MP3 playback in SS HIDEOUS compared with WMP 10

Rate this topic

1kyle

Playing MP3 files directly (MP3 encoded with Lame VBR @ 320 kbs) in SS sounds HORRIBLE compared with the Windows Media player playing the same files even though the Windows Media player reports playing at around 302 kbs.

The "hideousness" of MP3 on current MD devices might be due to the poor encoding (actually for playing back it would be the DECODING) of SS rather than the device per say. Without actually being able to decrypt the strange MD format it's hard to compare.

(Pity no Drag'n drop mode with "Normal" type visible discrete individual files which could be dumped and compared).

If it's software then surely a fix could be made for this.

I'm really loathe to "Praise" anything in Windows but the Windows Media player handles the files just fine.

I've been encoding the files using Lame V 3.93.1.

I know there are more recent versions but this version is as stable as a rock and works just fine and I'm sure it's not MY encoding that has got screwed up.

BTW to play your own MP3 files directly with SS use Windows explorer to point to your file and then right mouse click. Chose Open With and browse for OMGJBOX.EXE in the SS folder on your PC.

Cheers

-K

Playing MP3 files directly (MP3 encoded with Lame VBR @ 320 kbs) in SS sounds HORRIBLE compared with the Windows Media player playing the same files even though the Windows Media player reports playing at around 302 kbs.

The "hideousness" of MP3 on current MD devices might be due to the poor encoding (actually for playing back it would be the DECODING) of SS rather than the device per say. Without actually being able to decrypt the strange MD format it's hard to compare.

(Pity no Drag'n drop mode with "Normal" type visible discrete individual files which could be dumped and compared).

If it's software then surely a fix could be made for this.

I'm really loathe to "Praise" anything in Windows but the Windows Media player handles the files just fine.

I've been encoding the files using Lame V 3.93.1.

I know there are more recent versions but this version is as stable as a rock and works just fine and I'm sure it's not MY encoding that has got screwed up.

BTW to play your own MP3 files directly with SS use Windows explorer to point to your file and then right mouse click. Chose Open With and browse for OMGJBOX.EXE in the SS folder on your PC.

Cheers

-K

Windows media player has EQ to adjust sound. SonicStage does not, so it may not sound as clear.

I have converted some files Mp3 files that converted horribly to my HD-5 and RH10 but the files I had made with WMA transfered well. I reimage my computer from time to time and Sony's DRM has kept me from play some of these files. I have for the past year ripped in WMA and had no problems with transfers or playback on Sony devices.