It's Nearly Here (next thursday Apr 20) My RH1

Rate this topic

1kyle

Am I the IST in the UK to have one of these. I've been Promised (confirmed as I was on the phone with the Store owner AND the SONY REP) that I can collect it from the Store next Thursday.

Will post pics and tryout the software as soon as I collect it.

Price (inc taxes etc) 203 GBP (which is I think the price Sony is charging the retailers).

Can't wait.

BTW Store is Gulltronics in London's Tottenham Court Road if anybody else wants to see if they can get "Early" deliveries. You'll have to go into the store to enquire. Apparently there's been a relatively BIG interest in these (first for MD for ages the store owner said).

I've often bought "gizmos" from these people so OK.

Cheers

-K

Edited by 1kyle

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the IST in the UK to have one of these. I've been Promised (confirmed as I was on the phone with the Store owner AND the SONY REP) that I can collect it from the Store next Thursday.

Will post pics and tryout the software as soon as I collect it.

Price (inc taxes etc) 203 GBP (which is I think the price Sony is charging the retailers).

Can't wait.

BTW Store is Gulltronics in London's Tottenham Court Road if anybody else wants to see if they can get "Early" deliveries. You'll have to go into the store to enquire. Apparently there's been a relatively BIG interest in these (first for MD for ages the store owner said).

I've often bought "gizmos" from these people so OK.

Cheers

-K

I hope you will not be disappointed because the MZ-RH1 will arive in Europe only in May. The 20th of april is the release-date for Japan, not for Europe.

I hope you will not be disappointed because the MZ-RH1 will arive in Europe only in May. The 20th of april is the release-date for Japan, not for Europe.

That's where he's getting it from. "Friends/ contact" in the 'biz.

My RH1 won't be volume capped either.

Cheers

-K

That's cool you'll get it earlier than Europe will. But, I thought the "pre-order" was for 2.

Side note for non-UKers: Kaotic posted that the RH1 pre-order for the USA is $299 + ~$9 for shipping at The Sound Professionals.

That's where he's getting it from. "Friends/ contact" in the 'biz.

My RH1 won't be volume capped either.

Cheers

-K

So your RH1 will be imported from Japan. That might be possible yes.

We will publish our review of the (prototype) RH1 early next week so maybe you can check if and what the differences will be between the prototype we tested and the actual Japanese model.

Edited by MDfreak

That's cool you'll get it earlier than Europe will. But, I thought the "pre-order" was for 2.

Side note for non-UKers: Kaotic posted that the RH1 pre-order for the USA is $299 + ~$9 for shipping at The Sound Professionals.

Don't forget you have to add TAX in the US so that makes it about 330 USD.

At 1.78 USD / 1 GBP that's 185 GBP. OK Cheaper but not horrendously so and I've no doubt UK prices will drop after the initial intro. The main problem with Europe is the VAT which is 17.5% in the UK (gettable back if you are running a business) to around 21 % or more in France.

I will get the 2nd one later - I can only get 1 "Early" but I'm really looking forward to it and also to see what the software differences are (if any) - especially for things like SP upload.

Cheers

-K

Don't forget you have to add TAX in the US so that makes it about 330 USD.

At 1.78 USD / 1 GBP that's 185 GBP. OK Cheaper but not horrendously so and I've no doubt UK prices will drop after the initial intro. The main problem with Europe is the VAT which is 17.5% in the UK (gettable back if you are running a business) to around 21 % or more in France.

Cheers

-K

Easy there, Jumpy. You really didn't have to look up tax/conversion info and do the math (but btw, taxes slightly differ per US state). I'm not interested at all in buying the RH1, but I stated that pre-order price in case any people in the USA are interested. It was in no way being compared to your "pre-order," which is why I made it a Side Note. So don't worry; no one is trying to steal your thunder. :rolleyes:

Edit: And no ill will towards this post topic as I did say "it's cool."

Edited by jaylen

I will get the 2nd one later - I can only get 1 "Early" but I'm really looking forward to it and also to see what the software differences are (if any) - especially for things like SP upload.

There should be no differences in the upload speed between regional versions of the RH1. The only difference may be that because you will be getting a JP unit, it will ship with the JP versions of Sonic stage / Simple Burner.

Will try and do.

I'll get pictures as well.

Can't wait to get my hands on it.

I feel like a little kid on Xmas Eve waiting for Santa by the fire place.

Cheers

-K

There should be no differences in the upload speed between regional versions of the RH1. The only difference may be that because you will be getting a JP unit, it will ship with the JP versions of Sonic stage / Simple Burner.

That would be a real pain in the ..... because a Japanese version will only install on a Japanese version of Windows. Furthermore the English version of SonicStage (version 3.4.02.14020) that you need to take full advantage of the features of the RH1 is still not available via Sony Support sites. I had to get my version via my contacts @ Sony.

And yes, you also need new PA-drivers. Probably they are the same for JP as for the EU but probably if you get a Japanse CD with Japanese installer it will not install automatically. Probably you have to install them manually.

That would be a real pain in the ..... because a Japanese version will only install on a Japanese version of Windows. Furthermore the English version of SonicStage (version 3.4.02.14020) that you need to take full advantage of the features of the RH1 is still not available via Sony Support sites. I had to get my version via my contacts @ Sony.

Lol - :lol: You can actually get the JP version to install in english windows XP by editing the setupss.inf file and running the install via Applocale (obviously you need to have support for Japanese language installed). But unless you can read Japanese it will be quite tough to use...

And yes, you also need new PA-drivers. Probably they are the same for JP as for the EU but probably if you get a Japanse CD with Japanese installer it will not install automatically. Probably you have to install them manually.

Wow. All of that make it sound like getting a Japanese RH1 (at this moment before that SS version comes out) a pain, especially if you don't know well-informed people (like you and richyu) or know what to do. It seems like English-only speakers are better off waiting if they want the RH1's full effect or they can flounder and tinker around with the RH1 until things are truly figured out.

As I'm going to be using this essentially as a recording device I'm not too bothered with things like Play Back settings / music uploads etc etc.

For purely Music playback there are certainly other options available and as I NEVER use things like Itunes, Connect etc etc.

For what I need the device for I'm sure the current SS 3.4 will be fine until an English version is available.

You can set the RH1 Language settings to English and quite a few other languages (even on the Japanese models) so that part of the problem is non existent.

For legacy recording upload @ SP I've still got the JB980 with optical out so apart from a little bit of hand editing tracks - can be done even in SB so you don't need to transfer anything to SS library.

How the final software handles SP transfers will be quite interesting to see later however.

I like the idea of being able to RECORD still in SP since this stuff often gets played on legacy equipment.

Cheers

-K

As I'm going to be using this essentially as a recording device I'm not too bothered with things like Play Back settings / music uploads etc etc.

You can set the RH1 Language settings to English and quite a few other languages (even on the Japanese models) so that part of the problem is non existent.

Lol, no offense, but you really need to re-read richyu and MDfreak's comments.

Lol, no offense, but you really need to re-read richyu and MDfreak's comments.

I've often imported stuff from Japan with no English manuals etc and got them working. I can recognise baisc menu settings like Language and English in Japanese characters

I don't think I'll have a problem with RH1. Got enough access to Japanese speakers as well.

The limited SS functionality won't bother me initially. The device can be used as a recorder TOTALLY AWAY FROM A COMPUTER. Real time will also work for transferring both ways (although transferring to computer will be Analog if not using SS).

The device managers and full SS functionality will be available later I'm sure.

Cheers

-K

I'm not saying you'll have a problem with the basic functions of the RH1. I was pointing this out to you:

"Furthermore the English version of SonicStage (version 3.4.02.14020) that you need to take full advantage of the features of the RH1 is still not available via Sony Support sites. I had to get my version via my contacts @ Sony...But unless you can read Japanese it will be quite tough to use..."

FULL advantage are the keywords. I've gotten by with no English manual for my NH3D as well and I have friends who can read/write in Japanese (so you'll want to find those instead of "speakers" - many people can speak it, but are not necessarily able to read it). So, I have no doubt you will "get by." But, my (missed) point was, to take full advantage of the RH1's features, as MDfreak said, you'll probably need the version he's talking about. :) Don't get in defensive mode as richyu/MDfreak made comments simply because these are just some things you will/may encounter when you take delivery of your unit. Just a heads up, that's all. (Don't feel the need to reply because I won't be returning to this thread.)

as a potential buyer; all this proves one thing to me; stay away from Sony!!!!

yes; MAYBE in the future i would concider another sony Hi-MD; but all this iffy talk about maybe this will work and maybe not at FULL Potential makes me puke more than the Marmite did.

but ranting like this is essential to the board and members; it gives everyone the "heads-Up) approach to Sony's inabilaty to communicate with their costomers.

i "Read-On" as a heed-on;; not a need-on; in deed, on other occations i may have gleed on about this.

Edited by rayzray

Coincidentally, which is also my birthday. It's a fuuuun birthday to have, man. :dance2:

Happy Birthday

My Package is HERE (arrived yesterday - one day late) but IT's HERE.

I'll be trying it out later this weekend- I'm off to Old Trafford to see Chelsea V Liverpool in the FA cup semi-final today so won't have too much time for posting as I have to catch a train from London to Manchester and since there will be a lot of Footie fans on the train it's not the best environment to try out a piece of new gear.

Cheers

-K

Happy Birthday

My Package is HERE (arrived yesterday - one day late) but IT's HERE.

I'll be trying it out later this weekend- I'm off to Old Trafford to see Chelsea V Liverpool in the FA cup semi-final today so won't have too much time for posting as I have to catch a train from London to Manchester and since there will be a lot of Footie fans on the train it's not the best environment to try out a piece of new gear.

Cheers

-K

I'm looking forward to reading your review.

regards

Tch tch - what kind of MD fan are you who would put soccer in front of trying it out! Shame! :)

:lol2::lol2::lol2:

I'm looking forward to someone changing the title of this thread... I'm always puzzled by it "huh, isn't it past the 20th yet?" :lol:

looking forward to your review as well (especially reading what's different when compared to the excellent review MDreak and Richyu did of the prototype)

I'm interested as well as I seem to recall one of the early specs for the unit was a sidecar, interested to hear what it actually came with.

Lucky sob

Take care,

Bob

"sidecar" is what I've seen a few people on the forum call the external battery pack. Definately don't mean the motorcycle variety.

ttfn

Bob

Had a little chance to play with this just to say it's BETTER by far than I expected.

Will post a review later = am working at the moment an an OUTDOOR shoot so not much time on the Net.

Suffice to say that the Time stamp feature is BACK, SP upload to PC works MP3 playback is fixed (I'm not a huge fan of MP3 formats but it certainly is fine at 16 bit 44.1 @192, 256 and 320 kbs - MP3 files created from ATRAC Losless ==> WAV ==> MP3. MP3 created via LAME.

No MAC software yet - at least I didn't get any so hopefully can download some later. Not sure whether that's just my unit or a general problem.

Must rush now but full review and some pics later.

Just a quickie - forget the supplied remote as the RM-MC40ELK seems to work fine (haven't checked every function most most of the "Usual" one's work).

The Normalisation is EXCELLENT as well more later.

Nice one Sony. (For once)

Cheers

-K

Edited by 1kyle

Had a little chance to play with this just to say it's BETTER by far than I expected.

Will post a review later = am working at the moment an an OUTDOOR shoot so not much time on the Net.

Suffice to say that the Time stamp feature is BACK, SP upload to PC works MP3 playback is fixed (I'm not a huge fan of MP3 formats but it certainly is fine at 16 bit 44.1 @192, 256 and 320 kbs - MP3 files created from ATRAC Losless ==> WAV ==> MP3. MP3 created via LAME.

No MAC software yet - at least I didn't get any so hopefully can download some later. Not sure whether that's just my unit or a general problem.

Must rush now but full review and some pics later.

Just a quickie - forget the supplied remote as the RM-MC40ELK seems to work fine (haven't checked every function most most of the "Usual" one's work).

The Normalisation is EXCELLENT as well more later.

Nice one Sony. (For once)

Cheers

-K

Ok, so the same as with the prototype I tested except for the normalisation that did not seem to work with the prototype so could you please tell some more about that and how it works.

Also good to hear you like it. I also found it much better than I had expected.

Edited by MDfreak