Equipment recommendations

Rate this topic

Hey, guys. In September, I plan to purchase all of the equipment necessary to record a live concert. After reading the Live Recording Usage Faqs, I have somewhat of an understand as to what I will need. (An MD recorder; of course, a microphone, a blank MD; another no brainer, and an attenuator) However, I'm still in the dark when it comes to which equipment is best for what I'll be using it for, as well as worth my money. I'll have a strict budget of around 500 dollars by then, and I plan to use as much of that as necessary to get the best equipment possible. I'll admit it, I'm a perfectionist. Music is my passion, and while it's the fact that I'll even have a recording at all is what counts, I'd still love to be able to get each and every recording I make to come out as perfect as humanly possible. Any help whatsoever is greatly appreciated!

atrain: I'm not sure what the band's policy is on recording their shows. Honestly, I'm more worried about what the venues I will be attending policies are, so stealth.

Tiesto: Thank you for your recommendations. I will look into those.

Roamer: The band I'm looking forward to recording the most is HIM. The genre of music they play has been coined as "love metal".

I guess you're in the USA, in which you have several mics retaillers : Giant Squid, Church Audio, Core Sound, Sound Preofessionals + some are posting here in the retailing section ...

Depending on the mic, with metal genre, you might be able to go direct line-in without attenuator (not with the ECM719). In any case, you should do some test recordings (with similar bands) in advance, as this is likely that the first recording will go wrong ...

The ECM 719 will not give you deep realistic bass or the clearest highs because its frequency response is 100-15,000 Hz, not 20-20,000 Hz like your ears or your prospective MD recorder. It's also directional/cardioid, which is a matter of taste.

Look at Sound Professionals for mics. I prefer omni/binaurals because they sound more natural and give you better sound quality for the price. I've made some fine recordings with the BMC-2, but if you have a little more to spend then try the ones with Audio-Technica capsules or get the CMC-4 with omni capsules (they're listed under cardioids but have interchangeable screw-in capsules).

Although I still like the attenuator for some occasions, for seriously loud music get a battery module like this one, which will make your mics perform better and eliminate some background noise:

http://www.microphonemadness.com/products/mmcbmminminc.htm

Your budget should work like this:

$300 for RH1

$100 for mics

$50 for battery module

and the rest for discs.

Listen to the live recordings in the Gallery and to hear how it works in real life.

Your budget should work like this:

$300 for RH1

$100 for mics

$50 for battery module

and the rest for discs.

again A440 saves the day :P

no really, that is some good advice there, but perhaps $300 for the RH1 is a bit hopeful (still going for a 'bit' more, but price will drop with the international releases)

also, if you have some soldering skills, be sure to check greenmachine's DIY mic and battery-box project (the link is in my signature) as this gives you mics of equal to more than BMC2 quality for ... well, almost no money really

I have recorded some great stuff with them as well (also really loud sh*t like 'the bloodbrothers' and 'mogwai'...)

If you don't want to spend all that money or invest more in external gear, you could get a NH700 or NHF800 instead for a much better price. Recording quality shouldn't be any worse with these. They have the advantage of using AA batteries.

still the RH1 is more practical for stealth recording IMHO:

- remembers manual setting

- has that great OLED on the side

so if you can spare the money and want to go for the top model... go RH1

still they are right, the NH700/800 are very good as well