Best MD for professional recording

Rate this topic

goodieboy

HI,

To be honest I'm completely overwhelmed by all of the choices of portable recorders. I'm mostly into MD. I've looked at some of the newer Sonys and like them a lot. However I still don't know which is the best for really good recording. I'd like to have a built in audio limiter if possible, optical in, and usb transfer. I used to own an MD about 5 years ago, but so much has changed. Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks a lot for your help and this great web site!!!!

Matt

Quality-wise you would definitely want to go for a Hi-MD model, most of the mid/high-end models have line/optical input as well as Mic-input, and can record in uncompressed PCM (44.1hz, 16bit). Also only Hi-MD models will allow you to upload recordings from Hi-MD>PC. As far as a limiter, all models with recording capabilities have AGC (though I never use it because it tends to mess with the levels too much).

Have a look at the models here: http://www.minidisc.org/himd_table.html

Hello and welcome to the forums!

I would recommend you the new MZ-RH1. It's the newest model of Himd portable recorders and it should be available in a pair of months I think (maybe less). In Japan it is already available since two weeks ago aprox. I don't know if this unit has any improvement in recording quality (compared to recently older models) but surely it has amazing new recording features. It has optical line in, microphone in, usb transfer (to and from the recorder) and line out. I don't know what is exactly an audio limiter so I can't say if it has it or it don't. BTW where do you live? The release date for the mzrh1 depends on the country. Feel free to ask anything else.

Hey thanks to the both of you.

I checked out the MZ-RH1 and it looks pretty nice. I will probably wait for that one, but hopefully it comes out soon. Maybe I can find one on Ebay? I live in the US so who knows how long it'll take? I've also looked at this: http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/microtr...rder-151306.php

But for some reason a MD seems better? Thanks again. I'll probably be posting here shortly again!

-matt

Hey thanks to the both of you.

I checked out the MZ-RH1 and it looks pretty nice. I will probably wait for that one, but hopefully it comes out soon. Maybe I can find one on Ebay? I live in the US so who knows how long it'll take? I've also looked at this: http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/microtr...rder-151306.php

But for some reason a MD seems better? Thanks again. I'll probably be posting here shortly again!

-matt

One of the greatest benefits of MD is Low Cost of media. 80 or 74 minute discs are dirt cheap, and 1 gig can be found very cheap if you shop around. What is a 1 gig flash disc worth?

Plus, look at the size of the RH1 compared to the Edirol.

Don't want to start a war of fromats, but for what you need, virtually any hi end MD should do you well, also check minidisc access for some of their first generation bundles.

Good night and good luck,

Bob

are there ANY portable units out there with a limiter? i don't think so. wouldn't you use that in the studio afterwards in real time editing?

it's been a long time for me; but i think you can't go wrong with the RH1.

it very very high on my "candy list"!

Thanks for all of your replies.

I want a limiter built in for those moments where something completely peaks the preamp. I'd rather have nasty limiting than input clipping. But I understand what you are saying. :)

I have completey decided to go with MD and not a flash media recorder. I just like MD's and my old Sony I had years ago never had problems. I really want to go with the MZ-RH1, but I'm not feeling as patient as I should! I'm basically ready to buy NOW! :)

I'm going to go checkout www.soundprofessionals.com right now. Thanks again everyone. Oh, one last question, if not the MZ-RH1... which one?

- Matt

If not the RH1 then save some money and get the NH700, a 2004 model. All Hi-MD's have the same recording quality, and those without a D in the model number all have line-in and optical recording. The NH700 also uses an AA battery (easily replaceable). You can find them for about $125 unopened on Ebay.

With the money you save get a battery module: http://www.microphonemadness.com/products/mmcbmminminc.htm

Record with the battery module through Line-in and forget about clipping worries. The NH700 (like every other Hi-MD) has Auto Gain Control, but for loud sounds you need either a battery module (through line in) or an attenuator (Radio Shack Headphone Volume Control, through Mic-in) to prevent preamp overload.

The 2005 models (RH10, RH910) add mediocre-sounding MP3 playback and subtract realtime recording in old MD modes (SP, LP2, LP4). The 2004 models will record in SP/LP2/LP4 if you want to play back those discs on your old MD. But until the RH1 arrives, only the newer formats (Hi-SP, Hi-LP, PCM) will upload to your computer.

I've also been searching for a new MD unit for field-recording/sampling purposes. When I saw the RH1 I was very impressed. But after a bit of research I decided to get an NH700. What swung it for me was the ability to use AAs. I have a load of high capacity NiMH rechargables that I use with my digicam. Plus it was a lot cheaper! I'll miss the ability to upload my old SP recordings, but for me personally, that isn't worth the extra cash for the RH1.

Now my faithful old MZ-R35 can finally be put to rest!

I've also been searching for a new MD unit for field-recording/sampling purposes. When I saw the RH1 I was very impressed. But after a bit of research I decided to get an NH700. What swung it for me was the ability to use AAs. I have a load of high capacity NiMH rechargables that I use with my digicam. Plus it was a lot cheaper! I'll miss the ability to upload my old SP recordings, but for me personally, that isn't worth the extra cash for the RH1.

You said it.

I like the MZ-NH700's:

*AA capability (indispensable; no pro recorder should be without it, IMO)

*3-line display

*jog dial

Especially at about 1/3 to 1/4 the price of the expected price of the new model (in Australia)

;) To me, the extra capabilities and features on the MZ-RH1 are worth a $100 premium, at most. Which isn't saying much if you *need* them, but for me they're not essential, and definitely not worth the extra you end up paying. I'd rather have multiple older-model units than 1 new one.

Thanks for all of your replies.

I want a limiter built in for those moments where something completely peaks the preamp. I'd rather have nasty limiting than input clipping. But I understand what you are saying. :)

I have completey decided to go with MD and not a flash media recorder. I just like MD's and my old Sony I had years ago never had problems. I really want to go with the MZ-RH1, but I'm not feeling as patient as I should! I'm basically ready to buy NOW! :)

I'm going to go checkout www.soundprofessionals.com right now. Thanks again everyone. Oh, one last question, if not the MZ-RH1... which one?

- Matt

Goddieboy, if you finally buy it from sound professionals, please tell us your impressions

regards

Hey,

I just heard back from SP and they said that Sony said that the unit will ship between May and August. I guess that is summer!

So, I'm still thinking about things...

Can anyone compare the MZ-M100 to the MZ-NH700 ? The MZ-M100 looks great and it says that it's compatible with Macs.

Thanks again :)