Windows Warning

Rate this topic

Stuge

IPB Image

AT THE LOGIN SCREEN: A message stating ‘This copy of Windows is not genuine’ will be permanently tattooed to the bottom righthand corner of the login screen.

Hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of local PC users running pirated Windows operating systems will soon face the shame of being reminded of their illegal action every time they switch on their machines.

The feature will be added to the operating system by Microsoft Corp from tomorrow and cannot be erased. It will nag the guilty users and can be awkward if it shows up on corporate PCs.

Current users of PCs running pirated Windows will find their machines “tattooed” the next time they update the operating system.

Basically, a message stating “This copy of Windows is not genuine ...” will be permanently affixed to the operating system’s login screen, and a similar message will randomly pop up on the desktop whenever the machine is in use.

The anti-piracy move is being kicked off in five countries tomorrow – the United States, Britain, New Zealand, Australia and Malaysia.

Users whose machines have been affected will only be able to get rid of the tattoo if they install a genuine copy of Windows.

“Or they can put up with being ‘nagged’ by the pop-up message every time they use their computers,” said K.T. Ng, group manager for Windows Client solutions at Microsoft Malaysia.

If they were businessmen or corporate executives, it would be embarrassing if their clients saw the tattoo indicating that a pirated copy of Windows was being used, he said.

According to Ng, the move was aimed at better serving Microsoft’s genuine users.

For example, he said, counterfeiters had been able to reproduce Microsoft product packaging to the point where consumers were unable to tell genuine from imitation.

“The pop-up message would immediately alert consumers to counterfeit copies of Windows, such as when they buy a new notebook or PC,” he said.

If a user has unknowingly received an illegal copy of the operating system, he will be able to report the vendor concerned by clicking on the “Get Genuine” button at the login screen.

Machines that have been tattooed will still be able to receive software updates for the operating system, but will not be allowed to download Internet Explorer 7.0 (IE7) and Windows Defender.

IE7 is the new, more secure version of Microsoft’s web browser while Windows Defender is an anti-spyware program.

source

Edited by stuge

Will the message bother the pirates? Hell no. :) The pirates and most users won't even care, as long as the OS still works. People in 3rd world countries won't bother, as long as they bought the pirated software for cheap, and it can run pirated MS office and games. Oh, and how long until somebody managed to put a workaround for this? :D Besides, pirated version most often is the corporate version, which might have more relaxed restrictions (such as no activation needed).

I wonder if the get free genuine WinXP that MS did is still running. The user will be shocked when he/she found out that they have to pay at least $90 to get the genuine software. "WTF? $90? I'll live with this nag screen."

Microsoft can kiss my ass. I've wasted so many hours on the phone with them reactivating my legitimate copies of XP. The most recent go decided that after installing SP2 my system hardware had changed requiring yet another activation. But this time the activation failed (no idea why) leaving my system in a completely screwed state requiring a 3RD reformat in 6 months. All in all the time I've spent reformatting and calling their activation support people amounts to 20-30 hours in 6 months. I should send them a bill.

2 simple words that will sort the problem...

(Linux & Mac)

I would use linux If my computer wasn't a laptop (that came with XP home) so I don't have to worry about it... Lol

If I ever get another computer, It will be a Mac! :lol: (I have windows)

Edit:

Its here...

IPB Image

(Thats just plane stupid... Just uncheck the box!)

Edited by danielbb90

So there is an advantage, after all.

Windows defender is compleatly useless....

It shows you the spyware but can't do anything about it (tryes to uninstall it but failes)

Well atleast it does with mine...

And when I swiched to spybot it found 1173... GRRR... (No cookies... Just adware, spyware...) - What on earth had I been dooin'?

Its useless

Edited by danielbb90

2 simple words that will sort the problem...

(Linux & Mac)

LOL you're joking right? First of all neither of those solve the problem. The first ends you up in a completely different world of computers. The second ends you up in hell because Macs suck and you can't do anything with them 'cause they blow, lol.

I'd probably buy two copies of Windows XP to avoid being cruelly and unusually punished by having to use Mac OS for even 1 minute. And I'm in no way joking. Apple software? Noooo sir. No thank you. Macs are garbage, IMO.

As for this Windows piracy warning/nag; we can see that it's pretty easy to bypass/avoid already. Also there will probably be a crack for this, if one is or ever becomes necessary, very quickly.

LOL you're joking right? First of all neither of those solve the problem. The first ends you up in a completely different world of computers. The second ends you up in hell because Macs suck and you can't do anything with them 'cause they blow, lol.

I'd probably buy two copies of Windows XP to avoid being cruelly and unusually punished by having to use Mac OS for even 1 minute. And I'm in no way joking. Apple software? Noooo sir. No thank you. Macs are garbage, IMO.

As for this Windows piracy warning/nag; we can see that it's pretty easy to bypass/avoid already. Also there will probably be a crack for this, if one is or ever becomes necessary, very quickly.

I wasn't jokeing... :lol:

But I would move to a Mac as soon I could use My MZ-NH1 on one or if I got another MD plater that would work on a Mac...

Linux, I wouldn't use as quickly, but its an option (a free one)

I guess its just what people prefer... :ok:

Boy am I glad I have 2000. With a real key, of course. I'll be willing to bet 5 of the 1GB MDs that someone will hack or disable this within a month, if not because I'd win so easily.

You know, I think that it would be more effective if Bill Gates posed on TV with his wife and kids (if any), asking people to please buy real Windows products. And offer a free homemade oatmeal cookie with each purchase. "Windows and cookies. Made with love, from our family to yours."

Edited by Syrius

fscking A! hatred much. i can totally picture what's next on the list: a vendetta on Steve Jobs

but hey, whatever floats yer boat. i guess when the word "Apple" is used, I can definitely expect a backlash; and it aint pretty.

but I digress...

Microsoft can kiss my ass. I've wasted so many hours on the phone with them reactivating my legitimate copies of XP. The most recent go decided that after installing SP2 my system hardware had changed requiring yet another activation. But this time the activation failed (no idea why) leaving my system in a completely screwed state requiring a 3RD reformat in 6 months. All in all the time I've spent reformatting and calling their activation support people amounts to 20-30 hours in 6 months. I should send them a bill.

I have done numerous online activations without a single problem. One time I have to make a phone call, the machine on the phone gave me a new key right away, and it's toll free. Of course, activation has been defeated long time ago, and there is always corporate version. :)

Boy am I glad I have 2000. With a real key, of course. I'll be willing to bet 5 of the 1GB MDs that someone will hack or disable this within a month, if not because I'd win so easily.

You know, I think that it would be more effective if Bill Gates posed on TV with his wife and kids (if any), asking people to please buy real Windows products. And offer a free homemade oatmeal cookie with each purchase. "Windows and cookies. Made with love, from our family to yours."

Yeah, win2k is great. Problem is, the hardware side are evolving beyond the OS's capability. Just take hyperthreading for example, which is not fully supported in win2k.

Before, I used to side with the pirates. However, now I see that those people that were bitching of the OS being too "expensive" were simply liars. My friend willfully bought 3 copies of World of Warcraft ($50 each), and paid the monthly bill, but refused to get a real copy of windows because it's too "expensive." Another friend said the same thing, and he has a big house and 3 cars (1 is a Prius, and he paid full sticker price). Of course, both people mentioned above insisted that they MUST have WinXP pro, although they only use it for games and email. People in 3rd world countries, yes, I can understand if they pirate because of the price. But c'mon, if you cannot buy the upgrade version, or cannot "afford" the full version, there is always OEM version.

Still, it wouldn't hurt if MS reduce the price a little bit. I wonder how the pricing scheme will be with the multiple flavors of Vista (I couldn't imagine how much the ultimate version will be).

SO; how BAD IS THIS TATTOO GONNA BE !! oh excuse the caps!

is it gonna be THAT annoying; like every cute girl on the east coast has that fweakin tattoo just above her a**; now that's annoying!

is this tattoo gonna be like those annoying logos on the bottom right of the TV screen that annoys me to no limit?

will the world come to an end? or will i survive this.

well, since Sony is NOT gonna release a Hi-MD deck; i guess maybe i should buy ..... NO!!!!

i heard XP is gonna be out dated!!!! the next generation microsofe will not be compatable with most oldies; moldies; scoldies; maybe i will keep the "Tattoo" until Microsoft stops using the same restroom as Sony-Baloney; they seem to shard adjacent stalls!

Edited by rayzray

SO; how BAD IS THIS TATTOO GONNA BE !! oh excuse the caps!

is it gonna be THAT annoying; like every cute girl on the east coast has that fweakin tattoo just above her a**; now that's annoying!

is this tattoo gonna be like those annoying logos on the bottom right of the TV screen that annoys me to no limit?

will the world come to an end? or will i survive this.

well, since Sony is NOT gonna release a Hi-MD deck; i guess maybe i should buy ..... NO!!!!

i heard XP is gonna be out dated!!!! the next generation microsofe will not be compatable with most oldies; moldies; scoldies; maybe i will keep the "Tattoo" until Microsoft stops using the same restroom as Sony-Baloney; they seem to shard adjacent stalls!

Its bound to be annoying... otherwise it woulden't be that usefull for what it does... :lol:

Plus its Microsoft, what els can you expect...

AH HA HA HA! Microsoft should also make an update that urges you to click on a link if you are doing drugs or committing a felony, in order to have the authorities process you and modelate you into a good citizen of the world. God. I'm reminded of Demolition Man and their idiot society.

Oh man. I have just violated the Verbal Morality Statute. I am being fined with a couple of credits. I'll go get a Rat Burger to wash away the bad tasted. LOL.

soooo; i'm trying to grasp this.

as long as you DON'T opt to update; you are fine? no or yes.

it you don't update; the do you get the "Tattoo" or,, only if you are "Caught".

is this a "Deal or No Deal" Clone? Zone in a minute; Loan me a Bone to throw at the fone-ies!

soooo; i'm trying to grasp this.

as long as you DON'T opt to update; you are fine? no or yes.

it you don't update; the do you get the "Tattoo" or,, only if you are "Caught".

is this a "Deal or No Deal" Clone? Zone in a minute; Loan me a Bone to throw at the fone-ies!

Yup :lol:

Whats Deal or No Deal? :blink:

it's the LATEST game show here in the USA of un-amaericans. matter of fact ; it's on right at this moment.

soooo, Microsoft is asking us; (Deal or No Deal); admit you are a thief; or what are they gonna do if we "Don't".

I'm running a "legit" copy of XP=Pro, with only selected upgrades and no service pacs, so I would go no-deal. I don't like the idea that windoze can tell me what upgrades I have yp get, let me as an intelligent adult make the choice of what upgrades I want. I don't use IE oe outlook which 99.9823526 % of the updates are for anyway so what!!

As for the people who have a so so copy, so so what, let ososoft bring out a resonably priced os with reasonable capabilities that people can tailer to their expertise levels, and all will be well. kind of sounds like linux, no!

so much for this rant

be good,

Bob

Before this latest insult from Windows, I've had that activation tool screw up on my (genuine) copy of XP Pro, though luckily the (user) support forums had a fix. Can't wait until MS starts tattooing legitimate users as thieves. What did they do, hire the old SonicStage team?

In my opinion (since I am seeing some flaming about Mac OS), Windows and OSX really appeal to different crowds. So all in all it really depends on what you use computers for as to what OS would better suit your needs.

Personally for music projects, graphic design, photography, and video editing (i work alot with these) I tend to prefer to use our Mac G5. I have tried these same tasks on WinXP (faster processor too) and found that for these projects the G5 is much more reliable and faster.

Like I said, it all depends on what I am working on as to which OS I prefer. Personally I am way more familiar with Windows OS, and just within the past 2 years have been working with a Mac. But I will say that even with all of this in consideration, I trust the Mac more when it comes to working with Audio/Visual projects. For everything else windows works fine for me. I even do some Audio editing on Windows as well from time to time, but I always have a backup copy on our Mac. ;)

always passed the other windows verification. i have this serial on two computers, one of which is an old, fairly unused box.

i own 5 xp computers, 3 serials, all oems but with original disks.

should've the "Tattoo" shown up yet for me in the USA?

i could be part of a "Group" of XP installed my by piano student.

he doesn't seem to be concerned that i will get the "Tattoo"; i don't understand.

actually i am "willing" to buy a version; but why if you don't have to.

i could buy an RH1 with that money; or, a portrait of myself kissing the "mirror".

anyways; the question is: should everyone have their "tattoo" by now?

Edited by rayzray

well; i don't up-date ANYTHING; even SS; Roxio; Foxio and Moxio (j/k) on the latter two.

i was told by my piano student to "Turn OFF the up-date" feature in my Control Panel.

so, that's sufficient enough until the "Geeks" reek havock with havock and come up with the Remedy.