Rich's Onkyo X-B8 Pictorial

Rate this topic

Onkyo X-B8 | Hi-MD System (2005)

Presenting my X-B8 bookshelf system. I may at some point include a review, but in the meantime please feel free to discuss and enjoy the pics! Thanks ;-)

Note: The transformer pictured is not supplied with the unit, this is just the one I happen to use.

All images © Copyright 2006 - Richard H.

DSC02251a.JPG  DSC02243a.JPG  DSC02245a.JPG  DSC02247a.JPG

DSC02248a.JPG  DSC02252a.JPG  DSC02253a.JPG  DSC02254a.JPG

DSC02255a.JPG  DSC02257a.JPG  DSC02258a.JPG  DSC02259a.JPG

DSC02260a.JPG  DSC02261a.JPG  DSC02262a.JPG

Remote Control | RC-603

DSC02263a.JPG

Step-Down Transformer | Koden TA-200

DSC02242a.JPG

Sorry ,I didn`t read the first two lines ;) .as i was amazed to see this gadget B)B) ..I think it`s time to shut the pc off ..I`m tired now :P:P

No problem - But to answer your question more fully it plays back Hi-MD's at all bitrates inc. 192 / 352 and LP2 on Hi-MD formatted discs and all the usual legacy modes to boot.

It will record directly to MD at PCM / 256 / 64 in Hi-MD mode or SP / Mono / LP2 / LP4 in standard MD format.

Very nice black. The piano finish on those speakers is wow. Did you buy this from Audiocubes? I'm kind of curious to see how the brown version looks.

Very nice black. The piano finish on those speakers is wow. Did you buy this from Audiocubes? I'm kind of curious to see how the brown version looks.

No I got it through pricejapan. The brown one Audiocubes lists must be the slightly lower model X-B7 as the X-B8 only has black or white options.

Oh, they need to update their site then. It says the Onkyo X-B8 comes in silver, brown, and black. But, I guess this isn't the first time that Audiocubes lists something incorrectly. Thanks for the heads up. I found a pic of the "brown." I guess I was expecting something darker (like a chocolate brown) and not wood-like.

Onkyo X-B7 (Y)

IPB Image

Yeah, I aggree, that finish on the speakers is pretty sweet. I take it that optical out only works for cd's? Not for the actual PCM playback of HIMD's? i.e no optical recording from himd?

So, when are you going to get a sub for that :lol:, if something has a subwoofer jack then YOU MUST get one, theres no other way about it!! Heck I wish MY micro system had a sub jack but hey.

Yeah, I aggree, that finish on the speakers is pretty sweet. I take it that optical out only works for cd's? Not for the actual PCM playback of HIMD's? i.e no optical recording from himd?

So, when are you going to get a sub for that :lol: , if something has a subwoofer jack then YOU MUST get one, theres no other way about it!! Heck I wish MY micro system had a sub jack but hey.

The optical out is indeed just for the CD section. As for the subwoofer it's not on my list at the moment, but if at some point I upgrade to a proper home cinema setup (of which Onkyo has some very nice options even here in Europe) then maybe I'll use it. For the moment though the bass (and indeed the sound in general) is just great as it is. B)

The optical out is indeed just for the CD section. As for the subwoofer it's not on my list at the moment, but if at some point I upgrade to a proper home cinema setup (of which Onkyo has some very nice options even here in Europe) then maybe I'll use it. For the moment though the bass (and indeed the sound in general) is just great as it is. B)

'

Very nice, wish it wasn't so pricey. I like Onkyo's components, I have an amp/reciever for my home theater made by Onkyo. Honestly, I just want a Hi-MD deck with optical out to connect to my stereos-- is that so much to ask? Wish Onkyo had included that in their mini deck.

'

Very nice, wish it wasn't so pricey.

They have come down quite a bit in price now - you can now get these for around ¥40000 or less than $400 USD. Obviously you need to budget for shipping and import taxes if you are outside Japan.

LOl ..It`s not a walkman ..It`s bigger than a Walkman :lol::lol:

You missed the point, which was that the taxes charged depend on your local customs. Price Japan (where Rich got his deck) doesn't charge any taxes themselves. :rolleyes: Read carefully, Stuge.

You missed the point, which was that the taxes charged depend on your local customs. Price Japan (where Rich got his deck) doesn't charge any taxes themselves. :rolleyes: Read carefully, Stuge.

Yes, you will pay import tax / duty on something this size and value, but the rates will indeed depend on your local authority. (That post from T-board was I think responding to another question about importing Walkman's).

What I just meant to say is that obviously when you think about importing a unit like this you need to budget for shipping and taxes.

Hey ,I wanted to know how much did he gave to Customs department (When the parcel reached his country ).

Hey ,I wanted to know how much did he gave to Customs department (When the parcel reached his country ).

And since you're in India and he's in the Netherlands, this information is useful to you how? Remember that curiosity killed the cat. If Rich hasn't mentioned how much he spent on taxes/etc by now, then perhaps he'd like to keep that information off of a public forum, no? Have to respect other people's hints and wishes. :P

And since you're in India and he's in the Netherlands, this information is useful to you how? Remember that curiosity killed the cat. If Rich hasn't mentioned how much he spent on taxes/etc by now, then perhaps he'd like to keep that information off of a public forum, no? Have to respect other people's hints and wishes. :P

It's ok - I have PM'd Stuge the details though. ;)

It's ok - I don't generally like to shout too much in public about what I spend on this or that. I have PM'd Stuge the details though. ;)

Hehe, Rich. I was hinting to Stuge to leave that info off of a public forum and PM you. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

hi i have this onkyo FR X-B8 hi-md unit ,TOO

BUT I FOUND IT HAVE NO CD-TEXT SO YOU CAN'T COPY CD-TEXT NAME TO MD AND THIS UNIT HAVE NO AUTO-PRESENT IN FM 90-108 MHZ FREQUENCEY RANGE YOU CAN ONLY MANUAL IT'S FM IT'S MY EXPERIENCE -_-http://tw.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hommeskim...35d.jpg&.src=ph

hi i have this onkyo FR X-B8 hi-md unit ,TOO

BUT I FOUND IT HAVE NO CD-TEXT SO YOU CAN'T COPY CD-TEXT NAME TO MD AND THIS UNIT HAVE NO AUTO-PRESENT IN FM 90-108 MHZ FREQUENCEY RANGE YOU CAN ONLY MANUAL IT'S FM IT'S MY EXPERIENCE -_-http://tw.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hommeskim...35d.jpg&.src=ph

The FM presets work fine for me across the full range - I have some set at 100.3 and 99.4. The auto-scan also seems ok in these ranges too.

Edit: Yes you are right that the auto-preset scan only finds the 10 strongest as far as 89.9. :rolleyes: Ok. Haven't really noticed that before as I don't use the radio that much and the presets I do have were all set manually.

I actually record digital radio to MD via the optical in.

The CD Text function doesn't exist indeed. This doesn't really bother me too much.

One of the nicest features on this unit is the timer capabilities.

There are 4 timers each of which can be set to play or rec from various sources either once off or on a recurring schedule. And if I understood it correct the schedules can overlap.

Eg.

Timer 1 Rec from FM every Mon, Wed, Fri from 8am to 10am

Timer 2 Play CD every day 10-11am

Timer 3 Rec from CD to MD once at tomrorrow 9pm etc..

One of the nicest features on this unit is the timer capabilities.

There are 4 timers each of which can be set to play or rec from various sources either once off or on a recurring schedule. And if I understood it correct the schedules can overlap.

Eg.

Timer 1 Rec from FM every Mon, Wed, Fri from 8am to 10am

Timer 2 Play CD every day 10-11am

Timer 3 Rec from CD to MD once at tomrorrow 9pm etc..

There were a few people looking for this feature to replace their MD decks. I don't think many people know about it. I didn't realise it had it.

There were a few people looking for this feature to replace their MD decks. I don't think many people know about it. I didn't realise it had it.

I will have to give it a try but if I also understood the manual correct you can program it to record from optical / line-in on a schedule too.

• 1 month later...

Brilliant! That is one fabulous looking bookshelf. Thanks for taking the time to share this pictorial with us. :ok:

Hi there !I'm new to forums so if i'm posting in the wrong place don't be too hard on me .What I want to know is ; what is what you all call a" bookshelf" and is it just another word for "deck" ? I happen to own two Micro Hi-Fi Component Systems(Sony-MNT and CMT-M100MD° which give me full satisfaction with md and mdlp recording( I get my classical music straight from the tuner recorded on the md player incorporated in the unit . Yes but now we have hi-md and I have to rely on my MZ NH 700 if I want to record in Hi-md and I don't have the quality of sound I used to enjoy . So... what I would very much like to know(as well as the meaning of 'bookshelf') is : is there a micro hi-fi component System(that's what Sony calls it on the operating manuals) for hi-md? If anyone can help,thanks.Live in France . Cheers.

Edited by Olga

AFAIK,

A bookshelf fits on a shelf whereas a deck doesn't. its too big. A micro hi-fi component System is IMO a bit smaller than a bookshelf.

Don't you like the system in this thread the Onkyo X-B8?

Yea ,I've just re-read this whole thread and realised that this Onkyo -B8 might just be exactly what I'm looking for. But what happens if the unit needs repairing any time ? Does it have to be sent all the way back to Japan ?

The timer for recording seems like a great improvement.

How does the hifi md Sony LAM-X1 compare with richyhu's Onkyo X-B8 unit ?

Anyone looked into it ?

Yea ,I've just re-read this whole thread and realised that this Onkyo -B8 might just be exactly what I'm looking for. But what happens if the unit needs repairing any time ? Does it have to be sent all the way back to Japan ?

The timer for recording seems like a great improvement.

How does the hifi md Sony LAM-X1 compare with richyhu's Onkyo X-B8 unit ?

Anyone looked into it ?

Pretty crappy compared to the Onyko. Sure the LAM-X1 is one hell of a looker HOWEVER it has no tuner period. Compare that with the world band tuner of the X-B8 and well the fact that the LAM-X1costs double even through Price Japan and well its your choice. In terms of quality though I'd assume bothj would be similar as they are both Made in Japan. Not sure though if the LAM-X1 can copy CD text though. And hey richyhu, what's your source of info that this unit does indeed use Atrac Type-S? I looked through the manual and could not find any info about it.

Edited by finalcoolman

The Lam-X1 also has absolutely no in/out connections apart from the USB. It does have Kanji titling, but no tuner and much lower output.

The Atrac Type-S thing is in the manual somewhere (or on the box or something), but trust me it does use it. ;)