Linux users anyone

Rate this topic

1kyle

Just wondering if there are some Linux users on this Forum.

If so what are you using, what Multimedia do you use and do you use Wireless Internet on it (particularly if you are running Linux on a Laptop).

I'm running a Linux file and print server (We have 5 machines in the house) and in our professional photo studio (next door) we have 8 machines on the network.

The Linux file server is running SUSE 10.0 and is basically just a Print and file server and acts also as an Internet gateway both for home and the Studio and is an Email server for the Studio.

Using Linux for sharing files and printers is a really easy way of being able to add disks and printers easily and especially sharing printers saves buying a load of extra gear.

On the file server I can run Kaffeine (front end for XINE) for DVD playing etc but usually only do this when I'm logged on to the file server running things like backups.

The amazing thing about Linux is that once it's booted you can almost forget it. The last time I re-booted the file server was over 6 months ago when I needed to add some extra disks.

For a file server you don't need state of the art equipment. Any old PC will do even an old Pentium II processor. Ensure you've got Disk controller cards however (don't run server disks from IDE connections on a motherboard. SATA however is OK). 1GB of RAM is also more than suficcient. Even 512KB will give adequate performance so long as you don't have too many computers on your LAN.

Best of all the OS (Linux) is FREE.

Cheers

-K

I'm using FreeBSD here. Too many configurations at home and work to list. Basically I use blackbox or xfce for a gui. mplayer for video, bmp or xmms for audio, openoffice, gimp, firefox, all the usual apps.

Stability and the ability to update without a reboot in many cases are some of the great "features" of Unix systems. I maintain a few dozen servers many of which have over 800 days uptime. They do anything and everything from run Apache, DNS, NTP, 1-2 terabyte NAS, packet filtering, etc.

If you're not running the default installation of most Linux distributions you can slim your hardware requirements down quite a bit. The out of the box installtions tend to be a bit bloated nowadays. You can easily have a server with 128-256MB of ram and an old Pentium 2 handle file serving, firewall operations, IRC or Silc chat services, Apache, even some mild database operations for a small office. It's all a matter of tuning and slimming down the kernel and other processes.

I am thinking of making the jump to Linux. The only think keeping me from doing it is my wife. She does not like me changing things around on her and I think she would freak if I replaced XP Pro entirely. What is available for Linux in the way of desktop publishing programs?

For DTP on *nix your best bet is using something LaTeX (pronounced lah-tek) based. Something like Kile perhaps.

http://kile.sourceforge.net/screenshots.php

Here's some general info about LaTeX.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaTeX

You may be able to get by with OpenOffice, but I'm not entirely sure about it's DTP capacity.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Some one quick, call the doctor! This one has a pulse! :lol:

I've been a linux user for 8 years now, but now I'm thinking about making the jump to FreeBSD. So far it has been the best decision I've ever made. As "streaml1ne" noted it's a:

-Stable and secure operating environment

-efficent on resources

-Virtually immune to virus attacks (must be in root to do any harm)

-Rarely ever have to reboot

-Easy to configure once your over the learning curve(fairly large one at that) B)

-IT'S FREE, unlike windows ;)

For beginners you might want to look into a CD based distro's like "knoppix". That way you can get a feel for Linux before you follow through with installing it on your system.

Edited by jrv2kgt-s

I've been jumping into linux back and forth (when red hat was red hat), and always returned to windows, mainly because of hardware compatibility, EAC, and daemon tools. I've been going through many distro (Suse, linspire, etc). In the past, the biggest problem with linux was hardware compatibility (I mean, even detecting my mouse was a problem...). Today, hardware compatiblity has improved, although there are still instances where official driver is non-existence from the manufacture. Today, it's the apps. Just like MacOS, the challenge going to a non-windows environment is the lack of apps. Sure, there are plenty of open source stuff, but a lot of them are not polished in term of user friendliness (eg. installation, patching, etc). Plus, many distros are pretty bloated, and trying to do a custom install is very challenging for a regular Joe.

For a hobby, linux is fun. For a workstation/server, linux is excellent. For a regular Joe's desktop PC, linux is not there yet. Regular Joe needs simple installation for programs and drivers(installer), plug-n-play, and mainstream application.

I'm itching to try ubuntu, but I don't have a spare PC/partition to play with.

Edited by pata2001

A friend moved to Fedora and loves it. I am getting closer to making the jump. Just tying up some loose ends. I have been weening the wife off M$ Office with the installation of Open Office. So far she has liked it. I just uninstalled M$ Office over the weekend. She has not griped about it yet. :D

It's rather easy to go dual boot or use a LiveCD image of Ubuntu, pata2000. I still haven't done so yet, but I plan on doing so in the near future. I'd imagine that most of us would need to keep a dual boot box unless you have another box dedicated for Sony gear synchronization or are willing to fool around w/ WINE.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately last I checked Sonic Stage under WINE wouldn't transfer a track to a MD device. It runs though.

Just one question...

Run "wincfg" under the termal, and add the Hi-MD drive is listed as a wine emulated "*:" drive...

* whatever letter

I think its under the "drives" tab or something like that..

I would like to hear what if that solves it... - unless you already did that

Edited by danielbb90