Sony Hi-MD Walkman MZ-RH1 Pictorial

Rate this topic

gallery_5220_240_2491.jpg

MZ-RH1

I present to you all my black MZ-RH1. If time permits, I shall update the thread with a review accordingly. Meanwhile, enjoy the pictures. 🙂

OBSERVATIONS:

HD Amp: MZ-RH1 vs. MZ-NH1/MZ-EH1

The RH1's HD Amp is supposed to be more efficient than previous HD Amp so to speak but I am unable to discern any significant difference at my end; although the MZ-RH1’s HD Amp appears a little warmer but very miniscule as a whole to conclude any absolute difference. (Note: Test conducted with the MDR-SA5000 and various Sonny Rollins titles at ATRAC3plus 352kbps respectively)

Notes on Battery Life: read post #39

NOTES:

1. Bundled software:

- SonicStage 3.4 CD | Version 3.4.02.14020

- MD Simple Burner | Version 2.0.0.25150

- Hi-MD Music Transfer 1.0

2. MZ-R910’s charging stand was used for the photo shoot.

gallery_5220_240_83256.jpg  gallery_5220_240_15166.jpg

gallery_5220_240_182615.jpg  gallery_5220_240_132479.jpg

gallery_5220_240_145973.jpg  gallery_5220_240_59031.jpg

gallery_5220_240_80391.jpg  gallery_5220_240_81712.jpg

gallery_5220_240_93273.jpg

gallery_5220_240_56295.jpg

gallery_5220_240_18521.jpg

gallery_5220_240_117884.jpg

gallery_5220_240_57848.jpg

gallery_5220_240_108961.jpg

gallery_5220_240_106263.jpg

The Remote | RM-MC35ELK

gallery_5220_240_40407.jpg

USB-AC Power Adaptor | AC-S508U

gallery_5220_240_73366.jpg

Size Comparison | RH1-NH1-RH10

gallery_5220_240_17706.jpg

gallery_5220_240_156759.jpg

gallery_5220_240_87875.jpg

gallery_5220_240_102725.jpg

gallery_5220_240_30131.jpg

gallery_5220_240_118060.jpg

gallery_5220_240_188027.jpg

Nice pictures! Also nice to see the first picture of the AC-adapter with USB-connector. Also very nice close-ups.

Did you try powering the NH1 or RH10 via the AC-adapter of the RH1? I tried something similar with my batterypack but I failed to get those 2 models to start charging or operating on USB power. I only got sometimes the "PC-->MD" message in the display.

Edited by MDfreak

Nice pictures! Also nice to see the first picture of the AC-adapter with USB-connector. Also very nice close-ups.

Did you try powering the NH1 or RH10 via the AC-adapter of the RH1? I tried something similar with my batterypack but I failed to get those 2 models to start charging or operating on USB power. I only got sometimes the "PC-->MD" message in the display.

Thanks! :) I have not coupled the USB-AC Adaptor with either the NH1 or the RH10. I suspect it will not work due to difference in each unit’s respective power requirement.

Thanks! :) I have not coupled the USB-AC Adaptor with either the NH1 or the RH10. I suspect it will not work due to difference in each unit's respective power requirement.

Excellent pictures as always Ishii - worth the wait ;)

As Ishii says the USB charge will not likely work with the NH1 becuase this doesn't have a standard USB connector - the RH10 does but requires a different voltage input for the Ni-MH battery.

Great pictorial. It's nice to see the little details and comparison to other well-known units. The battery door doesn't look as flimsy anymore.

Sweet! Review please. :D Things that a lot of people would probably want to know/confirm:

-3 line display support on the 40ELK

-No track title on the unit's OLED

-Proper MP3 playback

-The experience of uploading legacy SP

Well the first 3 I think we already confirmed in Marck's review at MDCenter.nl, but I guess if you want re-confirmation that nothing has changed between the preview and retail models, Ishii is the man to ask ;)

Sweet! Review please. :D

Thanks! ;)

-3 line display support on the 40ELK

Three line display on the RM-MC40ELK works with the MZ-RH1 but you won't get the same exclusive three line "Artist/Album/Track" info display as shown below (RM-MC40ELK being paired with the MZ-NH1).

IPB Image

-No track title on the unit's OLED

-Proper MP3 playback

Unfortunately, there is no track title info on the unit's OLED display. Perhaps, Sony engineers will provide an update to this issue in the near future. Note: the official MZ-RH1 release has firmware v1.0.

After some thorough listening test, I can say with certainty that I can discern SQ difference between Mp3 playback on both my RH10 and RH1. Just as Marck has confirmed in his brilliant review at Mdcenter.nl, we can safely say that Sony engineers has resolved the Mp3 playback problem which is apparent on 2nd generation Hi-MD units.

-The experience of uploading legacy SP

Uploading legacy SP tracks is relatively fast in my opinion. My time test was based on a SP track of 5:50 min [Yunus Guvenen Kiss100: August 29, 2003 / Closer Musik / Departures (Kompakt)].

1. Import to ATRAC3plus 256kbps - approx. 75 seconds
  2. Import to PCM - approx. 60 seconds

Thanks! ;)

Three line display on the RM-MC40ELK works with the MZ-RH1 but you won't get the same exclusive three line "Artist/Album/Track" info display as shown below (RM-MC40ELK being paired with the MZ-NH1).

IPB Image

Uploading legacy SP tracks is relatively fast in my opinion. My time test was based on a SP track of 5:50 min (Yunus Guvenen Kiss100: August 29, 2003 / Closer Musik / Departures (Kompakt).

1. Import to ATRAC3plus 256kbps - approx. 75 seconds
  2. Import to PCM - approx. 60 seconds

Bummer. :( So 40ELK compatibility is like the RH910/RH10, while the remote works, it cannot display Artist, album, and track title at the same time utilizing the 3 lines. Funny thing is the DH710 and DH10P can do that, like the 1st gen units.

That is pretty fast uploading to PCM! Do you feel/hear the unit spin the disc faster? The DH10P sometimes can spin the disc faster, resulting in vibration, and I can hear the disc spinning.

Thanks for the answers Ishi. :)

Do you feel/hear the unit spin the disc faster?

I can't hear any discernible spin noise during uploads of legacy SP tracks.

Note: Thought you guys would be interested to know that the MZ-RH1's SonicStage 3.4 is of version 3.4.02.14020 and MD Simple Burner version 2.0.0.25150. These are the latest version before the advent of SonicStage CP 4.0.

Module Version:

1. SonicStage : 3.4.02.14020
  2. SonicStage Add-on for Personal Audio : 3.4.00.12140
  3. SonicStage Add-on for Personal Audio Download : 3.4.00.12140
  4. OpenMG Secure Module : 4.4.00.11241
  5. MagicGate Memory Stick Device : 4.2.00.06070
  6. NW-E2, NW-E3, NW-E5 and NW-E8P : 4.4.00.11241
  7. OpenMG CD : 4.4.00.11241
  8. M.S. PRO : 4.4.00.11241
  9. CD Walkman : 4.4.00.11241
  10. Hi-MD : 4.2.00.06070
  11. Music Clip, NW-S4, NW-E7 and NW-E10 : 4.4.00.11241
  12. HDWM : 4.4.00.11241
  13. Net MD : 4.2.00.06070
  14. EMD Plug-in: 1.2.0.9
  15. Playback Plug-in : 1.0.0.55
  16. CD-R Writing Module(Audio CD/ATRAC CD/MP3 CD) : 3.4.00.12140
  17. Px Engine: 2.7.33.500

I can't hear any discernible spin noise during uploads of legacy SP tracks.

Note: Thought you guys would be interested to know that the MZ-RH1's SonicStage 3.4 is of version 3.4.02.14020 and MD Simple Burner version 2.0.0.25150. These are the latest version before the advent of SonicStage CP 4.0.

Nice to see that all your findings up to now match the things I already found out with the prototype and already mentioned in the review. No need for a review of the review at the moment B)

The upload-speeds of legacy disc I found were:

Pentium IV 2.8 GHz PC

SP -> PCM 10x

SP -> Hi-SP 8x

mono -> PCM 16x

mono -> Hi-SP 12x

LP2 15x

LP4 26x

can i get a shot of the NH1 at eye level with RH1 on top for some hard core action j/k? I'd just like to get a better view of the difference in thickness as I can't see it as clearly from a higher angle there. Great pictorial though all the same :)

I'm sure its been answered, but if you record via optical in from a cd deck, are there upload restrictions with uploading those files to WAV on a computer?

I'd just like to get a better view of the difference in thickness as I can't see it as clearly from a higher angle there. Great pictorial though all the same :)

I will update the pictorial at a later date with that angle. ;)

I'm sure its been answered, but if you record via optical in from a cd deck, are there upload restrictions with uploading those files to WAV on a computer?

No upload restrictions of legacy MiniDiscs whatsoever.

Nice pics Ishi. Have you had an opportunity to compare audio sections between the RH1 and the NH1? I think it was mentioned that Sony has improved some of the circuitry around the HD amp in the RH1. Also do you have any side photos showing the angle of the front displays? The perspective and top-down shots don't show how far back the top of the main screen is skewed back from the bottom.

Nice pics Ishi. Have you had an opportunity to compare audio sections between the RH1 and the NH1? I think it was mentioned that Sony has improved some of the circuitry around the HD amp in the RH1. Also do you have any side photos showing the angle of the front displays? The perspective and top-down shots don't show how far back the top of the main screen is skewed back from the bottom.

Thanks! ;) Unfortunately, I have not conduct a SQ (HD Amp) test between the RH1 and the NH1. I will try and set aside time for it shortly.

Also do you have any side photos showing the angle of the front displays? The perspective and top-down shots don't show how far back the top of the main screen is skewed back from the bottom.

Not at the moment but I can definitely prep up another photo shoot. Front display as in its OLED display? or rather front face of the unit?

Yes, the OLED face. It's supposedly angled slightly so you can view the screens easily when the unit is set on a table. It's just that none of the pictures of the RH1 (even from Sony) I've seen really depict how much of an angle there is.

Ah yes, it is indeed angled - approx. 70°. I shall update the pictorial shortly. Thanks for the reminder. ;)

Have you had an opportunity to compare audio sections between the RH1 and the NH1? I think it was mentioned that Sony has improved some of the circuitry around the HD amp in the RH1.

I've updated the main post with my observations.

@ Rich: You may want to comment since you have had the chance to compare the MZ-RH1 and the MZ-EH1 briefly.

I've updated the main post with my observations.

@ Rich: You may want to comment since you have had the chance to compare the MZ-RH1 and the MZ-EH1 briefly.

I'll agree with that - when I went to Marck's place I took the DH10P and EH1 for comparison purposes. Whilst the difference in playback of MP3 between the DH10P and RH1 was clearly audible the difference in playback of 256 / 352 Atrac3+ between the RH1 and the EH1 / DH10P was not noticable. Admittedly I didn't have the best of headphones with me at the time nor did we go too in depth, but initial findings would backup what Ishii has said.

Ishi, are you considering getting rid of your NH1 now that you have the RH1? In all respects it seems to be a more than suitable replacement unit. I've been debating whether to keep all three units (NH1, RH10, RH1) or to sell the NH1 when I eventually get my hands on a RH1.

Ishi, are you considering getting rid of your NH1 now that you have the RH1? In all respects it seems to be a more than suitable replacement unit. I've been debating whether to keep all three units (NH1, RH10, RH1) or to sell the NH1 when I eventually get my hands on a RH1.

I am still keeping the NH1 regardless. ;)

Back to the topic of battery life – According to the user manual, battery life of the MZ-RH1 is somewhat identical (if not a little better) to the MZ-NH1. This is because the test was conducted with the "EL Light" in the menu set to "Auto Off."

I will try and conduct my own battery life test at a later date to confirm the published values. At the meantime, for your convenience, please find below:

1. MZ-RH1’s Battery Life which I have reproduced using data from the Japanese RH1 user manual.
  2. MZ-NH1's Battery Life from its service manual.
IPB Image

MZ-NH1

IPB Image

Ishi, just one question. I would like to buy a sharp boombox (MDLP) that I found here in chile and it has radio-cd-tape-md functions. Do you know if I record anything (radio, for instance) in the MD, it would be possible to upload it using the RH1? Could you give it a try and tell me?

please :P