[Price-Watch Thread] for the MZ-RH1 in the UK

Rate this topic

1kyle

I've just ordered one online with ASKDirect then rang up to make sure i got one of the ones in stock, he said I had and it was already being processed. I asked how many more he had in and he said he *thinks* that was the last one since they only had a small order in (guy in the portable players department said they only had two in).

-zahg

If they only had two in, then yours was indeed the last one, because I had my order with ASKDirect confirmed just two hours earlier than you, after having read Tunster's latest post! :D Thanks Tunster!

P.S. You ought to be on commission (even though ASKDirect must be slashing their margins)

Edited by yofi

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not a problem.

I did find out interestingly that the trade price of these RH1s are £200. I found this out when going into a Sony Centre store 3 weeks ago. Whether this is the price that shops buy it out as (then excluding VAT to the £200), then AskDirect have done us a good deal at their expense :).

Well the guy on the shop floor wasnt really sure but he said they had had two in on this order - so if you got one couple hours before me I would have the third one - anyway I'm pretty sure I've got one so not too worried unless it doesnt arrive by Tuesday. Thanks for the tipoff Tunster!

I had been waiting to make a compilation album with tracks off old MDLP disks and wanted to use the RH1 to get the tracks off instead of re-recording in realtime (like I would normally do) but was a bit pee'ed off I would have to wait till end of July, so well chuffed! Anyone want to buy an Jap MZ-RH10 or a hardly used MZ-RH910?

If they only had two in, then yours was indeed the last one, because I had my order with ASKDirect confirmed just two hours earlier than you, after having read Tunster's latest post! :D Thanks Tunster!

P.S. You ought to be on commission (even though ASKDirect must be slashing their margins)

Theres a bit of confusion over prices I think, I rang the Sony Centre in Bristol a couple of weeks ago and they quoted me a RRP of £199 (they had no stock tho) and I've seen a couple of mentions from other people on this forum saying the price would be 200.

Its not a problem.

I did find out interestingly that the trade price of these RH1s are £200. I found this out when going into a Sony Centre store 3 weeks ago. Whether this is the price that shops buy it out as (then excluding VAT to the £200), then AskDirect have done us a good deal at their expense :).

Just been to Sony Centre in Reading, UK - the had a black RH1 in stock at 250 GBP. Also had 3 different legacy decks... Enquired about the EX90SL headphones - they have had some stock in of these but sold out straight away.. at 90GBP!!!

Just been to Sony Centre in Reading, UK - the had a black RH1 in stock at 250 GBP. Also had 3 different legacy decks... Enquired about the EX90SL headphones - they have had some stock in of these but sold out straight away.. at 90GBP!!!

Rich, the Sony Centre I use in Portsmouth has the EX90's in stock for the Sony RRP of £69.99, not sure if they are the SL or LP though - will find out tomorrow as I'm probably going to get a pair!

Plus, your not that far away from me, Reading can only be an hour or so drive from Portsmouth (on the south coast) - worth it for a £20 saving?!

Edited by Rob F1UK

Plus, your not that far away from me, Reading can only be an hour or so drive from Portsmouth (on the south coast) - worth it for a £20 saving?!

But the way things are going, that drive will prob cost you £40 in fuel.

I would guess Reading to Portsmouth would be more like 2 hours each way with all the traific.

Back on topic, I am just waiting for the price to drop below £190 before I order one. Don't want to do the same as I did with my NH1 and RH10 and pay full price days before the price goes down.

But the way things are going, that drive will prob cost you £40 in fuel.

I would guess Reading to Portsmouth would be more like 2 hours each way with all the traific.

Back on topic, I am just waiting for the price to drop below £190 before I order one. Don't want to do the same as I did with my NH1 and RH10 and pay full price days before the price goes down.

Consider askdirect.co.uk at £204. B)

From the sound of things, you'd have to wait for their next batch.

Just to help people out.....

http://www.0-one.co.uk/sonymzrh1-p-47382.html?ref=9f567r2 (They have 2 in stock at time of writing)

http://www.pcwb.com/catalogue/item/SONCA55...le&lead=froogle (14 days - if you're really desperate!)

http://www.macwarehouse.co.uk/catalogue/it...koo&lead=kelkoo (14 days as well)

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/prod...e~make~Sony.htm (7 - 10days at just under £200 - cheapest I've seen)

Having searched the internet, if anyone is in need of one in the UK, all these sites are the last I can find. Try the top link first or ring up the others as well.

Just to let you know I have received my RH1 from ASK, cost was £204 inc delivery which was UPS, less than a day to arrive is pretty impressive. Having a play now - first impressions very slick looking thing, buttons/controls seem a bit fiddly tho.

Just to help people out.....

http://www.0-one.co.uk/sonymzrh1-p-47382.html?ref=9f567r2 (They have 2 in stock at time of writing)

http://www.pcwb.com/catalogue/item/SONCA55...le&lead=froogle (14 days - if you're really desperate!)

http://www.macwarehouse.co.uk/catalogue/it...koo&lead=kelkoo (14 days as well)

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/prod...e~make~Sony.htm (7 - 10days at just under £200 - cheapest I've seen)

Having searched the internet, if anyone is in need of one in the UK, all these sites are the last I can find. Try the top link first or ring up the others as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone in the UK desperate for one?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sony-Minidisc-Record...1QQcmdZViewItem

This eBay item is starting off at £175! 6 days left on the item with no bids. Bag a bargain while you can ;).

Damn, you saw that too? just when I thought I was the only one (yeah, call wishful thinking...). Its the only one available on Ebay UK and the minimum price is really and intelligently good. The units available on Ebay Germany are insanely priced, sellers are totally out of their mind (400/500/600 euros).

I already got mine and I wanna buy one for my cousin, but I'm under the impression that this one could go far beyond its intial retail price (220£)

Edited by Norick

Damn, you saw that too? just when I thought I was the only one (yeah, call wishful thinking...). Its the only one available on Ebay UK and the minimum price is really and intelligently good. The units available on Ebay Germany are insanely priced, sellers are totally out of their mind (400/500/600 euros).

I already got mine and I wanna buy one for my cousin, but I'm under the impression that this one could go far beyond its intial retail price (220£)

Just don't bid until the last dying minutes. Don't reckon many people will have seen it.

Hello there

I know that im not really an active member of this forum but im an old wolf as far as md -since mzr30!!

you should check this on-line shop in Greece from where i bought my Mz-rh1 ,the best md by far

€279.30 i think is really good

And i think they do ship internationally

The only problem its that the site is in Greek-Im greek so i didnt have any problem really :)

But ill gladly help anyone with the laguage

Hello all,

This is my first post! I have just preordered my MZ-RH1, but Sony say they don't have any positive stock till the end of June. The retailer where I got it from (askdirect) didn't respond to my email asking when it is coming back in stock. Everywhere else says 14 days on their site, but it has been like that for several days! LOL. Just wondering if anyone knows the stock situation for the UK or has bought any in the UK? Really looking forward to getting this one!!

Russ

Several people have picked up RH1's here in the UK, but it depends on how "lucky" you get. I think AskDirect have had them in and sold out again. I know for a fact that some Sony Centres have them, so check there if you are desperate, but you will have to pay the full RRP of £250 if you do.

My RH1 was sourced from my local (Portsmouth) Sony Centre if that is of any use to you.

Thanks RobF1Uk,

Yeah I noticed my local Sony dealer had them in, a day after I ordered one. Doh! I don't mind waiting, it's just you get told one thing from one shop, and another from somewhere else about stock. The Sony lady said they were very popular. For anyone else looking, I noticed this company have (apparently) them in stock:-

http://www.atlantic2u.net/store/viewproduc...?idproduct=6668

£213 with shipping

Man, am I fed up. I must have walked the length of Oxford Street,searched the whole web, looking for a RH1. From having a man in my local Sony centre telling me that the RH1 was an old model, and I must be after the RH10 , to peole looking at me like I was a from 1980(Mini Disc, what is that ) In my frustration, I sent off a e-mail to Sony Europe, and rang Sonys customer help line. I was told that the RH1 is the only Mini disc Sony do. It's only been out for 6 weeks, and as the demand for Hard drive/MP3 players is all the rage, Sony haven't made many. I was also told that this COULD be the last Mini disc Sony make before they phrase them out, but thats nothing no one here hasn't heard before.

Thanks RobF1Uk,

Yeah I noticed my local Sony dealer had them in, a day after I ordered one. Doh! I don't mind waiting, it's just you get told one thing from one shop, and another from somewhere else about stock. The Sony lady said they were very popular. For anyone else looking, I noticed this company have (apparently) them in stock:-

http://www.atlantic2u.net/store/viewproduc...?idproduct=6668

£213 with shipping

Thanks for that. Have just spoken to and ordered my RH1, and should come with on Tuesday, God Willing. Thanks again! :D

Damn, the RH1 on Ebay UK went for 265£!! Thats how rare that baby is...I wanted to join the party as well (I already have one, but my cousin also wants one), but when I asked the guy about product warranty he gave me a vague answer, telling me that Sony was "probably" gonna take care of it in case smth happened. The thing is that he claims his RH1 is an unwanted gift, which is fine by me, but Sony needs some kind of proof of purchase or receipt in order for the unit to be repaired. He didn't seem to have that (at least he kept silent when asked about it), which is somehow understandable since its a gift (and people who make gift don't always give you the receipt with it - common courtesy or smth).

Unless Sony handles the whole warranty issue like Apple does (ie no need for a receipt, you just gotta give the unit serial number), I don't know...

You have to buy 10 to get them at that price though.

Anyone living near Harrow can pop into Harrow Audio and buy 1 MB discs over the counter for £3-95, even if they only buy one of them. They are cheap for 80 min. ones too (pack of 10 Sony Neige for £6-50). They do mail order too under the name "Pricebusters", but the postage bumps the price right up. Don't go there next Saturday 1 July though as it's closed for the day according to a notice in their window!

Pricebusters

Hello all,

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that is if you buy ten. Still good deal, free postage on everything.

Just heard that the new stock release has been moved from July to August. I'm still waiting for mine, and I'm hoping this isn't true. Has anyone got a confirmation from any store for when they arrive in the UK? Much appreciated.

Russ :blink:

Just heard that the new stock release has been moved from July to August. I'm still waiting for mine, and I'm hoping this isn't true. Has anyone got a confirmation from any store for when they arrive in the UK? Much appreciated.

Russ :blink:

If you mean the RH1, its already come out. For some reason, Sony are dishing out small amounts of stock to retailers meaning that they running out fast quickly, especially after the first batch a couple weeks ago. Hopefully Sony now realise its more popular than what they thought and produce/ship out more of them.

I was lucky to get one in the first batch from AskDirect. Really happy with the thought that I am probably one in a couple of thousand people to have this machine :D .

Hello tunster,

You are lucky to get one!! LOL. Apparently, 10/8/06 is the date Sony quote when receiving new stocks of the MZ-RH1, and then forward the stock to retailers. Even more of a wait!! %^&*ing hell! This should help anyone out who has been led to believe they will be here from late June onwards. Agree that Sony should have release a sufficient number.

Just a question also. How come Sony centres charge more compared to independent retailers. Is there some kind of special warranty or guarantee if it goes wrong, what's the deal?

Hello tunster,

You are lucky to get one!! LOL. Apparently, 10/8/06 is the date Sony quote when receiving new stocks of the MZ-RH1, and then forward the stock to retailers. Even more of a wait!! %^&*ing hell! This should help anyone out who has been led to believe they will be here from late June onwards. Agree that Sony should have release a sufficient number.

Just a question also. How come Sony centres charge more compared to independent retailers. Is there some kind of special warranty or guarantee if it goes wrong, what's the deal?

Sony always charge top prices for all their products. Other retailers want to compete and will dip the price closer to the trade price they get the RH1 for. This will get less profit for the retailer, but guarentee a sale :).

IFTS,

How about ringing these people up to see if they really have RH1's in stock, as advertised

http://www.0-one.co.uk/mz-rh1-p-47382.html

I know nothing about the company, mind you.

Hi Yofi,

Thanks for that, I did see that aswell, and I haven't hear of them either. So I'm not sure about them, but emailed them anyway. No reply yet. Might end up seeing if the Sony Centre guy is getting one in tomorrow or not, and just get it there and then. Lol. Alas, he is probably stringing me along.

I thought as much about the pricing difference. Probably all that's different is you can take it to them and they will sort it out if it goes wrong, hopefully much quicker than others.

Regarding battery replacements for the RH1. Another forum mentions the high price for them in some places. The official Sony spares dept do them for £36 with Vat and carriage. I put the info on the thread:-

Spare LIP-4WM batteries

Hope it is of some use to somebody.

Cheers.