[Price-Watch Thread] for the MZ-RH1 in the UK

Rate this topic

1kyle

Here's the current Sony list price for the UK. GBP 249. Before our US cousins die of horror remember UK prices are shown INCLUSIVE of tax whereas in the US you have to add on various state / federal / city taxes which make the US advertised prices seem much cheaper than they really are.

Now List prices are invariably higher than "Street Prices" so I'd expect this to be available for under 200 GBP (probably GBP 199.99 in "shop speak") - especially in "haggle areas" like London's Tottenham Court Road".

Availability in May.

Can't wait to get my grubby mits on it.

1 GBP = 1.44 EUR / 1.79 USD (rates vary but this is about the mean at the moment).

Here's the article (gives quite a positive feel for MD as well).

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/85445/sony-mak...d-walkmans.html

Cheers

-H

Edited by 1kyle

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the current Sony list price for the UK. GBP 249. Before our US cousins die of horror remember UK prices are shown INCLUSIVE of tax whereas in the US you have to add on various state / federal / city taxes which make the US advertised prices seem much cheaper than they really are.

Now List prices are invariably higher than "Street Prices" so I'd expect this to be available for under 200 GBP (probably GBP 199.99 in "shop speak") - especially in "haggle areas" like London's Tottenham Court Road".

Availability in May.

Can't wait to get my grubby mits on it.

1 GBP = 1.44 EUR / 1.79 USD (rates vary but this is about the mean at the moment).

Cheers

-H

That's good news... but experience prooves that when the GBP or USD cross the Channel for the first and the Atlantic Ocean for the second the "parity" in never on the boat.

One USD becomes One Euro, in best cases, and One GBP something like this.

Poor Europeans and poor Frenchies that we are. Is Paypal the best way not to be stolen ?

Regards to you all.

I sincerely hope for Sony's sake and mine that the rrp will be £199.99.

At £249, Sony are asking to remain uncompetitive, regardless of the intended market (i.e recording enthusiasts)because dap's-as strictly portable music players-have become the bread and butter of the consumer electronics industry.

We all know Sony has always charged a premium for their products, but that was back in the heyday of Walkman a decade or so ago, when Sony was THE name in consumer electronics. Of course, nowadays, we don't call dap's Walkmans, they have all been branded 'ipods'. -_-

Sorry for the rant, my point is that they must get off their arses and make up some serious ground to the nemesis that is Apple. And make sure the RH1 is £199 :P

I think £249 is an ok price and reflects the quality of the build, i just bought a NH1 for £117 new though so it may be hard to persuade existing users to upgrade, my mate is in a band and they have already put aside the money for a rh1 as it offers them a good recording solution for a relatively small price, Hi-MD prices fall fast and i expect £199 will be available from other suppliers from the off.

Cheers

-H

Unfortunately, while the article is positive, it fails to point out the fact that Hi-MD discs are very cheap (compared to Flash cards like SD, etc.) and that recording can also be analogue line in or microphone. Those are two points that really differentiate Minidisc from other removable media devices.

• 3 weeks later...

-H

I might be in the minority here, but I almost never have to pay state, federal or city taxes, if I buy something through the Internet. To my knowledge, unless the online retailer you are buying from is located in your state, you don't have to pay the state or federal taxes, with few exceptions. The only time I remember have to pay sales taxes, is when I bought something from Dell.com, because aparently, Dell has a center in my state. So, the price shown is the price I pay, except of course, I still have to pay the shipping.

Having looked around on the forum and discovered people talking about the RH1, I'm really keen to get one - does anyone know any trusted Japanese e-retailers, that I can buy from? And do poeple tend to get manuals on-line in English if they buy from abroad?

Thanks for your help.

M

Having looked around on the forum and discovered people talking about the RH1, I'm really keen to get one - does anyone know any trusted Japanese e-retailers, that I can buy from? And do poeple tend to get manuals on-line in English if they buy from abroad?

Thanks for your help.

M

The only thing against I see is the warranty. Maybe too risky.

regards

I've just ordered one from AudioCubes (and I ordered a seperate Sony RM-MC40ELK remote). Total (for both items and shipping) came to just under £300 ($524). Pretty damn near the Sony RRP (I think) - and a Japanese unit that isn't volume restricted,

Another bonus in my book - AudioCubes accept paypal as a method of payment. I dont have a credit card, so this came as a bit of a fortune for me :)

I've just ordered one from AudioCubes (and I ordered a seperate Sony RM-MC40ELK remote). Total (for both items and shipping) came to just under £300 ($524). Pretty damn near the Sony RRP (I think) - and a Japanese unit that isn't volume restricted,

Another bonus in my book - AudioCubes accept paypal as a method of payment. I dont have a credit card, so this came as a bit of a fortune for me :)

Marcnet - don't you think you grossly overpaid for this? Soundprofessionals.com has the RH1 for $299. Audiocubes has the remote for $79...total $378 compared to your $524.\

Are you rich and just don't care?

$299 is £160! Christ! I may well consider one of these babies sooner or later :). Having just regenerated my MZ-N510 back to life, I am now well on with MD again :D .

Just because the exchange rate gives you that figure, it doesn't follow that that is how much they will cost in the UK. Historically MD has been more expensive in the UK than it should be compared to US prices.

Maybe I'm being a bit pessamistic, but I doubt whether you will see it anywhere for less than 200UKP.

I ordered off AudioCubes because it was basically the first site that:

1) I saw selling a MZ-RH1

2) Had a MZ-RH1 (black) import from Japan. (not a capped EU model)

3) Were able to ship asap (ie: not pre-order) <- Im too impatient to wait for June

FIRST SHIPMENT EXPECTED IN JUNE

4) Were able to accept English (UK) debt cards or some other form of electronic payment that I could use (I dont have a CC - This has quite a large impact on me not being able to purchase from most overseas sites) - AudioCubes accept PayPal as a method of payment. -

Also remeber that I pay in £ not $... so $429 is only £250 (there abouts) which is what I would probrablly have to fork out for a UK model (when its eventually released here) with capped volume

Of course, when it comes, I will probably have to pay import duty :/ Damn Government :/

Basically, yes. :P

And before I saw the device on AudioCubes, I was tempted with this rather pricey ebay "offer"

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sony-MZ-RH1-MiniDisc...1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by marcnet

Marcnet - don't you think you grossly overpaid for this? Soundprofessionals.com has the RH1 for $299. Audiocubes has the remote for $79...total $378 compared to your $524.\

Marcnet cancel your order now & buy it from Sound Professionals ..they also accept paypal ..

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/...tem/SONY-MZ-RH1

A small advice from me as well ..

Edited by stuge

Marcnet cancel your order now & buy it from Sound Professionals ..they also accept paypal ..

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/...tem/SONY-MZ-RH1

I dont really mind... and id rather not wait a month or have a EU capped model

Besides a refund from AudioCubes will get skimmed off by PayPal As I dont have a business account with them (PayPal) they will take a percentage off the PayPal -> PayPal transaction.

To much hassle to cancel and re-order with someone else, and I really dont mind - But thanks for caring :)

Edited by marcnet

Just because the exchange rate gives you that figure, it doesn't follow that that is how much they will cost in the UK. Historically MD has been more expensive in the UK than it should be compared to US prices.

Maybe I'm being a bit pessamistic, but I doubt whether you will see it anywhere for less than 200UKP.

I know it won't be the price in Britain (bloody rip off country!). As the topic states, it'll be £249 RRP and most stores (if they ever sell it) will keep close to the mark.

I am so tempted to sell off my MP3 DAP Player (iAudio M3). Bloody fantastic player, but I don't use it enough now (as I don't go to college anymore). I will always love the MD format and this will be great to side with first purcahse of the MZ-N510 (which I still use now!). I'll now be able to make SP recordings with my MD Deck optically knowing that I can always upload them if I need to :D.

Was in my local Sony Centre today & they have a UK release date of 29th June @ GBP 249.00 ........... so looks like I'll have to wait a bit longer, not happy !!!!

Damn you're joking!! When I went to my sony centre in Chelmsford a month ago they said May! I'm already selling my MZ-NH1 to raise the cash for the RH1, so I'll be with out my walkman for 2 Months! :(

Lion

I dont really mind... and id rather not wait a month or have a EU capped model

Besides a refund from AudioCubes will get skimmed off by PayPal As I dont have a business account with them (PayPal) they will take a percentage off the PayPal -> PayPal transaction.

To much hassle to cancel and re-order with someone else, and I really dont mind - But thanks for caring :)

Ok ..I hope you will get your RH1 soon :ok:

Japan-Direct have now started to sell the product! (which I'm really happy to see :D) In black and silver! / US$466.01 inc. Shipping

From the UK point of view, I could get it now for that price which is £250 and its uncapped as well. But, I'm undecided whether to wait and get it from soundprofessionals for £193 (inc. shipping) and not know what colour it would be. Saving £50, is it worth it?

I love the black and I am so tempted to put the order in now.

can i trust www.cheapelectricals.co.uk?

I don't know, just found them on the web. I've walked into Ask Electronics before though, they're ok. They are on Tottenham Court Road in London. They aren't always the cheapest, but when I bought my MZ-R50 back in 1997 they were reasonable.

Lion

I don't know, just found them on the web......

Lion

Just realised that www.cheapelectricals.co.uk is on my way home from work!! they're near Braintree in Essex, so if there's any trust issues, I'll go round there and break a few legs! ;) LOL! Just sent them an email asking if they have the RH1 in stock. £210 including delivery isn't bad at all! But obviously I'd go collect it.

http://www.cheapelectricals.co.uk/acatalog...ered_Free_.html

Lion

I don't know, just found them on the web. I've walked into Ask Electronics before though, they're ok. They are on Tottenham Court Road in London. They aren't always the cheapest, but when I bought my MZ-R50 back in 1997 they were reasonable.

Lion

Ask Direct are excellent. I got my MP3 Player from there. I had trouble with the unit only after a week. My dad took the receipt and unit back to the shop, and they happily exchanged it.

Glad to see more UK e-tailers selling it. But is it worth it buying from them as they'll have the untis with the sound restriction :(.

I'll have to wait and see.

Ask Direct are excellent. I got my MP3 Player from there. I had trouble with the unit only after a week. My dad took the receipt and unit back to the shop, and they happily exchanged it.

Glad to see more UK e-tailers selling it. But is it worth it buying from them as they'll have the untis with the sound restriction :(.

I'll have to wait and see.

Yeah but the restriction can be overcome can't it? At least they'll have a proper UK warranty.

Lion

Yeah but the restriction can be overcome can't it? At least they'll have a proper UK warranty.

Lion

I thought the restriction cannot be overcome as its to with the PCB rather than the firmware. Maybe I'm wrong with the new generation of models, but I'm sure I've read many times here, you can only over the european limitation if you purchase a portable amp. Not really worth spendin the extra money for that when you can import from Japan.

Please someone correct if I'm wrong. I'm sure this is true unfortunately. Damn european legislation!

I thought the restriction cannot be overcome as its to with the PCB rather than the firmware. Maybe I'm wrong with the new generation of models, but I'm sure I've read many times here, you can only over the european limitation if you purchase a portable amp. Not really worth spendin the extra money for that when you can import from Japan.

Please someone correct if I'm wrong. I'm sure this is true unfortunately. Damn european legislation!

I honestly don't know! I know previous models have been unlocked including the harddisk 20GB walkmans somehow. But yeah maybe it's capped in Hardware now.? ....But I doubt it because it would mean manufacturing a different PCB for the Europeans and I can't see that happening because of the extra costs involved. It would be much more cost effective to have the limiting function in Firmware so that it can be changed.

Lion