Hi-MD and MAC - another topic....

Rate this topic

danielbb90

http://www.apple.com/macosx/

Mac X can work on intel...

Just one thing I want to know (that wasn't in the results of my search)

If you plug a none-mac Hi-MD player in a intel version of Mac X and use the wav importer would it work.

If Hi-MD dousn't work on a Mac because it needs intel only this might give a chance for a MZ-NH1, NH700 ect to upload a Mac (based) system...

(Cos' its windows compatable)

Has anyone tested it?

It might work... And do you understand what I said?

I know, but I wrote it... I might need to re-explain it! :lol:

Edited by danielbb90

If you plug a none-mac Hi-MD player in a intel version of Mac X and use the wav importer would it work.

The issue is not one of what processor is in the computer. It's about:

1 - the hardware [HiMD recorder]; the Mac-compatible models [other than the RH1] are basically just the RH10 and RH910 with revised firmware [probably just as simple as a different USB device ID], and more importantly

2 - the software on the computer, which is made to interface with the recorders using Sony's proprietary DRM'd protocol.

Technically speaking, all HiMD models could be made Mac-compatible simply by writing the needed software for OS X [firmware updates should not even be necessary]. Sony have decided, however, to limit what models do what and with which software. This makes them more money in the end, as even though the hardware is technically identical [it's the software, the firmware that differs], they can charge more money for it.

Basically, the Mac software distiguishes between what it will and won't allow uploading from. Completely unnecessarily, I might add.

It's a straight-up money grab in the case of last year's Mac-compatible models, which the RH1 changes.

I noticed that Parallels Workstation, which is in beta and hasn't been fully fleshed out yet, will allow for Mactel boxes to run Win XP at the same time as Mac OSX. In other words, you won't have to reboot like you do with Bootcamp. I was reading the other day that you will be able to copy and paste files from one OS to the other just by switching your OS. The XP apps, according to those who have played around with this a bit, run at the same speed you would expect for an XP box with a similar configuration. So, at least from a sound file import point of view, a dual OS box like this should make it relatively easy to get wav files out of XP and into whatever Mac app you want.

Of course, it would be rather ridiculous to buy XP just so you could run Sonic Stage on your Mac box, but for those of us who have to have XP to do our job, this might be an option, at least for wav import.

Did anyone notice in the MDcenter.nl review of the MZ-RH1 the comments on Mac compatibility?

With the “Hi-MD Music Transfer For Mac version 1.0” software however a lot more is possible. With this not only can you upload your own PCM recordings and export to WAV, but also Hi-SP and Hi-LP recordings can be uploaded and exported to WAV format.

What is more it will also be possible to transfer wave (PCM) and MP3 files from the MAC to Hi-MD in order to play these back. The only thing that is lacking is the possibility to transfer ATRAC3Plus files natively to MD. The software will not therefore be a MAC version of Sonic Stage, but will come close to having a lot of the functionality that Sonic Stage has on board. In any case the most important functions are present. The Mac software will be available from Summer 2006 via the Sony support page (www.sonydigital-link.com). It is also assumed that the software will be able to be used with first and second generation Hi-MD devices. It is not called “Hi-MD Music transfer” for nothing. Unfortunately this has not yet been confirmed by Sony themselves, therefore it remains an assumption.

Looks like there's a chance that those of us with 1st & 2nd gen Hi-MD may be able to transfer music to them with our Macs. I'm waiting for the SW to show up this summer.

Eric

Did anyone notice in the MDcenter.nl review of the MZ-RH1 the comments on Mac compatibility?

Looks like there's a chance that those of us with 1st & 2nd gen Hi-MD may be able to transfer music to them with our Macs. I'm waiting for the SW to show up this summer.

Eric

If only, but even MD center didn't conferm it...

It is just presumed...