those up. I just didn't want to bid on a zero feedback seller. Good luck.

Joe

Edited by lamewing

Was the purchase the NH3 and EH1 that was ebay last week?

It may well have been :rolleyes:

Was the purchase the NH3 and EH1 that was ebay last week? Just checked on ebay and pretty much confirmed it. You are the guy who picked those up. I just didn't want to bid on a zero feedback seller. Good luck.

Joe

I was concerned about that too, however communication with the individual has been A1 and now have a shippment number, so something has been sent! Still feel some concern though, you never know until it actually arrives

I've quite often bought Photographic gear from Japan. Takes about 5 days to the UK.

Sometimes (but not always) you get saddled with Customs duties in which case you might have to go to a depot to pay the duty before you can get the Goods.

Depending on the size and purpose of your purchase you might not have to do this.

Stuff gets through airports very quickly now so there won't be any delay there.

Tips for UK residents.

1) Digital Photographic cameras (STILL only and NOT Video etc) are EXEMPT from Duty. Don't ask me why but it's one of those funny laws.

2) Educational Material can be imported Duty Free. If you've paid the duty you can reclaim it. Get the shippers to make a customs decalration BEFORE shipping the goods. It's no skin of their nose and could save you some money.

You can EASILY say MD recorders are educational items. You need Lecture recordings for Students / self study etc etc.

I think Holland might also have a similar facility. Not sure however.

For the UK the above is true (even with Scotsman Gordon Clown's money grabbing fingers - For Non UK residents he's the Chancellor of the Exchequer which is the equivalent to Minister of Finance in other countries).

Finally no problem buying from Japan at all. You might however not get any English manuals but these can usually be found on the Internet unless products are not normally marketed outside Japan.

Cheers

-K

Edited by 1kyle

I've quite often bought Photographic gear from Japan. Takes about 5 days to the UK.

Sometimes (but not always) you get saddled with Customs duties in which case you might have to go to a depot to pay the duty before you can get the Goods.

Stuff gets through airports very quickly now so there won't be any delay there.

Depending on the size and purpose you might not have to do this.

Tip for UK residents.

1) Digital Photographic cameras (STILL only and NOT Video etc) are EXEMPT from Duty. Don't ask me why but it's one of those funny laws.

2) Educational Material can be imported Duty Free. If you've paid the duty you can reclaim it. Get the shippers to make a customs decalration BEFORE shipping the goods. It's no skin of their nose and could save you some money.

You can EASILY say MD recorders are educational items. You need Lecture recordings for Students / self study etc etc.

I think Holland might also have a similar facility. Not sure however.

For the UK the above is true (even with Scotsman Gordon Clown's money grabbing fingers - For Non UK residents he's the Chancellor of the Exchequer which is the equivalent to Minister of Finance in other countries).

Finally no problem buying from Japan at all. You might however not get any English manuals but these can usually be found on the Internet unless products are not normally marketed outside Japan.

Cheers

-K

Charger and manuals won't be UKspec/english, but I have a NH1 so won't need either. Absoultely no reason for buying these, other than I couldn't resist. I've wanted an EH1 for ages and then seeing the NH3D available too.....

Thanks for the tips on educational items. Will I need something from the seller to prove this, or is my 'word' sufficient an argument?

Charger and manuals won't be UKspec/english, but I have a NH1 so won't need either. Absoultely no reason for buying these, other than I couldn't resist. I've wanted an EH1 for ages and then seeing the NH3D available too.....

Thanks for the tips on educational items. Will I need something from the seller to prove this, or is my 'word' sufficient an argument?

Just get the seller to stick one of those Green International Customs declaration stickers on the package. It's an International Format and available at Post Offices around the world.

It just specifies that the contents are Educational Items. There's no cost and the seller won't mind since he's making a sale.

Cheers

-K

Edited by 1kyle

Just get the seller to stick one of those Green International Customs declaration stickers on the package. It's an International Format and available at Post Offices around the world.

It just specifies that the contents are Educational Items. There's no cost and the seller won't mind since he's making a sale.

Cheers

-K

alas it has already been sent; oh well we'll wait and see what happens

Well, I picked up my new HiMD units today. Get this they were dispatched from Japan at lunchtime on Saturday and were delivered first thing Monday morning to the UK address. I had them delivered to a business address, hence I only got them today. All I can say the MZ-EH1 is a fantastic unit, its on charge at the moment. Also couldn't resist the MZ-NH3D, so got that too (in blue).

They both go great with my MZ-NH1, which I've had since it was first released.

I'll post a picture later today and may even be convinced to do a pictorial or mini review (if people think it worthwhile) - particularly for the NH3D since there doesn't seem to be much out there on this unit.

Glad to hear it all went well. When I got my DH10P it was sent by my contact in Japan on a Wednesday night and on Friday morning Parcel Force delivered it to my UK address. I was also v. tempted to get a blue NH3D but with the RH1 now out thought I'd leave it.

Love to see some photos, I think we only have 1 pictorial of the NH3D that was done beginning of 2005.

So an EH1 and NH3D are added to my now reasonably long list of Sony minidisc units.

As promised, time to take one photo at the moment. I'm getting hitched this Saturday, so not much time to think about minidisc players at the moment :D

If there is interest I will take some more shots and put them up here.

post-3701-1144878610_thumb.jpg

So an EH1 and NH3D are added to my now reasonably long list of Sony minidisc units.

As promised, time to take one photo at the moment. I'm getting hitched this Saturday, so not much time to think about minidisc players at the moment :D

If there is interest I will take some more shots and put them up here.

Kaledi: Congratulations! Don't worry about the review so much as kurisu has already written a review/pictorial for the blue NH3D:

blue NH3D pictorial/review

Focus on the wedding and best wishes!

• 6 years later...