Disc erased after recording?!

Rate this topic

Hello,

I had two of my minidisc mysteriously erase after I recorded a show on them. I place them in the recorder (my Sony MZN-707) and the "BLANKDISC" message appears.

I carefully store my discs and I am not certain how this happened?

Any suggestions on how to keep this from happening again? I know I didn't erase them.

Also, is there any way to retain the information? Someone mentioned TOC cloning at the thread on this board located at http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=15481&hl=

When something is erased, it is really gone or are just the track pointers gone.

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris

Chris, this usually occurs when the magnetic head has died. It is the unit at fault and not the disc.

It is just the TOC that is changed. Just for fun I've "erased" a disc in my deck and them pulled the power (performs TOC edit prior to ejection). When I turn it back on my disc magically has all my music back on it!

Chris: Sounds like what happened to my N1. After its recording ability was lost, I was still able to use it as a player-only unit. But, then after a while, even the playback ability was going berzerk. Good luck!

CRAP! My MZ-N505 is doing the same thing(granted it's stuff recorded fron the PC, but still)...

Jaylen, how long did you continue to have playback funcionality(like was it a matter of days or months)? Just trying to figure out how long I've got till my player goes tits up alltogether and I have to shell out $$$ for a new one(was kinda hoping it'd last at least long enough till the Hi-MD players got some decent battery life... Oh well).

Jaylen, how long did you continue to have playback funcionality(like was it a matter of days or months)?

It probably depends on how often you use it. For me, I had other MD players (lol N505 is one of them) and a deck so once the N1 went a little screwy, it started seeing less use. It was less than 2 months before I sold it to a friend who is an engineering student and wanted to play around with it. Could have probably gone for a little longer. The playback berzerk didn't happen all the time, but often enough that it was noticeable and getting irritating.

It probably depends on how often you use it. For me, I had other MD players (lol N505 is one of them) and a deck so once the N1 went a little screwy, it started seeing less use. It was less than 2 months before I sold it to a friend who is an engineering student and wanted to play around with it. Could have probably gone for a little longer. The playback berzerk didn't happen all the time, but often enough that it was noticeable and getting irritating.

Well, as my only player it gets fairly heavy use, so that's not looking too good. And here I thought I was saving up my money for some computer upgrades... :rolleyes:

i had exactly the same problem & stopped using it when even playback only mode it started to delete tracks off dics.

i had exactly the same problem & stopped using it when even playback only mode it started to delete tracks off dics.

:shok: Boy, you guys really know how to make a fella all calm and at peace with the situation! Anything else I should know about, or does it actually stop getting worse here?

that's about as bad as it gets. i have a few mdlp players so my only recorder is now a paper weight.

Thats usefull...

You can get cheeper Paper Weights you know... :lol:

I had this problem with a Hi-MD disc... Just it turned out to be a disc problem...

Edited by danielbb90