It's Nearly Here (next thursday Apr 20) My RH1

Rate this topic

1kyle

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe he's gone with the wind :lol: . It's being cruel to keep us waiting for so long. Can you imagine, Kyle, how anxious we are to know more about that cuttie?. Please, make an effort and don't keep it only for you :lol::lol::lol:

bye

Do you realize how stupid these 3 pages are?. We are all talking about something we haven't seen or try. We depend on one person to know more since... 3 pages? :wacko:

Edited by dogville

Hello!

I actually have had a RH1 for two days, and I must say all what Kyle says is true, I could just add three things:

1. The Macintosh support is not working. Could not upload or download anything with it. Too bad!

2. The eject button is far too easily pushed inadvertently! It's easy to eject your disc while shuffling around in your pocket.

3. ONE BIG FLAW: It is not possible to effectively browse through a disc without the remote control. So, if you want to use your RH1 as a "micro deck" (which it is very well designed to) and connect it to your stereo system using the line out audio out option, WHICH IS ONLY SELECTABLE WITHOUT A REMOTE, you will only be able to navigate through your disc using next and previous track. This makes a full 1GB Hi-LP disc (say, 600 tracks) virtually unusable. Darn!

However, I only have the japanese instructions (and I do not read japanese), so maybe there is a trick to select groups or albums or artists without the remote, but it does not look like it was possible.

I'll be posting further remarks when something insteresting comes out (for example, if I get the Macintosh support working).

Hello!

I actually have had a RH1 for two days, and I must say all what Kyle says is true, I could just add three things:

1. The Macintosh support is not working. Could not upload or download anything with it. Too bad!

2. The eject button is far too easily pushed inadvertently! It's easy to eject your disc while shuffling around in your pocket.

3. ONE BIG FLAW: It is not possible to effectively browse through a disc without the remote control. So, if you want to use your RH1 as a "micro deck" (which it is very well designed to) and connect it to your stereo system using the line out audio out option, WHICH IS ONLY SELECTABLE WITHOUT A REMOTE, you will only be able to navigate through your disc using next and previous track. This makes a full 1GB Hi-LP disc (say, 600 tracks) virtually unusable. Darn!

However, I only have the japanese instructions (and I do not read japanese), so maybe there is a trick to select groups or albums or artists without the remote, but it does not look like it was possible.

I'll be posting further remarks when something insteresting comes out (for example, if I get the Macintosh support working).

1) This is because the software is not ready yet.....

2) I used the RH1 for 3 weeks "on the road" and I always put it in my pocket and it never opened accidentally. For it to open you had to push the button very far in. So I had no problem with that.

1) This is because the software is not ready yet.....

2) I used the RH1 for 3 weeks "on the road" and I always put it in my pocket and it never opened accidentally. For it to open you had to push the button very far in. So I had no problem with that.

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere on the web that the MZ-RH1 has the same mechanism as the old style MD walkmans had like the MZ-R50 where once the disc was playing or recording a solenoid would lock the walkmans lid shut, so even if the eject button was pressed (or slid), the disc would not be ejected.

My old MZ-R3 and R50 had this, but seemed to be missing on the MZ-NH1 maybe because of extra weight. Seems to have made a return on the MZ-RH1?

Lion

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere on the web that the MZ-RH1 has the same mechanism as the old style MD walkmans had like the MZ-R50 where once the disc was playing or recording a solenoid would lock the walkmans lid shut, so even if the eject button was pressed (or slid), the disc would not be ejected.

My old MZ-R3 and R50 had this, but seemed to be missing on the MZ-NH1 maybe because of extra weight. Seems to have made a return on the MZ-RH1?

Lion

The RH1's eject button indeed locks when you are e.g. recording or when a data-transfer is in progress.

Or in case you can't find the news (doh!) here's a direct link: ;)

http://www.mdcenter.nl/artikelen/mzrh1/index_en.php

My apologies :ok: and thanks for the link. I had already read it but didn't remember it was Marck's.

regards ^_^

Or in case you can't find the news (doh!) here's a direct link: ;)

http://www.mdcenter.nl/artikelen/mzrh1/index_en.php

It's a shame that the webpage is not in English (except for this article on the rh-1), but only in Dutch.

:(

Edited by dogville

Which is why I think sony really screwed up on this unit. I hope they release another unit in the 3rd gen that has all the playback features that were taken out (jog dial, larger screen).

It's a shame that the webpage is not in English (except for this article on the rh-1), but only in Dutch.

:(

Well maybe Marck can answer that better than me, but it is mainly a site aimed at the dutch users. Stuff that may be of big interest internationally has been translated into english like the RH-1 and DH10P reviews.

Well maybe Marck can answer that better than me, but it is mainly a site aimed at the dutch users. Stuff that may be of big interest internationally has been translated into english like the RH-1 and DH10P reviews.

MDcenter.nl is a site aimed at the Dutch public. I choose to make a Dutch site because there are already enough international sites like the MDCP. If you are interested in particular articles please let us know which and we may make an English translation of them.

MDcenter.nl is a site aimed at the Dutch public. I choose to make a Dutch site because there are already enough international sites like the MDCP. If you are interested in particular articles please let us know which and we may make an English translation of them.

Thanks so much, Marck ^_^. By the way, can you tell us other sites interesting to visit related to minidisc?.

Edited by dogville

Hello!

Does the main unit support playback info?

sparda... have you read the review? please do as your question is answered already (btw, no it doesn't if you mean track title etc.)

Yes I have read the review, but i was referring to the production model instead of the prototype. Maybe Sony could have added track title etc. feature to the main unit at the last minute.

Hello there!

A few more hands-on impressions from RH1:

1) The thing about the ejection button is not that critical.

I actually pushed it open two times the first two days, but then I learned to handle the player (especially taking it out of my pocket holding the edges) without pushing the eject button, so I think it will not be a problem for a trained RH1 owner.

2) More about the Macintosh support:

The provided Macintosh software will let me upload Hi-MD tracks and convert them in .wav files, but ONLY THOSE I HAVE RECORDED ON THE RH1, not those that I have recorded on my RH-10. Darn! However, this is very quick (a couple of seconds for a couple of minutes Hi-LP track).

3) Something weird with titling and Macintosh support:

When I input a title on the RH1, I can't edit it on the RH10 and vice-versa: a title entered on the RH10 cannot be edited on the RH1 ("can't edit"). Darn! This holds for Title, Author and Album. Furthermore, a track recorded on the RH1 and titled on the RH10 will not be eligible any more for Macintosh upload. Darn-again! However, removing a title (or author, or album) on the recorder that entered it will make the track "titleable" on both devices and will make it back eligible for upload. Weird!

4) A workaround for the line-out flaw:

Plugging the remote of the RH10 on the RH1 will not disable the line out audio out option automatically, as the RH1 remote will do, but any command will do (that is, pause, forward, etc...). It makes it possible to use the RH1 as a home deck with loaded discs as follows:

* use the next/previous group button to navigate through groups

* pause

* select the line out option on the main unit

* play, use the main unit controls only

It is not a perfect workaround, but at least it works.

5) Playback quality:

I made a QUICK AND NOT THOROUGH comparison of the RH1 and RH10, using the RH1 remote and Grado SR80 headphones (Cassandra Wilson, New Moon Daughter, digitally recorded on the RH1 in Hi-SP). The difference is audible, as instruments (accordion, guitar, congas, etc...) seem more "present" with the RH1 and gives a better feeling of "intimacy". The famous difficult hissing "s" sounds from human voice are rendered slightly better on the RH1. The multiple simultaneous tones of the accordion are better identified and the percussions seems closer and better defined. However these differences are minor, and I can't tell if it is because of the amplifier, the decoding algorithm or the connectors. I will certainly perform other tests (LinearPCM recordings, recordings from the RH10, etc...) in the future - I will keep you informed.

OK, that is all for the moment - enjoy

Edited by storm shadow

Hello there!

4) A workaround for the line-out flaw:

Plugging the remote of the RH10 on the RH1 will not disable the line out audio out option automatically, as the RH1 remote will do, but any command will do (that is, pause, forward, etc...). It makes it possible to use the RH1 as a home deck with loaded discs as follows:

* use the next/previous group button to navigate through groups

* pause

* select the line out option on the main unit

* play, use the main unit controls only

It is not a perfect workaround, but at least it works.

Thanks for the info - just to clarify are you talking about the non-lcd remote (RM-MC60 I think it is) that comes with the US / UK RH10?

The remote that came with the JE RH10 is the RM-MC35ELK same as the RH1.

Thanks for the info - just to clarify are you talking about the non-lcd remote (RM-MC60 I think it is) that comes with the US / UK RH10?

The remote that came with the JE RH10 is the RM-MC35ELK same as the RH1.

Yes, I am talking about the European RH10 remote (RM-MC60, non-LCD).

Hello there!

One more little piece of RH1 review. This one is about Macintosh support.

Hold your breath...

UNRESTRICTED DRAG-AND-DROP .WAV FORMAT IMPORT FROM Hi-MD RECORDINGS, EVEN WITH WRITE-PROTECTED DISCS

Am I dreaming or what? No! It is true. Recordings (Hi-LP) made on an RH1 could be uploaded from a write-protected disc on a Macintosh with simple drag-and-drop operation using the Hi-MD Music Transfer software. In my opinion, it is the most user-friendly hardware/software combination so far to record and upload using MiniDiscs.

The best is even that I performed the upload with an RH10. So you do not even need an RH1 to upload, only to record!

I am a Macintosh user and was always bothered by the Windows-only Sonicstage software, which is by the way unbearably slow (my best PC is a 266MHz laptop on which ripping a CD track is performed in 0.5x time: slower than realtime recording).

For those who would like to record and upload stuff, and are fortunate enough to own a macintosh, the RH1 is definitely a must-buy.

Have you tested the Mac software to see if this version allows the proposed download of MP3 to Hi-MD natively from Mac or if this is not yet implemented and will be in the version out in summer.

The currently available version DOES NOT download anything (neither PCM nor MP3). This feature is supposed to be introduced in the new Macintosh software planned for summer 2006.

The currently available version DOES NOT download anything (neither PCM nor MP3). This feature is supposed to be introduced in the new Macintosh software planned for summer 2006.

ok as I thought - but the current version is called Hi-MD music transfer for Mac 1.0 or not?

ok as I thought - but the current version is called Hi-MD music transfer for Mac 1.0 or not?

Yes, the currently available version is "Hi-MD music transfer", version 1.0.00.12141.

I have been playing a bit more with my RH10, RH1 and Macintosh software.

One more fact: inserting track marks using the RH10 renders almost all the tracks un-uploadable even if they were originally recorded using the RH1 (one track keeps uploadable from times to times, randomly I guess). However, re-inserting track marks at the very same place with the RH1 (pause - seek - track mark (mark off) - track mark (mark on)) make them uploadable again. This weird behaviour reminds me of other players' behaviours regarding the Macintosh software (like all the tracks greyed except one, etc...). Looks like messing with the track marks is a bad thing.

My next test will be to check if the RH1 can make a non-RH1-recorded track uploadable.

I will keep you informed.

Seems that the revered uploadability of RH1 is built on top of the standard, and does not provide real compatibility with good old models. Do not touch your MDs!!!

I think you are confusing MAC-upload of Hi-MD recordings(which is described above) with PC-upload of old tracks via SonicStage.

By the way: yesterday the first European MZ-RH1's arrived @ the Dutch webshop where I always buy my stuff. They also said they would get some more of them today. So the RH1 is finally available in the Netherlands (2 weeks ahead of schedule) so probably in whole Europe the first models are shipped.

Seems that the revered uploadability of RH1 is built on top of the standard, and does not provide real compatibility with good old models. Do not touch your MDs!!!

As MDFreak points out, I failed to mention that my most recent post was about uploading Hi-MD tracks on Hi-MD format (Hi-LP tracks on a Hi-MD formatted 74min MD, to be precise) using Macintosh software. I have not tested upload of MD tracks using SonicStage yet, but it is on my plan.

By the way, the first attempts to make a non-uploadable (RH10) track uploadable by superceding its track marks by RH1 track marks was unsuccessful: the track was eligible for upload (not grayed out), but the upload failed (not able to read from media). However, I have not tested yet if the sametrack recorded on an RH1 could be uploaded, so maybe the failure has another reason (SCMS or something). I will also try Hi-MD formatted MD media and 1GB Hi-MD media.

As MDFreak points out, I failed to mention that my most recent post was about uploading Hi-MD tracks on Hi-MD format (Hi-LP tracks on a Hi-MD formatted 74min MD, to be precise) using Macintosh software. I have not tested upload of MD tracks using SonicStage yet, but it is on my plan.

By the way, the first attempts to make a non-uploadable (RH10) track uploadable by superceding its track marks by RH1 track marks was unsuccessful: the track was eligible for upload (not grayed out), but the upload failed (not able to read from media). However, I have not tested yet if the sametrack recorded on an RH1 could be uploaded, so maybe the failure has another reason (SCMS or something). I will also try Hi-MD formatted MD media and 1GB Hi-MD media.

Hi storm shadow. Can you see tracknames on the display (i.e. not the remote) of the RH1?

Thx

Edited by FezzFest

Hi storm shadow. Can you see tracknames on the display (i.e. not the remote) of the RH1?

Thx

No, there are neither track, nor author or album or disc names displayed on the main unit. Only the group number and the track number within the group.

Anybody who already owns a RH-1 (especially a european "capped" one :wacko: ), please tell us a bit more of your personal experience. Spain here hungry to read more about this gadget in the European version. I think it would be great to open a new thread tittled more or less "Rh-1 owner's experience" :rolleyes:

thanks