Apple Lossless vs. ATRAC3 and RH-1

Rate this topic

aminadab

Hi, great forum. I've three questions. I've searched this forum but didn't find what I was looking for.

1. What's the highest rate I can rip ATRAC3plus files at? I use reference headphones and an ipod now. Some of Itunes' encoding gets messy at times. I'm hoping sony's is better.

2. Given that I want a unit to replace my ipod because I'm going to sample/record (music and lectures), is the Rh-1 the way to go? It seems I sony's ATRAC3plus can give me cd quality and the Rh1 will have a much better amplifier for playback. True?

3. Does anyone have an idea when the Rh1 is coming out in the states? I can't wait to enter the world of MD. My friend swore by one in college and I was always impressed.

Thanks

2. Given that I want a unit to replace my ipod because I'm going to sample/record (music and lectures), is the Rh-1 the way to go? It seems I sony's ATRAC3plus can give me cd quality and the Rh1 will have a much better amplifier for playback. True?

The only thing that will get you CD quality is ripping lossless (Linear PCM), or recording the same way. Sony's playback (and recording) quality certainly doesn't seem to be any worse than any others on the market (crappy earbuds notwithstanding), and quite likely a whole lot better.

Put simply, Hi-MD is best for recording. If you are concerned about quality and eliminating compression artifacts, consider recording/ripping in linear PCM.

For the question "Apple Lossless or Atrac3?", Atrac3 is a compression with loss in the audio (even it´s small in 256 or 352) but can´t compete with lossless that gives CD quality back, but some friends that have IPODS told me that Apple Lossless is not gapless (same as MP3), so it´s an issue you must know.