Minidisc.org was hacked!

Webmaster

Sincere apologies -- Minidisc.org was hacked on Wednesday May 3 through a bug in the Invision forums. The hacker sent mail inviting users to download and run a program that infects their PC; once infected the program allows the PC to be remotely controlled. +++ See http://research.sunbelt-software.com/threa...&threatid=43801 for further information about the infection. We sincerely apologize for this lapse. We have updated the Invision forum software and believe we have disinfected our server. If you have received an email of the form:

Our new application.

Just check it out:

http:// ... loadadv598.exe

please do not follow the link!

If you have inadvertently done this, please contact us.

Eric Woudenberg

Christopher MacManus

Yup. I inadvertently opened the file. Symantec anti-virus caught it and destroyed it. But it disabled the Windows Firewall and made it impossible to launch the firewall. I followed all the recommendations from Symantec, and re-installed Windows XP Pro. My machine is completely cleaned now.

i think i didn't recieve the email...

or i deleted and didn't notice... :P

Anyways, most of this "hackerz" that use "bugz" in web-appz aren't "hackerz" at all...

just "kids" playing around with someone else's work... :angry:

of course, i donnot know if we are facing that situacion.

it's good to have it under control. B)

cheerz! :ok:

Sincere apologies -- Minidisc.org was hacked on Wednesday May 3 through a bug in the Invision forums. The hacker sent mail inviting users to download and run a program that infects their PC; once infected the program allows the PC to be remotely controlled. +++ See http://research.sunbelt-software.com/threa...&threatid=43801 for further information about the infection. We sincerely apologize for this lapse. We have updated the Invision forum software and believe we have disinfected our server. If you have received an email of the form:

Our new application.

Just check it out:

Eric Woudenberg

Christopher MacManus

Yeah. I downloaded it and Norton caught it but I cannot run my windows firewall. What do I do? I ran norton antivirus and it says I am clear of viruses and spyware. Am I?

There are still active links to this trojan floating around in the forums from people quoting the e-mail they received. The forum administrators need to edit or delete these posts!!!

Guy

I feel like a retard...but I opend the link.....and my win firwall is fucked....pisses me off....I guess I wanted some new Minidisc software....damn it! is there a way to fix the firewall problem without having to reinstall windows?

I feel like a retard...but I opend the link.....and my win firwall is fucked....pisses me off....I guess I wanted some new Minidisc software....damn it! is there a way to fix the firewall problem without having to reinstall windows?

Well I was clever enough not to click on the link B)

so I have not got the problem, but you could try to install the free version of Zonelab firewall and the anti-spyware program CounterSpy (not free - I am not sure if the freeware anti-spyware programs are as effective as CounterSpy) - it's also let you see all processes going on your pc and registry and startup programs are also controlled by you via CounterSpy and then add a anti-virus program also ...good luck :rolleyes:

My virus scanner got the virus straight away...and it's gone....and I have a hardware firewall anyway so I don't care about winfirewall....winfirewall can be a pain if you can't adjust the settings....i.e. when sharing meida over my network with my xbox and other pc the firewall my be a problem!

And to be fair....the message came from a source which I trusted....they have sent us info about new software in the past!

Edited by Teralus

There is absolutely no reason for not having an anti-virus program

Get the superb free version of AVG from

http://free.grisoft.com

I have the paid-for version of AVG and it's ace!

Doesn't take over your entire system like the Norton, Symantec and McAffee ones seem to. Ever tried uninstalling one of those?

What all you Smug people don't understand is that even if you have a virus scanner the virus can do damage....I have one ....and it spotted the file as soon as I clicked on the file...but the damage was done! Firewall setting can now not be adjusted!

Edited by Teralus

What all you Smug people don't understand is that even if you have a virus scanner the virus can do damage....I have one ....and it spotted the file as soon as I clicked on the file...but the damage was done! Firewall setting can now not be adjusted!

have you tried a system restore teralus?

i think the t**ts who did this have ben targeting all the message boards they could find that have a similar exploit... i recieved similar emails from 3 msg boards i am a member of... good job i noticed and deleted them all before i looked at them...

have you tried a system restore teralus?

Great advice...problem fixed....did a system restore back to May 3!!! Thanks.....just a word to those that may think that the virus is fixed because AVG or whatever spotted it...go to control panel and try and adjust your windows firewall settings....if it comes up with an error...you will need to fix it! System restore back to may 3! Not being able to adjust your firewall can be a pain even if you don't use winfirewall!

Our new application.

Just check it out:

Eric Woudenberg

Christopher MacManus

Yes i did click on the link. what do I do now? I run Norton Internet security 2006 as well as Microsoft Windows Defender. Do you know if these protect from the threat?

That's why (and this is not the only reason…) I use a MAC machine !! :beach:

Yes, first, I thought it was from the minidisc community. But download an .exe app without safe-control ?! This is not serious.

… And finally, too big for something true

Hope we'll get soon the Sony App on a Mac or something else to get PCM tracks using USB !!!

Keep the fingers crossed.

change your password just to be safe, but it wasn't an individual email it was using the mass mailer that sends to all members who ticked the receive email from admin in profile

Just to clear up a minor point, Win IE (WinIE) also populates a warning menu to caution against opening executable files. But some people (me) won't take "no" for an answer. :wacko:

I tried it unsuccessfully three times until I changed my profile to "Administrator" then it obligingly executed the file. Luckily Symantic caught it and saved my skin! :D

i had done the sames as you guys, the firewall spat it, re-installed xp back over the top firewall works, but now i cant get my desktop pictures to show, change or nothing. no sign of an infection....... just a tad annoying. :unsure::angry:

anyone else have had simular probs?????

any suggestions

thanks

chris