Almost ready!

Rate this topic

AVITWeb

Just hoping I could get a little nudge in one direction or another?

Any help would be grand! I understand the 900 has more features, but the rh10 looks soooo nice. :blink:

skip both , check out the rh1, best of both worlds

And where can i get one now being in the US??? Probably not until at least Summer if at all!

Yeah, it will be a while. If you can't wait, I can tell you I'm rapt with my rh10, but the rh910 is basically the same machine without the fancy display.

If money were more of a concern than looking cool (it wasn't for me ;) ) I'd be getting the rh910. I'd skip the first gen nh900, because it doesn't do native MP3 playback, but the rh910 does. The only thing to bear in mind is that you need to set the EQ (you have 2 custom settings available) to make the MP3s sound good.

I don't know of any features that any lower-end models have that the rh10 doesn't. The battery extension is included for running off of a AA battery, which was the one feature the old nh1 didn't have. Maybe that's what you were thinking of.

Good luck, and welcome to the party. :ok:

Edited by genghisbunny

The NH900 does have the HD digital amp while the RH10/910 have the regular digital amp, but maybe you should pass over the NH900 anyway because some people have had trouble with its jog dial malfunctioning. (Look up the old threads on this forum.) Another thing is the RH10/910 can't record in true SP (only Hi-SP), but if this is your first MD unit then I wouldn't worry about this.

If you're interested in the RH1, which beats out the RH10/910 (in my opinion), and you can wait until summer, Kaotic from Audio T-Board has just found that Sound Professionals is taking pre-orders for the RH1 in the US.

Hope you're happy with whatever you choose!

I just purchased the RH910, don't let me fool you I like it and can live with it, but there is 2 issues that are really annoying. First off the RH910 doesn't even come with a remote and I just obtained the RH10 remote, through the generousity of one of the forum members, well lets just say it's functional and nowhere the build quality of the other Sony minidisc remotes( great untill I save a $100, without my wife knowing it, for the 40ELK). So if you want a good remote you're going to be set back another at least $65 plus shipping. That puts the price well above the RH1 which comes with a really good, I beleive 2 line, remote. If you do go with the RH10 you will really need a good remote for the second issue with these units.

Second issue: you're paying $250 for some nice shinny pretty RH10, that scratchs and gets finger prints if you look at it cross eyed! This has been mention before in this forum, but I believe this has been well understated. I've had my RH910 maybe a month and I already got two nice scratchs on it. So you will have to keep it in a bag at all times so you will need a decent remote.

If you don't need direct mp3 playback, doesn't matter if you have to transcode to Atrac, and if you have no legacy SP recordings to upload, I say go for the NH900. The real advantage that I can think of that is left with the RH1 is that it downloads twice as fast.

Now if you have legacy SP recordings, want good direct mp3 play back and are slightlly impacient and want to do lots of recording. I think you should wait for the RH1.

Now if you want bling,bling I say go for RH10. Just remember the looks come with a nasty nuisance.

Since I bought my RH910 I like it but I think I should of taken a extra $30 and got the NH900 from minidisco.com. My experience,POE.

Edited by poe

Just hoping I could get a little nudge in one direction or another?

Any help would be grand! I understand the 900 has more features, but the rh10 looks soooo nice. :blink:

Both units are good IMO. If you want to use the new unit mainly for playback, the MZDH10p is on sale now for $230 aprox. It has camera and a nice color screen, but it is a downloader only, so no line in nor mic in.

Also, if you care about mp3 play capability (I mean without converting it to atrac) then you should go for a second generation HIMD (like mzrh10, mzrh910, or mzdh10p). I must say that direct mp3 playback on 2nd generation players has a problem with treble so you have to adjust your equalization to play it (it sounds better this way but no perfect). If you don't care about playing mp3 without converting them to atrac, I use to had a mznh900. It was a very good recorder and player with the usual functions of himd recorders plus the jog dial.

If you are going to use the unit mainly for recording (especially from mic), i would recommend you the mzrh1. It will be available on may or june this year. It has some very good functions for recording using mic input or line in.

And where can i get one now being in the US??? Probably not until at least Summer if at all!

Why not use the Internet. These days you can source stuff world wide and reputable companies are quite good. (Goods are likely to be cheaper as well).

I live in the UK and never have had probs importing stuff from the USA, Japan, Hong Kong etc.

I don't like "Scambay" but YMMV. However getting stuff from a reputable supplier is fine and delivery by Fedex / Ups / DHL etc is no problem as these companies operate world wide.

I'd certainly get the RH1 if I was just buying now.

Cheers

-K

Edited by 1kyle

Depends on your needs and how much your willing to spend. I love my rh10, the OLED display itself is worth so much. But keep in mind that it does scratch very easily and requires much care. The nh900 does has more features and requires less care. Your choice, both have their advantages.

if it was between the NH1 and RH10 id pick the NH1, however as its between the NH900 and the RH10, id say the RH10 is better IMO

One thing to note is that the NH900 has a HD digital amp which makes HISP sound "better"

However the RH10 sounds better with 352kb/s playback (in my opinion again!)

If your getting a european RH10 grab a LCD remote for it

i WUV my two 900's; they are so old school but so so cool; like a tool;only a fool would not rule and drool over a nine-hundred (inspired by Liverpool).

((have no intention on further buying Sony blunders; no wonders such confusion and delusion over this matter, hatter!

late edit; go with the 900; it just does more IMO.!

Edited by rayzray

Thanks sooo much for all of the responses! It is not my first MD, I own a 610 and I absolutely love the thing. I think i am ready for the jump to HI MD though and wanted to get a good number of opinions.

MP3 really isn't all that important to me...quite frankly I think atrac sounds better.

I do have some legacy SP recordings (not many due to size of recording. When I do optical recording, I usually let the play conver to SP2 so that is can fit. Will I have problems with them?

I think that that's what its going to be!!!

EXCELLENT!

Keep in mind a few things. The RH1 is not all its cracked up to be. Are you looking for a player or a recorder first? Because if you're looking for a player first, the rh1 is a terrible choice. It has no jog dial, a 1 line screen, and is not compatible with the rm-mc40elk (which is the only jog dial remote). I would recommend going for the rh10 easily over the rh1. Plus the rh10 has a AA attachment.

Keep in mind a few things. The RH1 is not all its cracked up to be. Are you looking for a player or a recorder first? Because if you're looking for a player first, the rh1 is a terrible choice. It has no jog dial, a 1 line screen, and is not compatible with the rm-mc40elk (which is the only jog dial remote). I would recommend going for the rh10 easily over the rh1. Plus the rh10 has a AA attachment.

Well having had a hands on with the RH1, I'm happy to say it is actually all its cracked up to be. ;) The RM-MC40ELK is 100% compatible. But anyway I digress...

Well having had a hands on with the RH1, I'm happy to say it is actually all its cracked up to be. ;) The RM-MC40ELK is 100% compatible. But anyway I digress...

You've used the unit? So it is compatible with the 40elk and all 3 lines work? The guy from mdcenter.nl said it didn't work properly. In that case, then it is a pretty good unit. Although it should still have a jog dial on the unit.

You've used the unit? So it is compatible with the 40elk and all 3 lines work? The guy from mdcenter.nl said it didn't work properly. In that case, then it is a pretty good unit. Although it should still have a jog dial on the unit.

Yes I was over at MDFreak's place yesterday. We tested the RM-MC40ELK and all 3 lines work. He did mentioned it himself in the main RH1 thread but that's a few posts back now...

Yes I was over at MDFreak's place yesterday. We tested the RM-MC400ELK and all 3 lines work. He did mentioned it himself in the main RH1 thread but that's a few posts back now...

That makes it a much better unit. I now see that is an upgrade to the NH1. Although sony should've made the 40elk standard with it.

Might get the remote, but keep in mind

I am using an old 610 right now...Screen (RH1 definitely better)

Don't need a jog dial (gotten along fine without) and always carry spare batts with me every where I go so that isnt a problem either....

I cant wait till summer!!!