DRM, and transferring files from SS 3.2 to 3.4

Rate this topic

Kevin J

Hi All,

I'm about to update to SS ver 3.4 from ver 3.2. I have about 30 tunes in "My Library" that were recorded on my RH910 and transferred into SS 3.2. My question is this: is there anything I can do to "un-DRM" the tunes that were transferred under ver 3.2?, ... so that I can have the full non-DRM access to these old files.

I know the whole DRM thing has been freed up in ver 3.4, but I wasn't sure how that impacts files created in older versions of SS.

I have not updated yet so if there's something I should do to the files in My Library BEFORE I actually update to 3.4 I'd like to know.

Thx in advance!

~ peace, Kevin J

Multiple answers to this question, with a simple preface: if you upgrade by installing 3.4 over 3.2, the files will be accessible as-is. As with all recommendations about upgrading, I'd still suggest using the SS backup tool BEFORE doing so, just in case.

Answer #1 - transcode the files in SS to the same as their original bitrate, with the "copy protection" box UNchecked. This creates duplicates of the tracks as they are [in the "optimized files" folder] but without DRM.

Answer #2 - export the tracks as WAV, back them up elsewhere in an open, non-DRM'd format, and re-import the tracks when you need them.

In either case, there's no need to do this before upgrading as 3.4 will give you the same options you currently have.

In either case, there's no need to do this before upgrading as 3.4 will give you the same options you currently have.

Thx for the info, dex. I've successfully updated to 3.4 and my old files are intact.

One quick follow-up question: Now that I'm running ver 3.4 is there anything I need to do, as far as settings, to ensure that all future recordings will have no DRM restrictions, or check-in/check-out nonsense?. Or is SS 3.4 set in "non-DRM mode" as a default?

~ peace, Kevin J.

One quick follow-up question: Now that I'm running ver 3.4 is there anything I need to do, as far as settings, to ensure that all future recordings will have no DRM restrictions, or check-in/check-out nonsense?. Or is SS 3.4 set in "non-DRM mode" as a default?

I know this likely won't make sense, but the reality is: SS still applies DRM to all tracks you upload from any recorder. You can remove the DRM easily post-upload, but DRM is still on the tracks during and after upload.

Check-in/check-out has not been in effect for quite some time.

There is effectively no DRM on uploaded tracks, in any case. The DRM applies only to the original uploaded copies within SS itself.

Whew!...how confusing! I must really have the wrong slant on the whole DRM thing. When 3.4 was released everyone was happily exclaiming, "Finally, no DRM restrictions"...so I assumed that DRM was now a non-issue, but apparently not.

You wrote:

You can remove the DRM easily post-upload, but DRM is still on the tracks during and after upload.

How does one remove DRM post-upload?

Also, I'm a bit puzzled by your statements that:

SS still applies DRM to all tracks you upload from any recorder

but yet,

there is effectively no DRM on uploaded tracks

In my mind the two statements seems at odds with other (?)

Thx for taking the time to walk me through this.

~ peace, Kevin J

How does one remove DRM post-upload?

Scroll back up and read my first reply in this thread.

Also, I'm a bit puzzled by your statements that:

In my mind the two statements seems at odds with other (?)

The key word there was "effectively," as in - even though there is DRM, it's very easily circumvented and/or gotten rid of altogether. Ergo, there is effectively no DRM.

Or use "Sonicstage File Conversion Tool" (Tools Menu) and uncheck ADD DRM. This will convert all your drm-ed files at once.

Does the SS conversion tool work on encrypted/DRM'd atrac3plus files that are already in the library? I thought it was for converting MP3s and such only.

Does the SS conversion tool work on encrypted/DRM'd atrac3plus files that are already in the library? I thought it was for converting MP3s and such only.

No it's made to convert old 'omg' files to oma, but I found out it strips off DRM of all your oma files too. Tons of files in a few steps if you like :)

Edited by fishstyc

No it's made to convert old 'omg' files to oma, but I found out it strips off DRM of all your oma files too. Tons of files in a few steps if you like :)

I've got a question about this action, do you think it's doing a conversion again of the oma files, or does it only remove the DRM?

thanks for the info.

I've got a question about this action, do you think it's doing a conversion again of the oma files, or does it only remove the DRM?

thanks for the info.

I haven't tested this, but my assumption [which could be wrong] is that the conversion tool will behave the same as SS itself does; if you try to convert a track to the same as its original bitrate, with the "add copy protection" option turned off, it simply makes a new copy of the track, sans-DRM.

You'll be able to tell if it's actually transcoding, too: SS "converting" using the above method flies through the tracks you've told it to convert. If it's transcoding, it will take [obvious] time to do so.