Refurbished HiMD Recorders?

Rate this topic

yopuz

Here in Chile I bought a new MZ-RH910 in February, US$240 aprox. Now I'm looking a catalog of a big departament store, and they are selling the same unit for US$135. That is cheaper than any other place (in internet).

Have somebody see refurbished units in the market? I feel swindled.

Thanks for any comment. Sorry my bad english.

Hola yopuz

bienvenido a los foros. Yo también soy de Chile. También me di cuenta de la oferta de Ripley. Es el precio más barato que he visto para ese modelo incluso en U.S. Yo no he visto ningun reproductor refaccionado a la venta, pero hace un año tuve que mandar mi ex- Mzhn900 a U.S por la garantía. Me mandaron uno refaccionado en excelentes condiciones, igual a uno nuevo. Si te preguntas si es que los de Ripley son refaccionados... definitivamente no lo son. Además siempre las unidades refaccionadas traen un aviso en el reproductor que dice que son refaccionadas.

PS: sorry for posting this in spanish, but I tought it would be easier for the poster to understand this since he's from Chile.

Edited by sebastianbf

Just a note on "refurb'ed" stuff.

Usually it will be totally indestinguishable from the Original. Complete with original packaging, manuals etc etc.

Don't confuse with "Used" or second hand model. These will have been re-built so they are "Factory" or "Show room" fresh.

I got a second RH10 for around 95 GBP from Amazon UK. This is well over HALF the current price on these units and it seems fine by me. I can't tell ANY difference from it to the original. For me 2 X RH10 (re-furb'ed) is better than 1X @ more than the price I could get 2 of these units for.

Caveat always being you buy from a reputable source.

Cheers

-K

Just a note on "refurb'ed" stuff.

Usually it will be totally indestinguishable from the Original. Complete with original packaging, manuals etc etc.

Don't confuse with "Used" or second hand model. These will have been re-built so they are "Factory" or "Show room" fresh.

I got a second RH10 for around 95 GBP from Amazon UK. This is well over HALF the current price on these units and it seems fine by me. I can't tell ANY difference from it to the original. For me 2 X RH10 (re-furb'ed) is better than 1X @ more than the price I could get 2 of these units for.

Caveat always being you buy from a reputable source.

Cheers

-K

Totally second that. I receive a refurbished mznh900 from Sony because mine was having recording problems. I couldn't tell the difference between a new unit and the refurbished one. It was amazing how "new" the unit looked.

Is that always the case with refurbished units (if you buy from a "reputable source") - that you will always get a unit that is in perfect cosmetic condition? Or will there be stragglers that work fine but aren't cosmetically new? Just wondering if the factory will only refurbish units that look brand new on the outside to begin with.

sorry guys;;

i've bouhgt three re-ferbished MD Portables and none of them worked right; and by the time i realized that; the warranty time was over.

just be careful; and watch the warranty time.

i DID buy a deck from them that DID work, though; but it must have been a fluke thkng.

Is that always the case with refurbished units (if you buy from a "reputable source") - that you will always get a unit that is in perfect cosmetic condition? Or will there be stragglers that work fine but aren't cosmetically new? Just wondering if the factory will only refurbish units that look brand new on the outside to begin with.

If ther are not "cosmetically New" you'd have to sell them as "Used" or second hand.

Re-Furbed must look and behave EXACTLY as the original Brand New ones complete with original Warranty (valid of course from date of purchase).

Don't have any qualms about buying re-furbed especially for less than HALF the price of the original.

Cheers

-K

Re-Furbed must look and behave EXACTLY as the original Brand New ones complete with original Warranty (valid of course from date of purchase).

If that's the case about behavior, then what happened to Ray three times? A bad seller? A bad refurb?

"i've bouhgt three re-ferbished MD Portables and none of them worked right; and by the time i realized that; the warranty time was over."

Don't have any qualms about buying re-furbed especially for less than HALF the price of the original.

Exactly. Especially now after this thread tells me that the cosmetic appearance of refurbs is like new.

I don't know if this is the case when you buy a refurbed unit, but when I received my refurbished mznh900 (as an exchange for my deffective one) from sony exhange center it only had half the original warranty, I mean it has only 6 months of warranty.

I don't know if this is the case when you buy a refurbed unit, but when I received my refurbished mznh900 (as an exchange for my deffective one) from sony exhange center it only had half the original warranty, I mean it has only 6 months of warranty.

i am only trying to WARN yous; do as you wish. it's like Russioan roulette; only worse; in Russioan Roulette , if you lose; you die and have no concequences;

with Sony Re-ferbishes; if you lose, you have to live with it the rest of your life.

and yes; when i bought re-ferbished; the warrante was like 3 months; or something even worse than that (it's been a while.

Sony re-ferbished store are a joke; they are like a three ring curcus; just stand next to a sales person trying to sell anything to a NON-Electronic person.

they lie; they "Forget" to tell then the "Cons" of the question they are askng.

they make me "sick" and remend me of a few "Cars" i have bought in my likretime that were cosmettically ferfect; that were "Lemons".

i can't believe that any of yous would actually buy something because it's "Cosmetically" perfect; that's the last ting i would want.

i KNOW yous are all smarter than that; yous are all pretty much electronic gurus; or Computer savy; and yous just sound knowledgeable all the time on this Board; so, why all of a sudden this relapse of saavy?

Go ahead and play Russian Roulette; but don't forget that i warned you.

if you DO buy from them; play this unit 24 hours a day for a few days to make sure it's all right; cause i am sure the warranty time is of the essance?? !! ?? !! ;; i mean "Time is not on your side";; hey baby hey baby hey; as Gwen says; NoDoubt this company is a Used Car Salesman in disguise!!!!

Edited by rayzray

i can't believe that any of yous would actually buy something because it's "Cosmetically" perfect; that's the last ting i would want.

i KNOW yous are all smarter than that; yous are all pretty much electronic gurus; or Computer savy; and yous just sound knowledgeable all the time on this Board; so, why all of a sudden this relapse of saavy?

Go ahead and play Russian Roulette; but don't forget that i warned you.

So you'd throw down money for a unit that looks as if it was dropped, sat on, or abused? True, the way a unit looks won't say much for its function, but (to me) the physical appearance does give somewhat of an initial indication of how the unit was treated. (Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying pristine appearance is equivalent to being overall perfect either, since my N1 was in mint physical condition but had the optical head crap out early in its lifetime.)

Much like cars, I probably won't ever buy an MD unit that is refurbished, looking like-new or not (especially because I'm done buying units for now). But, it is nice to see that there are more affordable options for buying MD gear, and those options won't look like (used) crap. So, if I were to buy something refurbished, it would be a definite plus for the like-new cosmetics, not that I'm discounting other factors like function and warranty, of course.

Edit: I just recently joined this forum and T-Board about 2 months ago, so I know you know I'm no electronic guru (or ever claimed to be one). :P That comment must be directed at someone else.

Edited by jaylen

Edit: I just recently joined this forum and T-Board about 2 months ago, so I know you know I'm no electronic guru (or ever claimed to be one). :P

the guys and gals here will get you to "Electronic Guru" in months; IF you read most of the Posts.

i stand my ground; and of course would NEVER buy anything withoug trying it a bit.

theyre must be ppl like me to counter-act all the positiveness going on here; after all; it's not like i don't know what i am doing; i do own a massive MD collection; and use it EVERYDAY; like 4 or 5 units at a time.

i watch these things work; fall apart; re-born; die; get lost in the corners of my one room studio/dungeon.

i NEVER lie; it's all experience; and even though i am at a technical hyatus; i make up for it with bulk of bling blings; some new; some old;; some borrowed; and many blue.

late edit; i just spent $2000 on sprucing up the Video editing part of my studio; notice, i didn't buy any NEW Hi-MD stuff; or a Lap-Top; not even the bottom.

i go for the "fun" of it; no matter what it costs or takes.

MD/HiMD is a necessity for me; not a pleasure; so i can speak any way i want about it; but since i have about 10,000 songs invested in Standard MD's; i'am kinda stuck in quicksand here;

without units to play them; i'm sunk.

skunk punks like Sony just ruin my day.

and of course; my NEW Venture in A/V utilizes my massive MD song collection via my MXD-D3 CD/MD Deck into the "aux-in" of my non-sony Sima A/V Mixer.

like jumping out of the pot into the fire; or is it jumping out of the boiling water into the fire; or is it something else!

and it's not that i HATE Sony; i just dispise their actions and decisions.!!!!.!!!!.!!!!.!!!!

Edited by rayzray

the guys and gals here will get you to "Electronic Guru" in months; IF you read most of the Posts.

Yeah, I only read threads that interest me and post only where I feel like I can contribute (refraining from posting the "me too" types of replies especially). But, on the whole, I skip a good portion of the technical threads.

To be honest, I think it's good that people like you will counter-act. I think that's the purpose of forums. You get both sides of the story. On a side note, I do find your (rhyming) anecdotes at the end of your posts pretty entertaining. And yikes, no way will I get to electronic guru. Too much pressure to be a know-it-all and I just don't have the technical know-how to do be one. :D

But, back on topic, I asked about refurb condition mainly because a few years ago, I was offered (by Sony) a refurbished N1 to replace my broken one.

you can't go wrong on this Board; smorgish or not. i (rayzray) DO learn a lot here; or re-learn a lot of things i forgot.

oh, and one more tid bit; i out duped; and cooped Sony at their own game;

the reason i am not quivering and shivering is that i had forsite a few years ago to "Backup" all or most of my Standard MD's to CD-R's.

i can just abandon the MD's as i wish; and use the same "Index" book cause the CD-R's have the same titles and numbering system.

i out foxed the fox; and out lapped the lap-dancer at the Sony headbanging session. i am always one step ahead of them.

check the "for sale" section of this board; and when you see 500 MD's for sale; you know i have abandoned Sony.

but, till then; and i hope it's not soon; i DO haave a LOT of FUN editing on Standard MD's they ARE the greatest recording/editing format i ever workied with.

late edit]] and jaylen;

you should force yourself to read a bit more here and there on this board; even though you don't understand; it gives you a backdrop of info to recollect on when reading all the rants between the members.

sometimes i concider myself an ganitor in the middle of a conference room full of gurus; and sometimes i concider myself as their mentor; well; anyone can "dream"; it keeps my ulcer inactive and contractive. re-live and forgive just a bit; sit; just watch you back. stack.

Edited by rayzray