Bizarre NH1 auto gain on volume

Rate this topic

Ok so I have an NH1, but everytime i listen to it on volumes greater than 25 with the eq set to +2,-1,-1,0,0,+2 The sound seems to have a strange auto gain feel to it. The louder sections are lowered in volume, while the quieter sections the volume is raised. This doesnt happen with the eq off. I changed my NH1 destination code to north america, but the problem persists. Is this a sly way of complying with volume restriction laws, or mabye my player is playing up. I was thinking maybe its because i have the bass and treble set to gain settings on the equaliser. Any ideas warmly received!

Note. It sounds like the music has been recorded with AGC on (automatic gain control) But the music was definatly recorded via sonicstage

Edited by Matt J

• 2 weeks later...

I've never experianced this, it can't be the volume restriction. At very high volumes any bands on the EQ which are above 0 will be forced back down to 0, altering the EQ accordingly because the amp can't boost the volume above the maximum.

My NH900 used to behave exactly like this, like a signal compressor. Awful !

Issue was solved changing from the UK region code. I applied the asian region. It worked also with US code and others.

Edited by Shion

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick question...Does the Aus version have any quirks like this? I notice that the volume goes to 30, but just want to make sure. And does this unit have normalization for playback or record only?? I seem to remember reading somewhere that it did, but I could be mistaken.

This is normal behaviour for Sony's digital amps.

If you're using low-efficiency [i.e. high power for low volume] output headphones, the amp will "ride" the signal to prevent outright clipping. In a normal analogue amp, the result would be soft-clipping. What's happening is exactly as you described: compression/limiting [same as how the AGC works].

Using any additive EQ worsens this problem, since a given band that had energy going up to or near 0dBfs -before- additively EQing it would already be approaching clipping before even getting to the output amp [almost all currently-released CDs are mastered with the average levels so high that this occurs through all loudish sections regardless]. Adding to that band that's already near clipping pushes it straight into clipping. The Sony EQ seems to pre-compensate for this by limiting the overall volume; this avoids outright distortion but gives your music that "pumping" or "riding the slider" kind of sound.

I've noticed that the RH10 does this as part of the digital amp and as part of the EQ, separately. My NH700 does it with the EQ, but the [analogue] amp doesn't. What I've found with the digital amp is basically that if you have to use low-efficiency 'phones with the volume cranked, the amp and the EQ will -both- be compressing/limiting the entire signal.

Basically, if you wish to avoid this problem, do the following:

* Buy more efficient phones

* Simply turn it down; if you're listening at 30/30 or near it with the stock 'phones, you should be damaging your hearing every time you listen

* Never use the EQ above the centre 0-line