So much for Hi-Def DVD.

Rate this topic

Syrius

http://reviews.cnet.com/4531-10921_7-6423704.html?tag=txt

If they have it their way, those who bought an HDTV that doesn't support HDMI are basically screwed. Self-defeating if you ask me. Glad to know at least Sony isn't supporting the idea for now. But WB? Weren't they the first proponents of open DVD back when DIVX, they pay-per-play disc format, was available? HYPOCRITES! Low-res on analog outputs... then why would I want to buy a Hi-Def DVD player?

I'll be watching DivX-encoded movies until the dust settles down.

Bastards. <_<

Hmm, it looks like it is up to the manufacturer to decide whether the analog output of the player is limited in its resolution or not... So since we haven't seen either players or discs yet we can't really say how widely used this [somewhat strange] analog video limitation will be.

How many HD-capable TVs actually don't have either DVI[-D] or HDMI, anyway? It can't be that many. I think the only time I ever saw that was with 1st [HD] gen sets. Other than that any HD capable set I've seen has had DVI or HDMI (or both), so I don't see how it is that big a deal.

The keyword is HDCP. HD content protection. Even PC monitors and video cards would be required to support this in order to view full HD resolution, and most current video cards DON'T have HDCP support on their video-out, let alone monitors. So yeah, you would have to buy new monitors for your PCs.

I wish all this DRM crap would just go down the drain. Hopefully, there will be enough consumers that have non-HDCP devices complaining that manufactures would just drop it, and tell Hollywood to screw themselves.

Another thing to complain about:

DRM has another victim - and that's you. Like one minute-plus boot times?

Some thoughts from Inquirers Charlie Demerjian.

Hmmm, seems that that article is just a biased speculation. Reading the original review at PCworld, there is no mention anywhere about DRM. Let's face it. It's the first HD-DVD player. I'm sure there are plenty of optimization to be made. HD-DVD/blu-ray players would have a larger programming for the firmware to be able to play advance content (I read that it even includes Java). I do have to say that for a consumer level electronics, that kind of "boot-up" is not acceptable. Considering that even a flash MP3 player needs to "boot-up," I think manufactures are getting lazier in optimizing their products, especially if they have the option to update the firmware later. Or maybe it's a conspiracy to attract consumer in upgrading their players later on. "Hey, our 2nd gen players boot 50% faster than 1st gen!" :D:D

Hollywood is being paranoid again. I don't know if there's any device that can record component video and take advantage of such high resolution. There are some times I wish terrorists had targeted movie studios instead of the Twin Towers. They would have done all of us a favor. (Not really. I'm just angry at Hollywood)

Hollywood is being paranoid again. I don't know if there's any device that can record component video and take advantage of such high resolution. There are some times I wish terrorists had targeted movie studios instead of the Twin Towers. They would have done all of us a favor. (Not really. I'm just angry at Hollywood)

The AACS licensing agreement (that every hardware manufacturer of HD-DVD and Blu-ray and PC video cards, etc. must agree to) has in it the mandatory phasing out of analogue outputs in the coming years. The idea is to pretty much let the studios decide what you can and can't do with (encrypted) content you buy. AACS is in itself, encrpted content. On their website, of course, they talk about it "enabling" and "making possible" high definition content. Pure rubbish.

http://www.aacsla.com/home

Forget fair use. Forget using analogue outputs to display content in high res, let alone make a copy of unencrypted content. You will not have permission. And after a few years, you will not have the outputs.

Anyone supporting these two formats is supporting the companies who are going to screw them over completely, bit by bit.

And soon, you won't be able to play your own recordings. Sony learned this the hard way, and look what happened to MD. *sigh* I still think Al-Qaeda should have chosen another target instead of the WTC.

I guess I am off to buy one of the DIVX players that can play video at 720P. No DRM, no AACS, no BS. Fight the power, people. Get DIVX and tell Hollywood to shove it.

Edited by Syrius