Question about NW-A3000 stock phones, E2c & EX71

Rate this topic

Razorback

Hi guys...

Finally i found a way to buy erc and ex71 in a proper way... but of course first i have to decide.. and there is a huge price difference between e2c and ex71. so i have to decide right...

could you please answer my questions in sequence...

1- how much is e2c clearer than the a3000's stock phones? (sound quality)

2- same question for ex71.

3-has e2c higher volume than a3000's stock phones?

4-same question for ex71.

5-if we compare the e2c and the ex71 from the clearence of sound and the loudness of volume point of view, what could you say???

6-which phone is worth to buy according to price/performance??

Thanxxx.. B)

You are over analyzing this again, anything is better than stock phones, except maybe some crappy phones you pick up for 20 bucks.

The shures are more expensive so they will have a better sound than the ex71s for sure, and I quite certain their quality is much better as well. The EX71s are much more comfortable for me than the stock buds and never fall out. the ones that come with the A3000 are a bit too large for me and even though the sound is good, I don't think it is great.

• 2 weeks later...

Expensive does not necessairly mean better. See Bose Trap for more detail. OR try a pair of Grado SR60s to see what I mean.

Becareful with Shures. The E2s are better sounding than the EX71s (but then again...), however, they tend to be very uncomfortable because of their large bulbous driver housing. By contrast, the E3s are very comfortable, but lacks bass and must be compensated with bass strong source or with EQ Bass Boost.

Again, just to point out, expensive != better.

From the pics, I believe the A3000 comes with the E931, which is pretty good itself and shouldn't be dismissed just because it's a stock bud. I would use it first before tossing it out just because it's a stock bud.

• 5 weeks later...

I've got the NW-A3000, and i am really amazed at the stock buds, but i thought since i got this decent mp3 player that sounds awesome stock, i would see what it could do with some apparently "musicans" headphones.

now im very picky with sound, and thats why i ditched my ipod mini becuase of the aweful, tinny, sound with no bass and bass distortion.

anywho, i bought the Shure e2c, and im being deadly serious when i say this, the shure's sound exactly, and i mean exactly the same.

now, with the higher bitrate soungs the treble was slightly more pronounced, but some bits of the music just stuck out way too much and sounded un-natural.

i have an old pair of ex-71 headfones knocking about from when i had my ipod, and although the right channel has blown, i stuck in the left channel and i how can i put this... they sound absolutely crap.. lol.

with inner-ear buds i have come to conclustion that you pay for the inner-ear part, and to get decent sound quality decent £££ needs to be spent. this is due to the size more than likely, and the noise cancelling features.

im going to have a look and normal earbuds, see what else is on offer, and the audio technicas titaniums have caught my eye, but then again after testing the so called muscians headphones i am less than convinced. especially as the e2c's really are hard to keep in the ear.

MiG

• 1 month later...

I bought a pair of ex71's to go with my nw-e407 and to be honest i wasn't too impressed. Bass was good, but mid range and treble practically non-existent. I have now gone back to the stock phones that came with the player, and to be honest the sound quality is far much better. Reasonable bass and good mid range and treble. I think I will stick to these for now. I bought the nw-e405 for my girlfriend and hers were supplied with not so good an earphone as my nw-e407. Listening to both players, I could tell my buds were far better sounding than hers. Obviously I didn't tell her that, lol. As for not fitting in the ear and falling out of the ear, I guess it just depends on the shape and size of the ear, my ones fit fine.

Guest Stuge

I bought the nw-e405 for my girlfriend and hers were supplied with not so good an earphone as my nw-e407. Listening to both players, I could tell my buds were far better sounding than hers. Obviously I didn't tell her that, lol. As for not fitting in the ear and falling out of the ear, I guess it just depends on the shape and size of the ear, my ones fit fine.

Hey ,Both E407 & 405 are supplied with same earphones i.e MDR-E931..then how can you find the difference b/w both?? :unsure::unsure::blink:

Guest Stuge

no! i bought both players from the sony shop at the same time. my e407 came with the e931, but the e405 came with what look like i had bundled in with my old minidisc. the standard sub-standard earbuds :o .

Oh! Can you give us model number ???

I must admit the e931's are very good earphones. However, I guess mine have worn out since august, since compared to them, the brand new ones have a much wider sound separation and bass response.

E931 are good but they are uncomfortable for many people ...If you want one i can give you as i have Three pairs of E931. :)

Guest Stuge

That would be great! But I live in Canada... how much would shipping cost?

I have just checked one of my E931 & found one is not working, amazing i never used any of my E931.

So now I have One left with Full string & one left which came with E505 .(both are working )

ALso check your PM box

I got these specs off the net, Can you believe they want $30.95 US dollars for this piece of crap. Now compare with the specs for the MDR-E931's

MDR-E808 FONTOPIA HEADPHONE

Fontopia ear bud headphones

Drive units: 1.3 cm diameter

Frequency response: 50Hz-20,000Hz

MDR-E931

10-23000 hz

108 db

16mm driver

sattc

Why couldn't Sony supply the MDR-E931 with all models?

post-6863-1123633368_thumb.jpgMDR-ED21LP....has anyone tried these? the frequency response looks promising, 8-23.000. mdr-ex71's go down to 6hz which is low. the ed21's are only 2hz higher. alot of the sony ear buds go from around 16hz to 22hz. the ed21's are a cross between the canal phone and the fontopia.

post-6863-1123633368_thumb.jpgMDR-ED21LP....has anyone tried these? the frequency response looks promising, 8-23.000. mdr-ex71's go down to 6hz which is low. the ed21's are only 2hz higher. alot of the sony ear buds go from around 16hz to 22hz. the ed21's are a cross between the canal phone and the fontopia.

The ED21 is actually an old design. Sony used to use this design in the late 90s, even for stock buds. It was called "groove." I have the cousin on this model, the ED238, that has been discontinued. Yes, this model is best/worst of both worlds. The extended canal gives more bass, but there's no isolation. I actually find the groove design very comfortable. :)

These are still current on the sony uk website. they must still be popular. do the stay in the ear or fall out easily like fontopias, and is the bass good? they seem to have a similiar frequency response to the mdr-931's.

• 8 months later...